Solution to a pronlem..... November 10, 2021 11:07AM
Let's just remove the word "tractor" from any national classes,except superfarm.never say the word tractor in any way,shape ,or form,in ps-dss-USS-lss-all mod classes. Problem solved.Rick feicht nights been right,calling his group,"usa east sled pulling ",no mention of tractors or trucks

Re: Solution to a pronlem..... November 10, 2021 03:11PM
Why ?

Re: Solution to a pronlem..... November 11, 2021 12:18AM
Patches do ever read your posts b 4 u post deem.

Re: Solution to a pronlem..... November 11, 2021 12:40AM
Yea

Re: There is no problem, solution not required...... November 11, 2021 12:59AM
This has to be one of the most ridiculous points made recently on this board.

BrandonA is right on the money as far as I'm concerned. How nice that social media is driving the bus on society anymore.......don't like something? Just post you don't like it, why it should change, and what you think it should be. Boom!! Within probably a day you have hoards of sheep following your comments and screaming for change. Absolutely ridiculous.

Maybe this works for other major societal problems, but this is a hobby for goodness sake.

What does dropping a word really change? In this particular case nothing. It changes absolutely nothing. Everything stays the same and you've pleased a few whiners who don't really even know why they don't like what they don't like.

How do we define "tractor"? November 11, 2021 01:54AM
pointless
This has to be one of the most ridiculous points made recently on this board.

BrandonA is right on the money as far as I'm concerned. How nice that social media is driving the bus on society anymore.......don't like something? Just post you don't like it, why it should change, and what you think it should be. Boom!! Within probably a day you have hoards of sheep following your comments and screaming for change. Absolutely ridiculous.

Maybe this works for other major societal problems, but this is a hobby for goodness sake.

What does dropping a word really change? In this particular case nothing. It changes absolutely nothing. Everything stays the same and you've pleased a few whiners who don't really even know why they don't like what they don't like.

I think you're overreacting a bit. This isn't cancel culture. I think the real discussion is how does this sport define a tractor now days? For some people it's the hood. For some it's the engine block. For some it's the rear-end. The sport has moved to where most of the hoods are not OEM, nor are they factory size or length. Many of the engine blocks are truck blocks, or aftermarket blocks. For component classes it's no longer a tractor rear-end. So the question is how do we define a tractor? Is it disingenuous to call some of these vehicles tractors?

I don't know the answer. I definitely can see the side of the argument that thinks it's disingenuous. However I also know there's no clear definition of tractor and some manufactures have taken a different approach in how they built tractors throughout history. I think most people understand there's no clear definition or blueprint so I don't think the term "tractor" is completely inappropriate.

I know I still hear plenty of announcers say "the modified tractor class" when referring to multi-engine mods. Clearly there's nothing "tractor" on a modern Mod but the name tells a quick story about the classes history. It tells a quick story about how the class evolved from a true tractor class into what it is today.

For me personally I don't mind keeping "tractor" in the names of these classes any more than I mind keeping the term "stock" in the names of the classes. I don't think either of those terms really mislead anyone. I do think the sport does mislead people (the term "Unlimited" seems to be a hugely misleading term. Allowing a Deere block under a different hood seems to be intentionally misleading). I don't think the term tractor is intentional misleading, but much like calling them Modified Tractors, it give a history lesson of how the classes have evolved. Just my $.02

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2021 01:55AM by Jake Morgan.

Re: How do we define "tractor"? November 11, 2021 07:12AM
Kind of along the lines of this discussion, one thing that always amazes me is that the OEMs (particularly Deere) are not having an absolute meltdown about that "thing" going down the track being called a John Deere tractor. As protective as they are over their name, image and likeness I would think that they would file a copyright infringement suit on every K&K tractor ever built and somebody in marketing is probably having a coronary when the announcer calls out so and so on his 7920 Deere in the prostock class.

I am sure they are smart enough not to upset their primary customers and it is free advertising but as protective as they are over their brand it is still somewhat of a surprise.

