pulloffs August 16, 2021 06:41PM
To keep all classes in tact on a state level, we better get back to pulloffs. And I know how well that idea will go over with national pullers coming to a state level pull and even some state level pullers. OH OH OH OH OH!!!!!

Re: pulloffs August 17, 2021 01:24AM
I'm just curious, how will having pulloffs save state pulling?

S'no Farmer

Re: pulloffs August 17, 2021 02:19PM
Because they won't run them on KILL if they think they might have to come back for a PULLOFF!!!!

Re: pulloffs August 17, 2021 03:15PM
I'm a state level puller that at times has hooked with 3 different associations..All of these associations have used the floating finish for well over 20 years and theres none of us that want to go back to the expensive time consuming pulloffs..If things go right they all put on a good 4 to 4.5 hour show and thats all the fans want..Back in the days of pulloffs it got to where no one would even come back for a pulloff and the money was just split..In my area one run and done is fine for both the pullers and fans...We have good numbers of pullers and good sized crowds..Why mess with a good thing..

Re: pulloffs August 17, 2021 04:09PM
What I Know
I'm a state level puller that at times has hooked with 3 different associations..All of these associations have used the floating finish for well over 20 years and theres none of us that want to go back to the expensive time consuming pulloffs..If things go right they all put on a good 4 to 4.5 hour show and thats all the fans want..Back in the days of pulloffs it got to where no one would even come back for a pulloff and the money was just split..In my area one run and done is fine for both the pullers and fans...We have good numbers of pullers and good sized crowds..Why mess with a good thing..

smh

Re: pulloffs August 17, 2021 06:12PM
You don't speak for this fan!! Was a much better show when there were pulloffs in my view! Rather have less classes at a pull with pulloffs and just pay those classes more. There is as much or more breakage now as when they pulled off.

Re: pulloffs August 17, 2021 06:46PM
My best run is always the 1st one, ONE and DONE.
They start issuing 2 checks, then we can talk pulloffs!

Re: pulloffs August 18, 2021 02:08AM
day later

See, I hate to tell you this but it's not just about you.

Re: NTPA rulebook (are they following published rules?) August 18, 2021 02:31AM
Pulloff

See, I hate to tell you this but it's not just about you.

Look, I hope they do have pulloffs at BG this weekend, at least in a few classes.

That said, (assuming the One and Done poster is a puller), it actually IS about him, in the sense that he/she knows their vehicle and how it will (likely) react to multiple passes within a short time frame. If they are concerned about catastrophic breakage and don't have thousands of $$ sitting around, they should do what's best for their pulling operation.

One NTPA annoyance- on the NTPA Tech page, the most recent thing I saw regarding track length was this from 2019, which reads:

At all NTPA-sanctioned events, (all levels) the maximum measurable distance will be 350 feet. Length/distance may be less as determined by that event’s insurance application and as verified by NTPA.

If this wording has changed, someone please supply updated wording. If this is the stated rule, one look at results for this year will prove NTPA is not following their own rules. Wording mentions length may be less, but doesn't mention longer than 350'. The 2021 NTPA Rule Addendum does not mention anything about track length.

So, I ask you, is NTPA following their published rules regarding track length, or not?

Re: NTPA rulebook (are they following published rules?) August 18, 2021 02:43AM
At least at Bowling Green, yes. Larry Richwine addressed this on the NTPA Tech Page: Scroll down towards bottom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2021 02:44AM by mh49.

Re: NTPA rulebook (are they following published rules?) August 18, 2021 03:04AM
mh49
At least at Bowling Green, yes. Larry Richwine addressed this on the NTPA Tech Page: Scroll down towards bottom

Thanks for catching that.
Larry acknowledges they've exceeded 350' this year (at almost every pull), but what good is a competition rule if the organization doesn't follow it?
I would not argue that most pullers agree with the procedure as done this year, but call me old fashioned. Rules should mean things.

Here's a thought- Remember when a FP was 330 or even 310? Keep the 350' FP length, but put another block or two in the sled, do whatever is needed for gearing or dropping the pan, and set the sled as though the track was 330/320/310/whatever.
If a puller(s) happens to have a monster run to 350', kudos on a fantastic pull. If more than one passes 350', pullers would still have the option of not coming back and splitting money, bumping the sled if only one could return, etc.

One additional idea (separate from track length): Due to higher payouts at SN events, they could amend rules so that only Super National classes would have pulloffs (but that doesn't mean BG, Chapel Hill, or Tomah if they are SN next year, that the sled has to be set so a dozen tractors go past 350').

