Whats it take? hot farm September 30, 2021 04:10PM
im wanting to build a 1066 hot farm tractor. it'll be pulled in a 10k # class in kentucky. originally i was gonna find a 1066 and start it in farm stock and work my way up to hot farm but that idea has pretty much gone away because of not being able to find a good farm stock class that isnt hours and hours away. My grandpa used to pull for a whole lotta years before i was born and when i was really young so thats what got me turned onto pulling. loved it my entire life but ive never had one and i decided its time to start trying to put something together. so thats where i come to yall with some questions. ive read over TNT's 10k hot farm rules which is who ill be pulling with so i get an okay understanding on that side of things. so my main question is what does it take? what kind of power am i gonna have to make to compete with these guys? what has to be done to make that power as reliably as a puller can be.....? I dont expect it to be a first place tractor. im not even looking for middle of the pack yet. im just trying to dip my feet in it and learn and go from there! ive asked about power/engine so now what about transmission, clutch, rear end? always heard its cheaper to buy something already built but id hate to do that and then not even know what exactly im looking at LOL! how much can i expect to spend on something like this? feel free to drop tips/advice. thanks

Re: Whats it take? hot farm October 01, 2021 12:09AM
Hey there. Good luck with your project!

What are your rules for cubic inch/turbo/tires ect?

Good news is you aren't worried about winning right away, you'll have much more fun with that mentality.

Bad news is eventually if you want to get competitive it will cost you. The more work you do yourself the better. Just get quotes on engine kits, fuel system, turbo, water inj, tires, safety equipment, ect.... it adds up really fast.

Hp wise to be competitive you need to be 1400+

Re: Whats it take? hot farm October 01, 2021 12:29AM
3000 rpm, 470 max cubes, 3” intake with no exhaust restriction, 20.8-38 tires, water injection allowed but I know absolutely nothing about it lol, no intercoolers. It won’t be a quick process but I hope to do a lot of the work. With some help along the way of course!

Re: Whats it take? hot farm October 04, 2021 01:12PM
Gettin into a whole lot more than I want to spend right now. I’m just looking for something to go out on a Saturday and pull and hangout and have a good time. I don’t care to win or get top 3.

Re: Whats it take? hot farm October 01, 2021 12:13AM
Sounds like a fun project. It also sounds like you're at the start of the learning curve. My suggestion would be to get higher up the curve by talking personally with some other pullers, maybe in your own club, and do some research on your own before you tap into this resource. The folks on here are friendly and helpful, but they're even friendlier and more helpful when you have a specific problem or concern that they can help you with. In the meantime, you might want to use the search feature and find older conversations On here about just what you're asking. A big part of it is learning the technical language so you can have a valuable conversation.

Re: Whats it take? hot farm October 01, 2021 12:32AM
Cliff
Sounds like a fun project. It also sounds like you're at the start of the learning curve. My suggestion would be to get higher up the curve by talking personally with some other pullers, maybe in your own club, and do some research on your own before you tap into this resource. The folks on here are friendly and helpful, but they're even friendlier and more helpful when you have a specific problem or concern that they can help you with. In the meantime, you might want to use the search feature and find older conversations On here about just what you're asking. A big part of it is learning the technical language so you can have a valuable conversation.

I hope it’ll be as fun as I’m thinking! Start of the learning curve indeed... Yeah I’m gonna try to talk to a guy that builds/works on them soon. I’ve done quite a bit of research but there’s still so many questions I have that google can’t seem to answer Eye Rolling

Re: Whats it take? hot farm October 01, 2021 01:39AM
We were in your shoes the last few years. Find yourself a p pump if it’s allowed go with dt 466 crank and pistons we are gonna have a 3000 rpm Vogel cam for sale. Just don’t try to go with to much turbo. But first get your transmission and clutch strong enough. We messed around with heavy duty t/a don’t waste time just put a straight shaft in it. Talk to Carl at Atlas great guy.

Re: Whats it take? hot farm February 12, 2023 01:53PM
Has taken longer than I anticipated but I’m finally on the hunt for an ugly 1066 to start tinkering with. Figure I’ll hit up some farm stock pulls while it slowly, very slowly gets built

