Pull speed....... September 06, 2021 02:11AM
After reading all the discussion about the track length and floating finish in the last few days could this work ??.it would definitely add some newfound excitement for both pullers and fans,even solve some issues between us all.the big 3 mtpa,ppl,outlaws,get big l.e.d speedboards,2 for each track,big enough to be visible to everyone.display the speed in real time,now track length becomes not nearly as critical to us all.on a 320 ft track,put a flag wherever the pan is set to drop.the pullers want more purse money,this could be added right here.fastest speed gets most money.so the fastest might not go the farthest ?,definitely could change the payout,possibly award point too ?.would surely bring interest and make it a true race,1 run and done !

Re: Pull speed....... September 06, 2021 02:51AM
This sport is called TRACTOR PULLING,not tractor racing.We don't need a sled for racing.

Re: Pull speed....... September 06, 2021 03:44AM
I am a tractor PULLING old school guy too.
I've come to accept that things change and this is just how it's going to be looking at the future.
So why not embrace the facts and use them to better the SPORT ??

Re: Pull speed....... September 07, 2021 03:40PM
patches
I am a tractor PULLING old school guy too.
I've come to accept that things change and this is just how it's going to be looking at the future.
So why not embrace the facts and use them to better the SPORT ??

How will this better the sport near term?

Re: Pull speed....... September 06, 2021 01:16PM
There are many similarities between drag racing and todays top tier “pulling”.

Re: Pull speed....... September 06, 2021 03:09AM
Ed Hart did this back in the early '90's. Put a timing light at the 75' mark and another at the 300', fastest through the lights won. I would guess, when you extend the track out to 350+' the tractor that went through the lights the fastest also won on distance. If we are going to just keep extending tracks to make sure there are no pulloffs, this is a much better method. Far less breakage than spinning em in at 365'.

Re: Pull speed....... September 06, 2021 11:23AM
Well I guess times are changing and Tractor pulling is also,when I started pulling we pulled a plate with a tractor of your weight on the sled a per son was standing on the track every ten feet,as the sled came you stepped on the sled until you could not go any further.That being said alot sure has changed since then and we pull the sled 24 or 25 MPh now so I guess time will tell were this sport is going to go and how we call the winners.

Re: Pull speed....... September 06, 2021 03:28PM
OG
Ed Hart did this back in the early '90's. Put a timing light at the 75' mark and another at the 300', fastest through the lights won. I would guess, when you extend the track out to 350+' the tractor that went through the lights the fastest also won on distance. If we are going to just keep extending tracks to make sure there are no pulloffs, this is a much better method. Far less breakage than spinning em in at 365'.

Not advocating for this, but piggybacking on the Track Length thread and pullers not wanting pulloffs, here is a compromise for the day when/if pulling ever gets to the point where sleds have trouble stopping them within 350'.

1) puller who goes farthest wins, but 2) if more than one puller pulls the full track distance (makes a Full Pull), then winner will be the one who covered the distance fastest.

The purist in me doesn't like that idea at all. It's a pull, not a race. I only mention it if there is ever a day when sleds have trouble stopping vehicles in a reasonable distance, then some additional method of determining a winner will have to be adopted. Some of my fondest memories growing up where pulls back in the 1970s, but with technology advances, and financial limitations, there may come a day when the sport will have to make uncomfortable changes to continue.

Hopefully that day will not arrive for a while.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2021 03:29PM by The Original Michael.

Re: Pull speed....... September 06, 2021 07:38PM
The purpose of 2 boards per track would be so both sides can view,the cost would be pennies per fan.as far as the vehicles go,nothing changes from the way it's currently done today,just providing more info to everyone,all motorsports use a distance over time factor for some reason.this can bring some much needed interest from non fans by providing a common ground between pulling and other motorsports

Re: Pull speed....... September 07, 2021 07:26AM
OG

I actually like this idea..... Set the beams at 50' & 350', therefore it's still only 300' that counts, just offset it 50'. Gonna need plenty of shut down area though!

Re: Pull speed....... September 07, 2021 09:05AM
Logan Thomas

I actually like this idea..... Set the beams at 50' & 350', therefore it's still only 300' that counts, just offset it 50'. Gonna need plenty of shut down area though!

Standardize the track to 330' or 350' and put lights at 75 & 300 ish. Have sled operators set em to stop at 350'. If the idea of less pulloffs is to reduce breakage (I don't buy that but whatever) lights seem like a perfect solution. I think the ever extending track lengths are pretty silly. I'd much prefer timing lights to 365' runs.

Re: Pull speed....... September 07, 2021 09:20AM
OG
If the idea of less pulloffs is to reduce breakage (I don't buy that but whatever)

You clearly don't understand what heat does to an engine then.