Re: How do we define "tractor"? November 13, 2021 04:11PM
mh49
Kind of along the lines of this discussion, one thing that always amazes me is that the OEMs (particularly Deere) are not having an absolute meltdown about that "thing" going down the track being called a John Deere tractor. As protective as they are over their name, image and likeness I would think that they would file a copyright infringement suit on every K&K tractor ever built and somebody in marketing is probably having a coronary when the announcer calls out so and so on his 7920 Deere in the prostock class.

I am sure they are smart enough not to upset their primary customers and it is free advertising but as protective as they are over their brand it is still somewhat of a surprise.

Well........and not to change the subject or derail this discussion, but the anti gun lefties want to make the gun manufactures liable for what their customers do with their products, so it may not be to much more of a reach, (although a much larger reach in this case), to make tractor manufacturers liable for what someone does to one of their tractor, even if only the tractor manufacturers name is on the pulling vehicle.

Re: Solution to a pronlem..... November 11, 2021 01:17AM
Totally agree. We should rename "Funny Car" to "Fuel Wedge" for the same reason...

CP

Re: Solution to a pronlem..... November 11, 2021 12:29AM
patches
Let's just remove the word "tractor" from any national classes,except superfarm.never say the word tractor in any way,shape ,or form,in ps-dss-USS-lss-all mod classes. Problem solved.Rick feicht nights been right,calling his group,"usa east sled pulling ",no mention of tractors or trucks

You sound like the type of guy that would support things like turning the Dixie Chicks into The Chicks so you don't offend people. Or removing civil war statues because they are racist. It's a tractor pull and we watch pulling tractors and trucks.

Re: Solution to a pronlem..... November 11, 2021 12:49AM
Why not ,im a diehard tractor traditionalist,been around pulling for close to 50 years in various forms.wouldnt removing the word tractor end lots of issues with component/non component arguement.the any engine/any sheetmetal rule.the classes I listed are not traditional tractors in any way,thier pulling "vehicles".and to brandon a,I dont fit your description in anyway,your in a fantasy land if you think the listed classes are "really tractors",thier only that in that they have a similar tread pattern on the tires.

Re: Solution to a pronlem..... November 11, 2021 01:16AM
I never said they were really tractors. There are tractors and then there are pulling tractors.

Re: Solution to a pronlem..... November 11, 2021 02:08AM
Reality check people, being politically correct has made every thing a stupid fake pretend BS dishonest state of affairs, we can't and should not change History to comply to minorities mind set, this day and change again tomorrow, History does repeat itself , ,please on this day especially don't forget. Pulling vehicles are just that, purpose build units to do a specific job, fun, sport, competition, call it hybrid, call it unique, names matter not, - enjoy Live and Let Live !!!! Arguing on here like little girls and babies with panties in a wad never makes any sense, grow up, act, speak and be mature, we all have different ideas about how things are and could or should be, but Life is short and we are all biased and prejudiced, nature dictates that from our upbringing experiences, so grab your boot straps pull em up and continue marching SOLDER. Tell a vet thanks, be glad we have some freedoms left, they are a rare bird these days fleeting fast from our future.

Re: Solution to a pronlem..... November 11, 2021 03:53AM
George, you apparently are not woke. You could be cancelled for talking about crybabies, panties in wad, and support for veterans. Shame on you.