Re: Whats it take? hot farm February 13, 2023 01:12AM
Most likely your energy for winning will be Much More passionate after the first time,(sec0nd for sure), you hook and pull the throttle lever. !!!!!!!!!! So do yourself a favor and go to the level of performance you really wish you had now, thinking about saving money is not How it works, cheap means heart break hotel with parts,performance and satisfaction, not saying that free or cheaper stuff isn't good or ok, but choosing the right important things the first time will always be a better choice, buying something running -most likely would be Best, don't buy a pig in a poke, buy it at the track, running, hooked that you can see, maybe even drive.Plan on spending more than you figure on, or it will be a struggle,will be anyway, but having good advice and parts helps the play factor, don't fool yourself, winning is more important than you are admitting. LOL !! Talk to engine builders, performance shops, they all know folks with good stuff for sale. Good Luck, enjoy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Whats it take? hot farm February 13, 2023 03:09AM
don't fool yourself
Most likely your energy for winning will be Much More passionate after the first time,(sec0nd for sure), you hook and pull the throttle lever. !!!!!!!!!! So do yourself a favor and go to the level of performance you really wish you had now, thinking about saving money is not How it works, cheap means heart break hotel with parts,performance and satisfaction, not saying that free or cheaper stuff isn't good or ok, but choosing the right important things the first time will always be a better choice, buying something running -most likely would be Best, don't buy a pig in a poke, buy it at the track, running, hooked that you can see, maybe even drive.Plan on spending more than you figure on, or it will be a struggle,will be anyway, but having good advice and parts helps the play factor, don't fool yourself, winning is more important than you are admitting. LOL !! Talk to engine builders, performance shops, they all know folks with good stuff for sale. Good Luck, enjoy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha you’re probably right about winning. We all want to win but I’ve been thinking about this for years. Eventually I’ll want to get more competitive but for now I just want to get my feet in. And you’re right about buying a running one. But my thinking is if I build it I know what I’m looking at and I know more of how to work on it because I built it. Rather than trying to work on something somebody else built. Financially smarter to buy built? Absolutely. Never claimed to be smart though LOL. My whole reason for building a hot farm is because we’ve lost all the farm stock classes around here. I live in Lebanon. There’s always a couple hot farm pulls here, campbellsville, bardstown, Danville, etc. all the farm stock pulls are hours and hours away. I figure I’ll just run a little less fuel and a smaller turbo and a lower gear for now. Hey I might look like a dummy out there but I’ll be having fun! As I get more experience I’ll be upgrading. My mom will be driving it some too because she’s always wanted a puller since her dad (Bobby Hourigan) pulled. Don’t want to start her on anything crazy anyway. I know someone said to not even mess with a heavy duty T/A but I’m curious at what power level they really become unreliable? Feel like on a tractor making a little less power it would be beneficial but that’s just my thinking

Re: Whats it take? hot farm February 14, 2023 01:39AM
Nally, you might look at the altered farm class thats getting pretty popular around us now. It's kinda like HF was when we were pro field at Campbellsville. Finally got Dixie sold I reckon, received a big down payment yesterday. Gonna miss her, but time to do something different.

Re: Whats it take? hot farm February 14, 2023 03:41AM
Dixie Binder --- where's the Ole girl off to ?

Re: Whats it take? hot farm February 15, 2023 04:32AM
East

Re: Whats it take? hot farm February 15, 2023 10:37AM
Dixie Binder
East

So are you getting out of pulling altogether or are you gonna get into something different?

Re: Whats it take? hot farm February 16, 2023 02:42AM
Getting out, tired of the money rackett. building a street and drag truck to play with. when I get it done, its done. Won't have to be upgrading every few weeks.

Re: Whats it take? hot farm February 16, 2023 07:12AM
I can definitely understand that. I’ve been going back and forth for years on if I want to build a drag car or a puller. Eventually I want both. But from all the memories I’ve had with my grandpa going to pulls and now that he’s gone I think that’s the direction I want to go first. Make some new memories I guess. You’ll definitely have some fun with that project! I’d say it’ll be more “relaxing” than pulling LOL

Re: Whats it take? hot farm February 14, 2023 05:32AM
Dixie Binder
Nally, you might look at the altered farm class thats getting pretty popular around us now. It's kinda like HF was when we were pro field at Campbellsville. Finally got Dixie sold I reckon, received a big down payment yesterday. Gonna miss her, but time to do something different.

Are you talking about 11k # with KITPA? Ah gonna miss seeing that tractor going down the track

Re: Whats it take? hot farm February 14, 2023 09:40AM
are you looking to buy a tractor, I have a 466 tractor for sale email me back if interested

Re: Whats it take? hot farm February 14, 2023 03:51PM
There's also a 11,000 AF that KOTTPA runs and it's pretty much hot farm minus cut tires and more RPM.

Re: Whats it take? hot farm October 01, 2021 03:18AM
He seems to be. I was out at his house the other day. Not 100% but he’ll be fine. Saw him out driving yesterday aswell. He was pretty upset he wasn’t able to pull Saturday

Re: Whats it take? hot farm October 01, 2021 02:15AM
We are one of the original Ky hot farms here in central Ky. We started around 17-18 years ago and still fighting the battle to stay competitive. This was supposed to be a economical starting class, but has turned out to be a dog eat dog war and who is willing to spend the most money.
If you are aiming to do your own build it will take a few years, and by the time you think you should be about done with buying high dollar parts, such as pumps, turbos, and so forth they will be obsolete. In my own opinion it will be better to buy a turn key tractor that is already competitive, and then you pick up where the previous owner was.
Just a reminder, these 3000 rpm engines are very costly to make them competitive, but it's there if you can find it. If you change your mind and decide to buy a tractor, I would consider selling mine if the price is right. Lanny Highhbaugh Dixie Binder. 270- 268- 8986. Good luck.