Random unconnected thought- what are the odds Rockwell will become a Super National pull?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2021 03:07AM by The Original Michael.

Re: NTPA rulebook (are they following published rules?) August 18, 2021 02:16PM
If pulling vehicles can be stopped at much less than 300’ indoors, why does the track need to be longer than 300 feet in the great outdoors? The extra track length just makes it even more difficult for the sled to stop them.

Now, before you flame away, try this on. Keep track length at 350 ft, but, attempt to set the sled for a 280-300 ft finish. This leaves room for that monster pass that just might happen.

Re: pulloffs August 18, 2021 03:14AM
I think at wauseon or maumee the pros took 4 hooks to win.its the n a dvd that Fonda ust to sell.we all talk about the heyday of pulling and in those days there was a definite never altering end to the track. Also remember most all bleachers were designed with a 300 foot track in mind,and that distance was non negotiable, now with 350 foot distances hooks are driving past the good seats

Re: pulloffs August 18, 2021 03:41AM
There was just a discussion on here about how pullers don't want to make trip to a pull for only one hook. Now pullers are saying they only want to hook once to save equipment. So which is it???

Re: pulloffs August 18, 2021 07:10AM
Grubby
There was just a discussion on here about how pullers don't want to make trip to a pull for only one hook. Now pullers are saying they only want to hook once to save equipment. So which is it???

It's a matter of a single session with two hooks counting for only a single session of points versus two sessions, two hooks, two chances to accumulate points at one event.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: pulloffs August 18, 2021 06:47PM
Certainly not about me, when I make a for free pulloff run and I break, that is on me!
Good thing money grows on trees in your world!

Re: pulloffs August 18, 2021 02:27AM
Pulloff
Because they won't run them on KILL if they think they might have to come back for a PULLOFF!!!!

You're forgetting that humans are competitive. We set them on kill regardless to make sure we are at the front, it's the old "I don't know how much horsepower I'm gonna need to win, but I know how much I am gonna use" logic.

Plus, there are zero guarantees that a "soft" tune will get you into a pulloff, what might actually happen is that you'll see pullers stacked up at 280-295ft and no pulloffs anyway.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: pulloffs August 18, 2021 02:41AM
Every sport has boundaries to the field of play, except pulling. There should be an end to the field of play and you can set the sled so there are no (or very few) pulloffs.

Ft. Recovery NTPA mini class ran 6-8 minis before McDonald put it in the dust at 380'; they reset the sled, and they all had to run twice anyway! PPL does this routinely. Set a finish line and pull-off if necessary.

Also, I hope they set a full pull mark at BG this year. Be nice to actually see a "full pull".

P.S. At the current state of the sport, this page will need to change it's name!

Re: pulloffs August 18, 2021 03:31AM
I disagree on this on Bryan. If you know you may have to run twice (pulloff) you're more likely to not tune to the very razors edge. I honestly think guys will tune slightly different knowing they are likely to have to come back and re-hook within a short amount of time. We've seen plenty of times at places like Louisville where single session guys would tune too close to that razors edge and burn them down (this was common in the LSS a few years back) and it always hurt those guys in the end because they couldn't come back for a pulloff.

I also think the pulloff is the great equalizer in larger classes. There was just a discussion on this page about 50 vehicles in a GN class. Usually in a pulloff the cream will rise to the top and that pull order and larger class size becomes much less of a variable.

Last but not least, a pulloff is like the playoffs for each class. In every sport the playoffs are the most exciting and you get to see an extended season with the best of the best battling it out.

I do believe there should be extra money for competitors that have to run twice (including sled resets... but excluding mechanical drops) and I'm sure a system could be put in place to cover those extra expenses.

I'll always be a fan of pulloff's and I think they should always remain part of the sport at all levels, there's no other time where fans are on the edge of their seats more than a pulloff.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: pulloffs August 18, 2021 02:03PM
Jake Morgan
I do believe there should be extra money for competitors that have to run twice (including sled resets... but excluding mechanical drops) and I'm sure a system could be put in place to cover those extra expenses.

I'll always be a fan of pulloff's and I think they should always remain part of the sport at all levels, there's no other time where fans are on the edge of their seats more than a pulloff.

So where is the money for the extra runs due to sled resets going to come from? Using your logic, it should come out of the sled operator's check, since it wasn't the pullers fault, and it wasn't the promoter's fault either. I can tell you about how well that would go over....

Re: pulloffs August 19, 2021 02:50PM
IL Ryan

So where is the money for the extra runs due to sled resets going to come from? Using your logic, it should come out of the sled operator's check, since it wasn't the pullers fault, and it wasn't the promoter's fault either. I can tell you about how well that would go over....

