BG Attendance August 25, 2021 04:28AM
I was unable to attend BG. Videos I have seen show lots of empty bleachers. Saturday night appeared to have much smaller crowd than recent saturday nights. It appears those sitting on race track on south side did not stretch nearly as far into the turn near Make A Wish tent. Was fact the Canadians could not attend the reason ?

Re: BG Attendance August 25, 2021 04:53AM
My conversation with a Blue Shirt Saturday afternoon indicated that it may have been a near record crowd overall (ticket sales) and by my spit-ball head count the Saturday night crowd looked as large as I've seen it in the 10 years I've been going. The Thursday night crowd was impressive I thought for that opening session also.. The empty bleachers on Friday and Saturday afternoon can be directly correlated to the oppressive heat both days...it was hot even for this Kentucky boy, and I don't blame anyone for seeking shade.

To put numbers/sales into perspective, they sold all but 20 campsites in the campgrounds...it truly was packed. On 2000+ sites, that's conservatively 5 to 7 thousand ticket holders, not counting all of the folks who drive in daily...it was up to them to make the trip to the track or not.

In the end actual sales vs. actual butts in seats can vary, especially on the afternoon sessions.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: BG Attendance August 25, 2021 06:00AM
This is kind of hard to compare to past years too because the new bleachers are huge and on both sides compared to what they use to be. I believe they were new in 2019. So empy seats, yes, smaller crowd, doubtful.

Re: BG Attendance August 25, 2021 08:14AM
The Friday night crowd was almost as big as the Saturday night crowd as well.

Re: BG Attendance August 25, 2021 01:56PM
I love the thurs eve show simply because it's in the evening,and much cooler.when the sunday show was done we usually left monday,much easier drive in the day and when your rested decent

Re: BG Attendance August 25, 2021 11:22PM
Couldn't agree with you more on being rested for the Monday drive. Sunday afternoon show was awesome and had a nice wind down period for the evening. Always thought it worked great.

Contrary to some opinions, not ALL campers wanted to ditch the Sunday show.

Back when this was being bantered about, the supposed justification was about not having to take Monday off. When you have five sessions, it will consume the same amount of days regardless. All swapping Sunday for Thursday night did was cause me to take Wednesday off vs Monday. It's still the same amount of time off work, just different days. And yes, I have heard all too many times the "it's now three evening shows and only two afternoon shows" argument concerning heat. I get it, but it sure wasn't a deal breaker for us. Like going to a baseball game on a weekend......good chance it's going to be hot, but thousands go because that's when it is scheduled.

That being said it hasn't and won't stop me from going.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2021 08:40AM by FarmersFun.

Re: BG Attendance August 26, 2021 10:34AM
Either way you cut it, more pulling on the weekend is better. Starting thursday and having an addtional day off then rather than monday is the same thing. The crowds on sunday were way bigger than Thursday night or Friday noon, and thats because its the weekend, plus the classes on sunday were quite frankly the best.

Catering to the camping crowd isnt going to increase the overall crowd, the “all sessions camp crowd” will always come, its the single or double session attendees like me that make the difference between a big crowd and small crowd.

Go back to the way it was, it wasnt broke, and it rarely works to fix something that isnt.

Re: BG Attendance August 26, 2021 01:45PM
Don’t forget that Sunday was kept as option if Saturday night got rained out

Re: BG Attendance August 25, 2021 08:35AM
Bring back the sunday noon session, way better attendance than thursday pulling, which is stupid IMO

Re: BG Attendance August 25, 2021 08:49AM
Do not bring back the Sunday session. The fans and campers want to get home and get back to work on Monday. The crowd's were never good for Sunday. Finish up Saturday night when you have the largest crowd.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: BG Attendance August 25, 2021 09:01AM
I agree with Dick don't bring back the Sunday session. When we were going out in years past we never stayed/ went to the pull on Sunday. We got up and headed for home when they went to Thursday night yes it was a change but we like it and enjoy going Thursday through Saturday and getting home at a decent time on Sunday.

Re: BG Attendance August 26, 2021 07:47AM
Dick Morgan
Do not bring back the Sunday session. The fans and campers want to get home and get back to work on Monday. The crowd's were never good for Sunday. Finish up Saturday night when you have the largest crowd.

Apparently Dick you must go to a different Bowling Green Ohio then I do! The crowds were huge on Sundays. Everybody wanted and waited to see the Heavy supers and Heavy mods and those only pulled on Sunday! I realize that was sometime ago but Sunday crowd was just as big as Saturday night crowd. There is no difference between taking a Thursday off of work or a Monday off of work. A day is a day.