Re: Whats it take? hot farm October 01, 2021 02:56AM
Ky hot farm
We are one of the original Ky hot farms here in central Ky. We started around 17-18 years ago and still fighting the battle to stay competitive. This was supposed to be a economical starting class, but has turned out to be a dog eat dog war and who is willing to spend the most money.
If you are aiming to do your own build it will take a few years, and by the time you think you should be about done with buying high dollar parts, such as pumps, turbos, and so forth they will be obsolete. In my own opinion it will be better to buy a turn key tractor that is already competitive, and then you pick up where the previous owner was.
Just a reminder, these 3000 rpm engines are very costly to make them competitive, but it's there if you can find it. If you change your mind and decide to buy a tractor, I would consider selling mine if the price is right. Lanny Highhbaugh Dixie Binder. 270- 268- 8986. Good luck.

Saw your tractor in Lebanon last week. Sure is good lookin! But yeah I mean who knows, may end up buying something built. Just have to see. But say Phillip Craig for example (whiskey binder). His tractor Doesnt take first but I bet he has just as much fun as a first place driver! That’s where I wanna be. Yeah even farm stock was supposed to be a cheaper way to pull but now it’s just money money money. Not sure if you remember the Hourigans but that’s where I come from. Bobby Hourigan was my grandpa. Him and his brother Eugene pulled an 1155 years ago

Re: Whats it take? hot farm October 01, 2021 03:05AM
Yep, pulled aganist Eugeans 1155 many times when we first started over at Campbellsville. Hope ole Phillip is feeling better. He has some of our old parts on his tractor.

Re: Whats it take? hot farm October 01, 2021 08:34AM
Ky hot farm
Yep, pulled aganist Eugeans 1155 many times when we first started over at Campbellsville. Hope ole Phillip is feeling better. He has some of our old parts on his tractor.

I don’t think my last post got posted. I tried to say I believe Phillip is doing better. I was out at his house the other day taking a treadmill to him so he could try to get his strength and stamina back up. Then I saw him out driving yesterday. And that 1155 turned into a show queen now. Always wanted to buy it but somebody else got to it faster

Re: Whats it take? hot farm October 01, 2021 04:12AM
Have you checked out the Kitpa 11,500 altered farm class it would be a lot cheaper to build for

Re: Whats it take? hot farm October 01, 2021 05:21AM
It's 11,000 and I am not sure how much "cheaper" it is if you actually want to do well. It is a good group of guys though.

Re: Whats it take? hot farm October 01, 2021 08:38AM
bbailey
Have you checked out the Kitpa 11,500 altered farm class it would be a lot cheaper to build for

Yeah I looked at it a bit. The pulls are quite a ways away from me with some exceptions of a few. I’m not sure it’s a whole lot cheaper. Saw them on youtube and they look pretty “spicy”

Re: Whats it take? hot farm October 03, 2021 04:38AM
If you are looking to get in ky hot farm and you want to get on the right path to the top you need to contact Kevin Boggs at Boggs farm service. He’s the #1 red 3000 rpm engine builder in that class.

Re: Whats it take? hot farm October 03, 2021 10:11AM
Save yourself lots of time and money buy a super farm and and put 20.8's on it and remove the cooler if it has one. There's just what you want for sale on this site.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2021 10:14AM by jd43.

Re: Whats it take? hot farm October 03, 2021 11:14AM
The 470 cube limit is going to become an issue if he follows your advice jd43

Re: Whats it take? hot farm October 04, 2021 03:38AM
Decube it .

Re: Whats it take? hot farm October 04, 2021 03:45AM
That would be pointless

Re: Whats it take? hot farm October 04, 2021 12:51PM
I strongly disagree. Think about it. You have a great chassis, clutch set-up, roll cage, data logger, rear end built for pulling and tranny. It doesn't have to be a Sf it could be a L Pro or as in Pa. tractors a Mod turbo. I've always said if you want to be a top runner buy up a class and demote it to the lower class. We bought a Hot Farm and it runs real good but without spending another 20,000 it won't be a top 3 in any eastern 466 Hot Farm class. It's just a suggestion.

Re: Whats it take? hot farm October 04, 2021 01:20PM
Typically only works if you are buying a proven product from the class you want to run. To many buy something geared wrong and engine setup wrong and pay decent money for it then completely rebuild it to suit the rules of their class in turn negating the money saved in the first place. Seen it way to many times

Re: Whats it take? hot farm October 04, 2021 01:48PM
here in ky the 3000 hot farm tractors are running about 1050 to 1200hp and about 2500 to 2800 ft lbs of torque with no intercooler. I know it cost money but when you get one together spend a day at the dyno.

Re: Whats it take? hot farm October 04, 2021 02:21PM
OL1955
here in ky the 3000 hot farm tractors are running about 1050 to 1200hp and about 2500 to 2800 ft lbs of torque with no intercooler. I know it cost money but when you get one together spend a day at the dyno.

Sounds good, thank you!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,613, Posts: 229,669, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,064, Posts: 225,890.

Our newest member JD_8520