Starting from square one: What is the purpose of a component chassis? April 13, 2021 05:53AM
Most people probably have their own thoughts on this, but with talk about components in this class or that class, etc., let's go back to square one and answer this most basic question:

What is the purpose of allowing components in any class?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2021 05:54AM by The Original Michael.

Re: Starting from square one: What is the purpose of a component chassis? April 13, 2021 12:54PM
The Original Michael
Most people probably have their own thoughts on this, but with talk about components in this class or that class, etc., let's go back to square one and answer this most basic question:

What is the purpose of allowing components in any class?

Why some one would give you a thumbs down on your question is beyond me but I will bite and answer your question. Horsepower. I know some will disagree and that's ok.

Re: Starting from square one: What is the purpose of a component chassis? April 13, 2021 01:16PM
Cost
Safety
Ease of maintenance
Durability

Re: Starting from square one: What is the purpose of a component chassis? April 13, 2021 02:20PM
COST SAFTY EASE OF MAINTENANCE AND DURABILITY could have all be taken care of with rules question is this still tractor pulling or has tractors became obsolete are these really tractors anymore

Re: Starting from square one: What is the purpose of a component chassis? April 13, 2021 02:29PM
My 2
Cost
Safety
Ease of maintenance
Durability

Cost? Better look at buying a new one first or build one yourself before you make that statement.
Safety? well depending on how it's built, I'll agree with that.
Ease of maintenance? I'll agree with that also depending on who builds it.
Durability? That also depends on how it is built.

Re: Starting from square one: What is the purpose of a component chassis? April 15, 2021 07:11AM
Here is a question that never gets asked, what about the cost for the people who have been in the class and already have a very good setup? What’s that going to cost the class in numbers of tractors? It seems to me that lately there have been changes made to accommodate a few and the word “safety” and “reliability” get thrown out there to justify it so that a new competitor can build what he wants. We all know pulling is very expensivse and pullers are their own worst enemy when it comes to this. I don’t have a llss or ever plan to build one, but in a case like this class from the outside looking in, components would kill this class. There is still a lot of guys who build their own and run dang good, and I believe a lot of that would go away.. just my thoughts

Re: Starting from square one: What is the purpose of a component chassis? April 15, 2021 03:08PM
Jackme,
I like you have no horse in this race but it would appear to me that anyone that has very good setup with an ag rear could just keep it and run it incurring no additional costs whatsoever. If components were allowed it wouldn't require people to make a change it would just be an option. I don't really have an opinion one way or another on this subject just pointing out that it shouldn't be mandatory.

S'no Farmer

Re: Starting from square one: What is the purpose of a component chassis? April 15, 2021 04:33PM
S'no Farmer
Jackme,
I like you have no horse in this race but it would appear to me that anyone that has very good setup with an ag rear could just keep it and run it incurring no additional costs whatsoever. If components were allowed it wouldn't require people to make a change it would just be an option. I don't really have an opinion one way or another on this subject just pointing out that it shouldn't be mandatory.

S'no Farmer

Todd, I don't how it could be mandatory. When it is mandatory(if that ever comes) then I will believe the blanket statement that has been made over the years that they are safer than cast. And I don't see how that can happen with out any guide lines on frame tubing thickness, material and etc.. just my opinion.

Re: Starting from square one: What is the purpose of a component chassis? April 15, 2021 11:23PM
S'no Farmer:

You hit the nail squarely on the head with this statement:

"............ it would appear to me that anyone that has very good setup with an ag rear could just keep it and run it incurring no additional costs whatsoever. If components were allowed it wouldn't require people to make a change it would just be an option."

The problem is there aren't many who look at it this way. To me it's the same as deciding whether you buy the "latest and greatest pump/turbo/injectors" etc. Life is about choices, and one should be allowed to have them.

Supertiquer:

"And I don't see how that can happen with out any guide lines on frame tubing thickness, material and etc."

Unless you have been hiding under a rock for many years, the generally accepted materials are equivalent to what one builds a roll cage form (which is spec'd by SFI). That would mean either 0.095" wall chromoly DOM or 0.120" wall mild steel DOM.

That being said there are definitely people who have no idea what to use and will choose darn near anything. This is why it is best to either contract with a builder or do some research and understand what you are getting into. Do you think most of the component chassis that are currently out there are sketchy? I sure hope not. Personal safety is a choice, but I guess if one doesn't understand or value a life it will never matter.

Re: Starting from square one: What is the purpose of a component chassis? April 16, 2021 02:09AM
Supertiquer:

"And I don't see how that can happen with out any guide lines on frame tubing thickness, material and etc."

Unless you have been hiding under a rock for many years, the generally accepted materials are equivalent to what one builds a roll cage form (which is spec'd by SFI). That would mean either 0.095" wall chromoly DOM or 0.120" wall mild steel DOM.

That being said there are definitely people who have no idea what to use and will choose darn near anything. This is why it is best to either contract with a builder or do some research and understand what you are getting into. Do you think most of the component chassis that are currently out there are sketchy? I sure hope not. Personal safety is a choice, but I guess if one doesn't understand or value a life it will never matter.[/quote]

And the roll cage material is what mine is made out of. I talked with a builder several months ago and he told me that they were at the threshold of strength vs. safety. And people wanted them lighter yet. Now he won't do it but someone else may try and that does concern me.

Re: Starting from square one: What is the purpose of a component chassis? April 16, 2021 03:46AM
Supertiquer:

I completely agree that those tubing thicknesses are probably at their limit based on some of the HP and torque we are seeing these days. It will be a shame if a backyarder builds on out of thinner material and has a catastrophe. If not for weight issues I would say minimum .120" mild Steel DOM and no on the chromoly. But it seems to be holding at the high HP levels so I have some confidence it would work for LLSS if it was ever an option.

Re: Starting from square one: What is the purpose of a component chassis? April 16, 2021 01:51AM
Supertiquer,
I was getting the impression that people are thinking that if components were adopted that everyone would HAVE to build on that type of chassis. I just was pointing out that that shouldn't be the case. Yes I agree it would be a huge mistake to make it mandatory but as I said I have no horse in this race just thinking out loud. That usually gets me into trouble! LOL

S'no Farmer

Re: Starting from square one: What is the purpose of a component chassis? April 18, 2021 02:15PM
Even if it isn’t mandatory, if it allows for more weight on the nose it becomes necessary in order to be competitive. A combo that is well sorted for the current rules could be obsolete if components are allowed. I’m sure that is a big concern of those who are happy with the current rules. I’ve see people note that cast chassis are competitive in PS, but that is a completely different animal when they run at 10,000 lbs.

Re: Starting from square one: What is the purpose of a component chassis? April 19, 2021 06:08AM
I understand what you are saying. I would rather put mild steel on the heavier classes than the light classes cause the light classes need the moveable weight. I run Super farm, and we've run the same OEM cast rear end since 1990, and its never broke yet. They are still reliable. If you want to run component, go ahead. Want to run cast, go ahead. AS LONG AS YOU FOLLOW THE RULES!!

Re: Starting from square one: What is the purpose of a component chassis? April 16, 2021 02:49PM
I was thinking of the early mods they were tractors with car motors. Then two car motors ,then blowers, then the old M couldn't hold it any more.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,572, Posts: 229,598, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,057, Posts: 225,853.

Our newest member BadHabit2