Re: BG Attendance August 26, 2021 08:06AM
You definitely go to a different BG than everyone if you think the crowds were big on Sundays. I think your memory is fading a bit on this one. In fact as a last ditch effort to raise attendance on Sunday they tried a "Super Sunday" where the rings would be decided in ALL the classes as a sort of playoffs. Guess what, even that didn't work. The crowds were still way down in comparison to the other sessions. Hence the reason that they went to a Thursday instead of Sunday. To say Sunday attendance was good... well, obviously they wouldn't have changed if that was the case.

I have no desire to go back to a Sunday session and after baking all day Friday and Saturday afternoon, no thanks. Thursday is much better in my opinion.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: BG Attendance August 26, 2021 09:18AM
As far as the heavy SS and the heavy mods only hooking on Sunday I believe that that would quite a feat when all classes run twice. And I'm pretty sure that those classes you just mentioned never hooked twice in one day.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: BG Attendance August 26, 2021 10:26AM
Dick Morgan
As far as the heavy SS and the heavy mods only hooking on Sunday I believe that that would quite a feat when all classes run twice. And I'm pretty sure that those classes you just mentioned never hooked twice in one day.

No Dick and Jake you obviously have no clue. It used to be 75ss on Saturday afternoon, 95 ss on Saturday night and heavy ss (10-12) on Sunday and same for the mods but hey you know way more then me!! And for the record the stands were full on Sunday!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2021 10:29AM by GirbachA.

Re: BG Attendance August 26, 2021 10:41AM
Andy, I'm not sure if you realize that the NTPA doesn't pull those classes anymore. Stop looking at your 1987 "Puller" magazine and get with the 21 first century.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: BG Attendance August 26, 2021 11:08AM
Dick Morgan
Andy, I'm not sure if you realize that the NTPA doesn't pull those classes anymore. Stop looking at your 1987 "Puller" magazine and get with the 21 first century.

Dick you said " crowds were NEVER good on Sunday" crowds were way bigger on Sunday then any Thursday night show today. If you were there then you'd know that! Your "1987 puller mag" comment was funny thou, I'll give you that!! Maybe you should brush up on your history instead of trying to be funny?? I was there in 1987 ( and years before that) for the record apparently you weren't!!

Re: BG Attendance August 26, 2021 11:46AM
when you get your time machine built let us know so we can wish you farewell.

Re: BG Attendance August 26, 2021 02:44PM
The stands were never close to full on Sunday!! Half full was a good Sunday.

Re: BG Attendance August 25, 2021 09:20AM
I'm glad to be headed home on a Sunday morning rather than a Sunday afternoon. A Saturday night finale makes for a nice finish to the weekend. Sunday sessions likely cause fans who travel to burn a vacation day they would otherwise not have to use.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: BG Attendance August 26, 2021 11:07AM
Umm, it was broke, that's why they tried to fix it before they changed to Thursday. Attendance on Sunday was bad (maybe not in the 1980's... but it was recently) and that's before they had the extra seating they do now. Sunday would look like a ghost town now with the bigger stands.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2021 11:10AM by Jake Morgan.

Re: BG Attendance August 26, 2021 01:00PM
Having the largest crowd on the last day of the event may sound nice for aesthetic reasons, but isn't necessary.

Almost every NHRA race (pre-covid and I assume the same way now) has Pro qualifying Friday and Saturday, with final eliminations Sunday.
The order of crowd size most of the time is:
1) Saturday qualifying;
2) Friday qualifying;
3) Sunday race day. Sometimes Sunday may exceed Friday, but in my experience the Friday evening show outdraws Sunday.

It may feel nice for the last session at a pull (race day in NHRA) to be the largest crowd, but is not necessary for a successful event.
I wouldn't mind if BG kept the Thursday session and added a Session VI on Sunday afternoon (more on that in a future thread. Not going to derail this thread with details). People that don't want to stay for that one more session or need to drive home, that's a personal choice just as someone may not be able to get away on a Thursday but would be able to stay on a Sunday.

Re: BG Attendance August 26, 2021 11:16AM
Just another guy
Either way you cut it, more pulling on the weekend is better. Starting thursday and having an addtional day off then rather than monday is the same thing. The crowds on sunday were way bigger than Thursday night or Friday noon, and thats because its the weekend, plus the classes on sunday were quite frankly the best.

Catering to the camping crowd isnt going to increase the overall crowd, the “all sessions camp crowd” will always come, its the single or double session attendees like me that make the difference between a big crowd and small crowd.

Go back to the way it was, it wasnt broke, and it rarely works to fix something that isnt

You are exactly right!!! Those were the classes everybody stayed to see and if you were a ss fan, you wanted to see who won the Marshall myer award!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,598, Posts: 229,642, Members: 3,322.
This forum: Topics: 37,060, Posts: 225,874.

Our newest member JD_8520