Again, I think you missed the point of my original post like so many have over the years and wanted to. I AM TALKING ABOUT STATE LEVEL PULLING AND NOT NATIONAL!

Re: pulloffs August 18, 2021 04:03AM
I don't like pull offs but at the same time I don't like seeing 330 or farther on distances. Sleds should be set accordingly to stop everyone in a decent distance under 330. To me that puts on the best show. I understand sometimes track conditions make setting a sled more difficult and sometimes a operator, no matter how seasoned, just misses a setup. But I still think the reigns need to be pulled back a little tighter on distances.

OLY

Re: pulloffs August 18, 2021 02:53AM
As a puller I see the argument against pulloffs. Extra heat plus wear and tear makes a long season longer and possibly expensive but you build for how you have to compete.

As a fan and spectator pull offs are part of our sport. It's our sports heritage and adds excitement to the pull. Cheering for your favorite brand or driver to make the full pull mark and then come back to beat the best that night in the pull off makes the show exciting and gets fans interacting more with each other and the announcer. Now the fans only get excited for that one great pass. If it's in the first 2 or 3 hooks of a class the rest of that class can get pretty boring no crowd involvement unless your lucky to have a great anouncer. If you don't believe me go on YouTube and watch older videos from the 90s from Tomah and the farm show. The crowd's go crazy for a full pull and the pull off.

As pullers we can be our own worst enemies when we lose focus of why we do what we do. Yes it's for enjoyment, competition, and trying to win but sometimes we forget it's not all about us. It's about the fan experience and putting on a show for the promoter who is trying to raise money to support there cause for the year. If your doing it for the check your obviously doing it for the wrong reasons. Just my opinion.

Re: pulloffs August 18, 2021 08:05AM
I might be mistaken, but I think BG has always used a Full Pull mark with a pull off? Right??

Re: pulloffs August 18, 2021 02:12PM
In my original post, I was talking about state level pulling. But some how many of you want to take my post to NATIONAL pulling.

Re: pulloffs August 19, 2021 01:54AM
Well stated Freetime!!

Re: pulloffs August 20, 2021 01:57AM
Today's so called Pulling is a Drag Race, compounded by cubic dollars and multiplied by an ego trip.

Please bring back actual tractor / truck pulling. That will happen on the old standard of a 300 foot track.

Re: pulloffs August 22, 2021 01:29PM
EXPLODE your tractors burn them down wreck it flip it on the side is the only time the paying crowd gets excited now without pulloffs

Re: pulloffs August 22, 2021 02:26PM
Lewis Conner
EXPLODE your tractors burn them down wreck it flip it on the side is the only time the paying crowd gets excited now without pulloffs

Yep, pretty sad isn't it?

Re: pulloffs August 22, 2021 04:55PM
Sorry Lewis but the other night I made a very fast 369' pass and the crowd LOVED it...AND yes I was able to run a second time at the end of the class for the win and they seemed to like that also although not as much as the fast long pass.

S'no Farmer

Re: pulloffs August 23, 2021 01:25PM
Congratulations you could have also made a fast 300 full pull that the people sitting at the end of the grandstands could have watched then came back for a 290ft win that would add up to 590ft you pulled 369 the first time and im guessing 350 for the winn thats 719 ft you would get a free full pull on your engines every fourth hook .A pull does not need to go past the end of the bleachers the combine cab on the back of the sled is not what people go to see if so the best seats are at the starting line

Re: pulloffs August 23, 2021 01:38PM
The bleachers in BG are out to about 450' or more........so it's not really an issue.

If you happen to sit on the top row, you see every pull the whole distance......so I guess you'd also say the people in chairs on the ground are getting screwed too?

Despite what you say, people do actually sit at the start line. It's a choice.

Maybe just stop whining about pulls beyond 300' already.

If you haven't noticed, every time you bring it up, people tell you to get over it.

Re: pulloffs August 23, 2021 03:54PM
The 330-340 passes do make for a faster pass and better show in my opinion. I understand the hard to swollow part about pull offs though

Re: pulloffs August 23, 2021 02:20AM
The European teams run as hard and even harder in certain classes and tractors. They almost always come back for the pullout it seems. Don't see too many results of broke for the pulloff.
If it is a problem for heat, then run the next class and bring them back after that class for the pullout. If it is the last class then something different needs to be done. But the pulloff should happen!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,574, Posts: 229,602, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,058, Posts: 225,856.

Our newest member BadHabit2