Small Storylines from Bowling Green August 22, 2021 03:05PM
To go along with John Murray's great topic “Biggest Storyline from Bowling Green?” here are some hidden storylines that may have flown under the radar:

Darren Olden’s pass on Saturday night… Kryptonite was absolutely moving. It was running better than I’ve ever heard it run and it was on a pass that would have most likely been a top two or three pass! The ground speed was impressive and the motor didn’t even pull down when it loaded. Sadly he popped a charger and came to an abrupt stop but still got a very, very respectable 6th. There’s absolutely no doubt in my mind he was going to be in the winners circle, the only question for me was how high exactly was he going to place. Sadly it wasn’t meant to be, but there was a sign of some potential for the Deere.

Gene Zeltner’s runs in both mini classes… when you look at the results you’ll think that 25th on Saturday isn’t that great. Now factor in that he’s running a turbo-charged Cadillac with a low budget and everything is homemade. That little mini built boost cleanly, came out of the hole smooth, it hooked up and it ran pretty darn clean down the track. It showed some real potential for a shoestring budget team. It was nice to see a hometown guy make some nice passes. There’s untapped potential there and I think one big single turbo-charger on a V-8 could put that class on notice if a bigger budget team wanted to break from the cookie cutter setup. Hats off to Gene for sticking with it and making some serious progress.

Unlimited mods… five Hemis sure didn’t look like a great combination. Sure the track wasn’t great on Thursday night… but that setup just didn’t impress on Saturday night either. Not much movable weight and too much horsepower just don’t make for a great show.

Two broken frames in 2wd… you heard that right, two frames broke on Saturday afternoon. Both broke in almost the exact same spot on the track and almost the exact same spot on the frame. Stranger yet, it wasn't wild rides, they were hooked and locked into the track and they just failed. Oddly one was a wedge chassis and one was a tube chassis so not even a common denominator, still it was something you don’t see very often and it happened just a few trucks apart. Definitely weird.

Last but certainly not least… Triple Bypass kicked out a rod but it showed that a double ring winner in the Open and Diesel Super classes is certainly with-in their grasp. A few short years ago almost nobody thought a diesel could keep pace from a performance standpoint… how wrong they were! Now a diesel could be in contention to win two rings, if that doesn’t impress SS fans I don’t know what will.

What other minor/small/background/hidden storylines did you notice?

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2021 01:36PM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Small Storylines from Bowling Green August 22, 2021 04:36PM
Grassroots small budget TWD team winning the Saturday show and taking over the GN points lead. Nuthin' EZ' Bout it!!!

S'no Farmer

Re: Small Storylines from Bowling Green August 22, 2021 11:44PM
I believe Ralf Hunt's truck's is Wayne Rausch's old Yellow T??? If so and there haven't been any major changes, having a chassis that was built in 1987 get a 1st and a 4th is kind of cool small story line.

Re: Small Storylines from Bowling Green August 22, 2021 11:51PM
How about Kevin Dick's Thumper in the Light Unlimited class with a top 5 finish. As he said in the winners circle "one for the little guys".

Dan Mayer

www.pulling-reference.com
Dedicated to Preserving the History of Tractor & Truck Pulling

Re: Small Storylines from Bowling Green August 23, 2021 03:40AM
I love a good underdog story as much as anyone, but going 253 feet for 5th place isn't exactly one that warms the heart. That class just isn't cutting it..... 3 badass passes going 326 to 339 and 4th place is 268. In my opinion, that's not a BG level class.

Re: Small Storylines from Bowling Green August 23, 2021 12:33AM
I would mention something along the lines of red tractors not being competitive in the pro stock class anymore. Work Horse pro is one of the only competitive entries in the class and its got a JD block from what I've heard.

As a green guy I love to see this but its worth mentioning

Re: Small Storylines from Bowling Green August 23, 2021 01:18AM
Watching the diesel super class, there are at least 7 that could jump in the open super and have the potential to win on any given night. I know we only got one look at it, but I’m not so sure some of them haven’t caught up to Ross.

Re: Small Storylines from Bowling Green August 23, 2021 02:40AM
Well to be fair, some good running red pro stocks weren't there - D2, El Nino, Last Chance. PPL Pro's like Billet Binder, Revvation Pro, Red Edge.

Re: Small Storylines from Bowling Green August 23, 2021 06:30AM
BrandonA
I would mention something along the lines of red tractors not being competitive in the pro stock class anymore. Work Horse pro is one of the only competitive entries in the class and its got a JD block from what I've heard.

As a green guy I love to see this but its worth mentioning

Oh how soon people forget. Didnt D2 win it all the last year they had BG? Or maybe he just won the points. I bet cains are waiting on the new block from Lemkee

Re: Small Storylines from Bowling Green August 23, 2021 12:54PM
that new red block better magically make more power. the green guys just have more bore and bigger valves and can move more air. red days are behind us in pro stock.

Re: Small Storylines from Bowling Green August 24, 2021 12:39AM
bigblock puller
that new red block better magically make more power. the green guys just have more bore and bigger valves and can move more air. red days are behind us in pro stock.

That's an interesting take on the 10 pro class,....if you want to be educated,... call the top fuel/turbo shop currently and ask which color is moving more air. Let us know what they say........Smoking

Re: Small Storylines from Bowling Green August 23, 2021 03:47AM
I think this is another great back story of the weekend weight difference from North side to South side scales in the LSS class

Thursday night on the North side scales the LSS class weighed in at 6300lbs . .

Saturday Noon on the South side scales weighed in at 6200lbs .

Re: Small Storylines from Bowling Green August 23, 2021 04:00AM
Just a few that come to mind..

-Loved seeing Rona Veney running back to Ken where he’d lost his blower belt in the first session of minis. 2 irreplaceable people in the sport and great to hear them in Miles’ interview this weekend at the track.
-Kristie Secrest and Ralphie Hunt - taking it to the TWD teams (probably belong in big storylines)
-Good passes by the Demers SSD tractor, seems like they’re getting it headed the right direction
-Davis FWD trucks taking some time off and not missing a beat
-Great mod class - both sessions

Re: Small Storylines from Bowling Green August 23, 2021 07:24AM
I thought Demers had a solid weekend and showed some consistency, without breakage. I know they're working hard to refine their set-up. It was also good seeing some pullers who don't always come to BG in attendance - NY was well represented. Mark Hootman's top five finishes were impressive - and good to see Jason bounce back for the win with his second hook of the weekend. Belfance's Chain Breaker looked stunningly well kept and ran like a beast - hated to see them have some breakage. With all the scrutiny on the Diesel and Open SS classes, we saw some impressive runs in both divisions. In addition to PRI's presence, it was kinda cool seeing long-time drag racing figure, Larry Morgan walking around the pits with Bill Voreis and Jeff Fowler.

Re: Small Storylines from Bowling Green August 23, 2021 03:31AM
Dave Richardson's big pass on Saturday Night

Miles Krieger

My Blog:
Miles Beyond 300
[www.facebook.com]
milesbeyond300@gmail

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,574, Posts: 229,602, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,058, Posts: 225,856.

Our newest member BadHabit2