OG
I'd much prefer timing lights to 365' runs.

Then go drag racing.

Re: Pull speed....... September 07, 2021 10:07AM
Logan,
They actually did something similar to this a couple of years ago at the Galot track. They had two mod tractors, Keith Wayson and Randy Davis (they invited us but our tractors were taken apart). They ran 3 heats and it was about the time to cross the finish line, I don't remember the distance they used but it was crazy how two very competitive tractors got to the finish in such different ways. If I remember correctly Randy was much faster but Keith was going as far or farther. I don't recall the name of the TV show.

S'no Farmer

Re: Pull speed....... September 07, 2021 10:12AM
Tractor Pull Drag Racing

Re: Pull speed....... September 08, 2021 03:20PM
Logan Thomas
Tractor Pull Drag Racing

Before anyone judges the video, you should read all the comments !?!?

I like 300' tracks and pull off's, but after watching, I'm on the fence, but by the looks of the comments below the video,, this could(?) possibly go over well with a % of the fan base.

What if this would start drawing crowds ? Larger crowds mean more money, right ?

But then I'm sure everyone is satisfied with the status quo , and happy to pull for just the fun of it .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2021 04:21PM by JDpowershift.

Re: Pull speed....... September 08, 2021 01:33AM
Won't work. Can't guarantee which tires will break the beams to trip it. Wheelies... Setting the lights higher is the same problem. Did the weights break it, did the hood, did the stack... What if the wind is down track and spool smoke does it? Seen it all happen.

Keep it simple.

If we want to know this, you already have Agritronix on-board. For those that don't, any GPS system will give this data.

It's cool to know it and point it out at shows, but I'll never agree it should be a competitive component.

CP

Re: Pull speed....... September 09, 2021 03:01AM
cpr
Won't work. Can't guarantee which tires will break the beams to trip it. Wheelies... Setting the lights higher is the same problem. Did the weights break it, did the hood, did the stack... What if the wind is down track and spool smoke does it? Seen it all happen.

Keep it simple.

If we want to know this, you already have Agritronix on-board. For those that don't, any GPS system will give this data.

It's cool to know it and point it out at shows, but I'll never agree it should be a competitive component.

CP

Charles does post a couple very valid issues here with the tires & smoke. Maybe use a transponder on the sled to trip the timer, kinda like Nascar's lap timing system? Just thinking out loud, would be something fun to try & experiment with.

Re: Pull speed....... September 09, 2021 05:06PM
It's a fascinating data point brother, but that is all it can be.

In light of the myriad fights about far more objectively scored issues had on this board, this one is stunningly unquantifiable as a points/purse-scoring characteristic.

Pulling is utterly brilliant in the absence of clocks. The fastest is often the furthest on a given sled, but not always. Everyone is bitching about same distance whether 5000 hp or 1500. Well, speed carries it's own artificiality with that.

Full Sidetracked rant coming...

CP

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2021 02:00AM by cpr.

Re: Pull speed....... September 10, 2021 02:00AM
Yes and let's not forget that drag racing doesn't award anything for speed, it's just elapsed time that matters there. All the scoreboard tells is how hard the car is running at the finish line.

Re: Pull speed....... September 06, 2021 06:57PM
What a great idea not just one speed board but 4 2 on each track. I love it and pass the expenses on to the fans with higher gate admission. Nothing would be cooler than seeing a 10200 lb Prostock running through the crowd at 43mph with a stuck plunger or a over clocked governor. 1/8 mile tractor pulls hmmm Track Outlaws I see discovery picking it up now.

Re: Pull speed....... September 07, 2021 01:51PM
Just Saying
I love it and pass the expenses on to the fans with higher gate admission.

And why stop there? Also pass that expense on to the pullers entry fee! That'd be a win win for everyone!!! smh

Re: Pull speed....... September 07, 2021 02:02PM
All this wishfull thinkin ain't gen-u-wine tracter pullin. All it will do is drive da cost up even further. & lose a bunch of us pullin fans. Neverrrrrr ben into the drag race scene.

Re: Pull speed....... September 08, 2021 12:20AM
Its time to make bigger pans and weight boxes for the sleds. Its an easy fix.

Re: Pull speed....... September 08, 2021 12:26AM
I'm pretty sure they can't carry enough weight as it is on one sled and make 80,000lbs to go down the road.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2021 01:20AM by Drew.

