Down memory lane: 12000 SS class March 25, 2021 03:47PM
It's been 30+ years since the weight was lowered.
There are a few videos on youtube of Louisville and Tomah (Tomah may be when it wss dropped to 11000 lbs).

I remember all the wheel weights, and some unexpected results. Two favorite memories are Indiana Stste Fair, 1979 when Don Berry won a 4 way pulloff in a class that had 30 or so tractors; amd a guy I never heard of named Joe Pat Hughes winning a Labor Day national pull at Evansville on a Moline G-1000.

What are your thoughts/memories of the days when guys would weight up?

(Bonus ?- How many pullers can you think of that only ran the 12000 class?
I believe the 6030s of John Bockwitz and Paul Friedrich,Don Berry, Richard Overmeyer, Dale Haley only ran the heavy class. Did Jim Grove ever run at 12000, or did he only run at 15000 (later 14000)?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2021 03:48PM by The Original Michael.

Re: Down memory lane: 12000 SS class March 25, 2021 04:16PM
Bob Thompson. Illinois Streaker

Re: Down memory lane: 12000 SS class March 26, 2021 12:36AM
There an awful lot of big named pullers that pulled in the 12,000ss class. All colors pulled in that class.

Re: Down memory lane: 12000 SS class March 26, 2021 11:41AM
I was there when Joe Pat Hughes won in Evansville! He was the last hook of the class (and Dave Stangle positioned the sled). The Hughes Brothers (Max & Joe Pat) were from close to home and they are part of the reason I love molines! The picture below if of Joe Pat (I'm not sure who get the credit for the picture). Other 12SS I saw were the Armstead Family and their big John Deere's (Morning Train, Night Train, and others)

Hughes Brothers

Re: Down memory lane: 12000 SS class March 27, 2021 12:00PM
chris is there any way i could get an 8x10 of that picture. Several years ago i bought the tractor and brought it to the other end of Tn then it went to Ga and back to Illinois, I probably should have kept it but things happen and priorities changed. I don't know if Doug Bend still has it but it was a unique piece. Mr. Hughes still has the tires we changed them at Danny Floods place and Steve Smith brought the service truck. I did get it unstuck but one head was bad but it had a bunch of guys wondering what i was gonna do with three big molines.

Re: Down memory lane: 12000 SS class January 07, 2024 06:52AM
Hey ol george. I saw where you said you had bought the moline, wasn’t quite sure if you knew where or who had it now.
Contact me at 270-293-6765

Off brands March 27, 2021 04:50PM
ccarlisle
The Hughes Brothers (Max & Joe Pat) were from close to home and they are part of the reason. Other 12SS I saw were the Armstead Family and their big John Deere's (Morning Train, Night Train, and others)

Cool! One other off-brand tractor from your neck of the woods that was good in the 12 SS was the Cat's Meow Oliver 2255 of the Donaldson family.

There were several Molines from Illinois, most notably Don Nolan. Not sure if I ever saw him pull but he did win a few national pulls. Never saw Millard Dukeman, not sure if his Moline ran well.

I was too young to remember, but Gary Quick was supposed to be tough, and Herriott finished in the national point standings. I understand Charles DeClerk was very tough with his G-1000 before he switched classes and built a mod.

In Indiana, Stangle is obvious, but his travel partner Dan Walsh ran the 705 in the 12 and did well. Someone on Facebook posted photos of a program from Louisville in 1971, and both Stangle and Ron Perry had G-1000s entered. Never knew they had more than one.
And, this is really rare, but a hoosier named Ezra Reinhart was tough with a red moline and won a pull (not to be confused with Don Nolan's red Mis-Fire tractor of the same era).

Cases? The 3 that come to mind are Andy Main, Richard Overmeyer, and one I never got to see pull, the Streitmatters from Illinois.

Re: Off brands March 28, 2021 01:24AM
Here's a picture of Donaldson's Cat's Meow from Murray, KY (not sure who get the photo credit). I really don't remember his tractor with a narrow front end but saw it many times. When he was on he was hard to beat. Also attached is Ronald Berry (from Hopkinsville, KY). They ran (3) John Deere's back then. I believe one was dedicated to the 12SS.

Re: Off brands March 28, 2021 06:54AM
Chris, is that the Murray Kentucky arena where Genes photo was taken? Looks like it but wasnt sure.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: Off brands March 28, 2021 08:19AM
Robin Wood and I have discussed this and we believe that this is Murray. In the early years they ran the track opposite from today. The sled was set in the opening and they ran towards the entry doors. We even sat down on the track with a rope between us and the track (actual paid seating). They would run Murray a few weeks before Louisville and some pullers would come and get a test hook indoors. We got to see some really good equipment back then. Although Murray draws some of the best equipment today as well.

Re: Off brands March 28, 2021 03:29AM
The Dale Lowe Case tractors from Greensburg, IN were a fixture in the Hoosier state for many years.

S'no Farmer

Re: Off brands March 28, 2021 10:49AM
Dave stangle did pull his personal farm tractor in 71. The family still has that tractor and farms with it. Sold junk of Ron Perry's ( dave stangle drove) came from J.R Herriot. If you notice or remember on pics of solid junk it said H&P pulling team. That stood for Herriot&Perry pulling team!

Re: Down memory lane: 12000 SS class March 27, 2021 02:40AM
Here are some names of pullers 30 years and older. John D. Thompson, Norm Greene, Max Simpson, Ed Boyer, Brad Howell, John Klug, Dickie Sullivan, Al Koch, Frank Lafferty, Danny Dean, Kenny Smith, John Lancaster, Jack Grant, Dale Kohl, Marshall Myre and I could go on but I wont bore everybody. What a group.

Re: Down memory lane: 12000 SS class March 27, 2021 07:31AM
Dana Monson, Edsen Lehn,

Re: Down memory lane: 12000 SS class January 09, 2024 01:51AM
Melvin strietmatter, Andy Main

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,576, Posts: 229,605, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,058, Posts: 225,857.

Our newest member BadHabit2