Re: Solution to a pronlem..... November 11, 2021 04:22AM
Its funny how the board is filled with a "controversy" of "is it a tractor or is it something else." Sure be nice to read interesting things such as how they performed at the last pull or what do you suppose the next breakthrough in horsepower will be, etc etc. Instead we have all turned this into an argument page over things that just don't matter much. Most classes have, at the most, a block only as the part that can be called a tractor. That has always made me laugh. If I want to watch a "tractor pull" I will go to the nearest farm stock pull. I do that occasionally.
I love "tractor" pulling. I don't care what you all call my tractor/thing/mod. It sure is a blast flying down the track on it. In my eyes most high level classes are a "mod." Doesn't matter to me. As long as they let me I will be running it down the track.
Their REALLY are more important and "fun" things to talk about than a "what is it" discussion. I rarely post but at least breeze over the topics fairly often. I appreciate the Morgans having this board. However, it is less fun that it should be.
I would much rather discuss who will make Louisville, who will win each class, what new tractors/mod/thing will be out next year, etc.
By the way my "thing" has not even one single part that came from the factory and doesn't bother me a bit. I know some will care and some don't. I respect everyone's opinion. However, it won't change my opinion. I show up at the track to have a legitimate chance to win. In my version of a "mod" class you can't do that well with the stock block matching my hood. I show up to compete and have fun doing it.
I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving and am looking forward to Louisville again. Two years is too long of wait.

Re: Solution to a pronlem..... November 11, 2021 05:12AM
It's not a "controversy" it's just a discussion. This is a Forum... discussion board, for discussions. Some I find interesting, some I don't. Some you do, some you don't Again, It's simple...
  • Don't read the threads you don't like.
  • Don't respond to threads you don't like.
  • Start threads to talk about things you like.
  • Respond to threads about things you like.
It really is that simple. There's no magic formula to these discussions. Since you did neither of those things and decided to take the time to write a response to this thread I can only assume that you really do want to talk about this and you have an opinion but you just disagree (which is actually what you said... "Doesn't matter to me. As long as they let me I will be running it down the track"). It's fine that you disagree nobody is forcing you to care about any topic, but by your response it sure does seem like you do care.

As far as this page not being as fun as it should be... are you starting topics to make it more fun? Are you contributing to making it "better" or are you just a consumer that cares about constantly taking and not giving anything back? You're talking about a service that I pour money into and you get for FREE and you're not willing to contribute anything to make it better, you just want to complain about what others are talking about. You said "I rarely post but at least breeze over the topics fairly often" that is the definition of a consumer mindset and it gets frustrating for me to see that lazy attitude when I write the check month after month to provide a place for people to gripe about how they wish it was better but don't want to do anything themselves to make it better. Consider less complaining and actually contributing more positive content.

To those who have contributed thanks for keeping all the discussions going in this motorsport, even the ones I don't like or don't care about.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Solution to a pronlem..... November 11, 2021 08:09AM
Sorry to upset anyone. Anyways, I will keep running my toy tractor and shut up. Didn't mean to do anything but say I don't understand the big deal about what a tractor is called. They are mods plain and simple to me. I will try to refrain from responding to topics. Didn't mean to upset anyone. Wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving and a Merry Christmas!

Re: Solution to a pronlem..... November 11, 2021 08:15AM
By the way Jake,
I just sent you $50 for my contribution.

Re: Solution to a pronlem..... November 11, 2021 08:33AM
Thanks for the donation.

I'm not upset, however I am disappointed that much of the world has a consumer mindset/attitude. I see it in everything now days, including this website, and it's even in our churches. People look at what they can get out of something instead of what they can contribute and add to the world.

You're comments about not responding to topics is the problem... that's not the solution. The solution is to add good content to the page. The solution is to add more positive comments to topics. To start more positive threads. If you think the negativity is too high then add something positive. Instead of people complaining I'd rather have people contributing to the discussion. Instead of saying that you're going to refrain from commenting, instead refrain from complaining and simply add productive content.

This is to everyone... help build up the community/discussion instead of standing on the sidelines or tearing others down. Get in the game and add to the discussion in a positive way.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2021 08:55AM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Solution to a pronlem..... November 13, 2021 05:54PM
Jake Morgan
It's not a "controversy" it's just a discussion. This is a Forum... discussion board, for discussions. Some I find interesting, some I don't. Some you do, some you don't Again, It's simple...

[*] Don't read the threads you don't like.
[*] Don't respond to threads you don't like.
[*] Start threads to talk about things you like.
[*] Respond to threads about things you like.