Re: Pull speed....... September 08, 2021 12:43AM
This idea of speed thru lights is just stupid logic.... lets pull something weighting 40k and see how fast we can go...... when the tractor stops abruptly the sled sure as hell don't!!!!!!! get off the speed kick

Re: Pull speed....... September 08, 2021 05:27AM
Stupid idea
This idea of speed thru lights is just stupid logic.... lets pull something weighting 40k and see how fast we can go...... when the tractor stops abruptly the sled sure as hell don't!!!!!!! get off the speed kick

It's really not much different than what they are doing now. The tractor going the fastest at the 300' mark the majority of the time is going to be the one that spins er in at 365' and wins the class anyway. Racing to the 300' mark is what the sport has (de)evolved into, why not save spinning them in if less breakage is why we have gone away from 300' tracks and pulloffs in the first place?

Re: Pull speed....... September 08, 2021 01:42PM
The tractor going the fastest at the 300' mark the majority of the time is going to be the one that spins er in at 365' and wins the class anyway. [/quote]

And the tractor or TRUCK may not be going that fast if they know they might have to come back for a pulloff!!!!

Re: Pull speed....... September 08, 2021 02:10PM
Theres already been several Topics of track speed and long tracts and distance and in everyone its a proving fact a super farm can go just as fast and as far as a 4 engine MOD Why is everyone so stupid that rules cant be made in every class to put on the same show with less expense to the pullers in other words rules to cut out the candy ASS big spenders who has to buy every inch down the track put me on Chizecs tractors i could woop asses just as good as Blackburn whoopedydoo alls been done is spent more money and screwed up another class put some apples to apples back in the pulling cut the candy ass money game out

Re: Pull speed....... September 08, 2021 03:53PM
Lewis Conner
Theres already been several Topics of track speed and long tracts and distance and in everyone its a proving fact a super farm can go just as fast and as far as a 4 engine MOD Why is everyone so stupid that rules cant be made in every class to put on the same show with less expense to the pullers in other words rules to cut out the candy ASS big spenders who has to buy every inch down the track put me on Chizecs tractors i could woop asses just as good as Blackburn whoopedydoo alls been done is spent more money and screwed up another class put some apples to apples back in the pulling cut the candy ass money game out

This is quite possibly the most idiotic post on this website, and that's saying something. I'm embarrassed for you. Call up any of the quote "candy ass big spenders" that are keeping the USS class afloat and give them your speech on how they're ruining the class and see how well that goes for you. Even better, walk up to them in the pits and do it face to face. Not sure why you chose to attack the supers anyway? Hell let's look at all the classes. Are you going to contact Boyd's, Simon's, Nelson's, Sheltons, etc, etc ,etc, and tell them that they are the "problem" that you've CREATED with your piss poor logic? There is no correlation between high dollar pulling vehicles and track length. So often we are directed to stay on topic here or to start a new thread but yet this rambling mess will get to stay. We are trying to make this sport grow, not make it go backwards. We as fans should all be THANKFUL for the family's of pullers that show up every weeknd no matter what corner of the country the pull is in. This sport doesn't run on welfare checks and minimum wage and thats just how it is. If money is the issue for you, there's low budget classes for that, in fact there's arguably too many classes for that. I imagine if you got offered a big sponsorship, or fell into some money, your option would change drastically. Seriously, think about publicly shitting on the sponsors and "candy ass money" that is keeping our sport alive. How much do you donate to the sport every year? I already know the answer, but you've got the loudest and most abrasive opinion here, consider changing that.

My opinion on track length - YOU'RE ALL OVER THINKING IT.

LEAVE IT BE

ITS SIMPLE

If you want to watch pull offs like it's the 90s go to NTPA (won't find me there)

If you want to watch vehicles going as absolutely far as they can with no definite track length, burning it out at the end of every run, with no red flags, go to PPL (you'll find me at 320 feet every pull)

Re: Pull speed....... September 08, 2021 04:51PM
Idiot Caller Outer

This is quite possibly the most idiotic post on this website, and that's saying something. I'm embarrassed for you. Call up any of the quote "candy ass big spenders" that are keeping the USS class afloat and give them your speech on how they're ruining the class and see how well that goes for you. Even better, walk up to them in the pits and do it face to face. Not sure why you chose to attack the supers anyway? Hell let's look at all the classes. Are you going to contact Boyd's, Simon's, Nelson's, Sheltons, etc, etc ,etc, and tell them that they are the "problem" that you've CREATED with your piss poor logic? There is no correlation between high dollar pulling vehicles and track length. So often we are directed to stay on topic here or to start a new thread but yet this rambling mess will get to stay. We are trying to make this sport grow, not make it go backwards. We as fans should all be THANKFUL for the family's of pullers that show up every weeknd no matter what corner of the country the pull is in. This sport doesn't run on welfare checks and minimum wage and thats just how it is. If money is the issue for you, there's low budget classes for that, in fact there's arguably too many classes for that. I imagine if you got offered a big sponsorship, or fell into some money, your option would change drastically. Seriously, think about publicly shitting on the sponsors and "candy ass money" that is keeping our sport alive. How much do you donate to the sport every year? I already know the answer, but you've got the loudest and most abrasive opinion here, consider changing that.

LEAVE IT BE

ITS SIMPLE

If you want to watch pull offs like it's the 90s go to NTPA (won't find me there)

If you want to watch vehicles going as absolutely far as they can with no definite track length, burning it out at the end of every run, with no red flags, go to PPL (you'll find me at 320 feet every pull)

Awe what's the matter? Did Lewis hit a nerve with you????

Re: Pull speed....... September 08, 2021 06:19PM
nobody wants the truth, cuz we can't handle the truth,pretend is all that matters

Re: Pull speed....... September 08, 2021 11:30PM
Idiot Caller Outer

LEAVE IT BE

ITS SIMPLE

I agree. That's why we need timing lights. Quit building all that unnecessary engine heat and breakage. Time em through 300' and quit spinning em in at 365. Why do you want to tear up so much equipment unnecessarily with these excessively long runs? That's the goal right, make all these pulling vehicles last longer? One pass, with as little stress on the vehicle as possible to determine a winner.

Re: Pull speed....... September 09, 2021 12:13AM
Caller outer since your so smart mine was in regards to the low numbers in the big money classes using the excuses they can’t stay together back them down

Re: Pull speed....... September 09, 2021 03:43AM
Lewisq
Caller outer since your so smart mine was in regards to the low numbers in the big money classes using the excuses they can’t stay together back them down

Back them down to what...The way it was 30-40 years ago?? No Thanks....I dont see very many pullers on here griping that they wont stay together..

Re: Pull speed....... September 09, 2021 05:30AM
A recurring theme on here when talking about track length and ground speed is the effect the longer tracks have on engine heat. I thought I knew the answer to this but I'm a number guy so I looked it up. I went through several years of computer data and PPL results data and found that my longest hooks and highest ground speeds (and they go hand in hand) had the shortest runtime on my drivetrain and the least amount of heat. I would assume this is the result of being hooked up or not. This may be just my tractor but I doubt it. Food for thought.

Re: Pull speed....... September 09, 2021 06:50AM
Richard,almost every puller on here says the same thing...The faster and longer runs are the easiest on their tractors with the least run time and the least engine heat build up-etc..The data doesnt lie...Some fans on here refuse to believe it and want to go back to the way it was 30 years ago...Several of my friends say that a fast 330-350 ft run usually sees them at around 1400 degrees depending on the track-etc...

I pull a lesser horsepower tractor than yours and a recent 326 ft run had me at 1200 degrees.They usually stop my class at 300-325 ft which is just what I like but a 350 ft run wont hurt me any..

Re: Pull speed....... September 09, 2021 10:43AM
We all know that torque is ability to perform work, so if the pass is fast, efficient and engine runs at or hear high idle, -not as much work expended, not as much torque used,or needed, - hence less heat.

Re: Pull speed....... September 09, 2021 01:40PM
Im back how stupid can you be they dont have to be on here crying it was just stated only 4 ss dieaseles at a pull i have enough fingers and toes left count them all so smart a$$$ give us a total count that covers 50 States The class like many others is pricing itself out of existence even like the LLSS class that like it or not I got started or at least played a large role in That now you have 20 thousand n your turbo and tires what a starter class its ending up to be ,You EINSTEINS THE SLEDS CAN MAKE THE SHOW use them Caller Outer dont call me an ediot if you spent a 100 thousand to win 500 bucks or should i say 150

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2021 01:49PM by Lewis Conner.

Re: Pull speed....... September 09, 2021 02:20PM
Lewis Conner
Im back how stupid can you be they dont have to be on here crying it was just stated only 4 ss dieaseles at a pull i have enough fingers and toes left count them all so smart a$$$ give us a total count that covers 50 States The class like many others is pricing itself out of existence even like the LLSS class that like it or not I got started or at least played a large role in That now you have 20 thousand n your turbo and tires what a starter class its ending up to be ,You EINSTEINS THE SLEDS CAN MAKE THE SHOW use them Caller Outer dont call me an ediot if you spent a 100 thousand to win 500 bucks or should i say 150

You can't make this stuff up folks...

Re: Pull speed....... September 09, 2021 03:58PM
Idiot Caller Outer

You can't make this stuff up folks...

Oh shut up.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,561, Posts: 229,569, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,055, Posts: 225,833.

Our newest member BadHabit2