It really is that simple. There's no magic formula to these discussions. Since you did neither of those things and decided to take the time to write a response to this thread I can only assume that you really do want to talk about this and you have an opinion but you just disagree (which is actually what you said... "Doesn't matter to me. As long as they let me I will be running it down the track"). It's fine that you disagree nobody is forcing you to care about any topic, but by your response it sure does seem like you do care.

As far as this page not being as fun as it should be... are you starting topics to make it more fun? Are you contributing to making it "better" or are you just a consumer that cares about constantly taking and not giving anything back? You're talking about a service that I pour money into and you get for FREE and you're not willing to contribute anything to make it better, you just want to complain about what others are talking about. You said "I rarely post but at least breeze over the topics fairly often" that is the definition of a consumer mindset and it gets frustrating for me to see that lazy attitude when I write the check month after month to provide a place for people to gripe about how they wish it was better but don't want to do anything themselves to make it better. Consider less complaining and actually contributing more positive content.

To those who have contributed thanks for keeping all the discussions going in this motorsport, even the ones I don't like or don't care about.

This sport has become, or evolved into, (however one once to say it), what it has become today, so......

In light of that, in my opinion, BOTH words......"tractor" AND "pulling" could be taken as misleading. We've had discussions on here before regarding "pulling" not really being "pulling" anymore, as opposed to pulling in the very early years of this sport. Many consider weight transfer type pulling another form of drag racing.

Now, not trying to derail this discussion , but maybe we should look at this discussion like we look at baseball, basketball or football . There are what, basically to "types" of pulling based on the type of sled used, weight transfer sleds and deadweight sleds , just like the different types of sports or ball games depending on the ball being used, but we still refer to them as ball games.

Even though I'm one of those who consider weight transfer type pulling, akin to drag racing, we're still going to call our sport "pulling", and even though the "type" of vehicle varies somewhat between the classes, we're still going to call them "tractors"

Giving this discussion some thought AND still considering the direction this sport has went over the years, I still think throwing away those two "words" that have defined our sport may not be the best thing to do. Who knows, the sport may, and probably will, continue to evolve, maybe even another type of pulling with an all together different objective that puts "pulling" back into the sport. No reason there isn't room for something new and innovative.

.......Hmmmm, another type of pulling with a totally different objective, (and yes, I've got ideas) !!! Maybe "this" issue needs to be it's own separate discussion ?!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2021 06:08PM by JDpowershift.

Re: Solution to a pronlem..... November 11, 2021 03:53PM
Can you really call the superfarm class a tractor class as well? With all these tube frames, Aluminum sheet metal, atlasmax/profab transmissions, sqhd rearends, planetary finals.... seems to me that rules them out as well.... sorry to burst your bubble.

Re: Solution to a pronlem..... November 11, 2021 11:21PM
super farm is still non-component. with the exception of frame rails you could put all those parts in a stock class and nobody would know.

Re: Solution to a pronlem.....THERE IS NO PROBLEM. November 12, 2021 06:25AM
SF and the original poster are just pissy about component TRACTORS.
Period.
They are just using this forum to air their gripes.
Might I suggest they take up antique tractor pulling, or perhaps horse pulling?
Better yet, CHECKERS. It is an old game, the pieces and rules haven't changed in years.

Re: Solution to a pronlem.....THERE IS NO PROBLEM. November 12, 2021 05:24PM
I'm not pissy at all about components.if it wasnt for them the ps/as would have untold breakage. Just dont call em tractor classes,they resemble tractors.

Re: Solution to a pronlem.....THERE IS NO PROBLEM. November 13, 2021 03:45AM
The only problem we seem to have is that most want rules that fits the personal agenda, not the general populace's needs, wants and desires, and what's good for the overall goals.Humans are selfish and very near sighted for the most part,instant gratification,why so many adults addicted to so many things, samo SAMO.

Re: Solution to a pronlem.....THERE IS NO PROBLEM. November 13, 2021 11:45AM
xxx thumbs up on that one

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,572, Posts: 229,598, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,057, Posts: 225,853.

Our newest member BadHabit2