Suggested tweak to BG schedule January 25, 2022 04:46AM
This was mentioned last year, but it makes even more sense now.

According to what others have posted before, next year the NTPA Light Unlimited class has one event: Bowling Green.

As also mentioned before, every single puller in this class can and has run the 7500 RN mod class, 7500 GN mod class or Unlimited class.
As a replacement, I suggest having a Pro National mod class replace the light unlimiteds. They could still pay a GN/SN level purse.

I believe Sno Farmer mentioned this would also help the GN mod class, as several RN guys would probably run it. They should easily be able to draw 20 vehicles from R2 plus a few from East Coast or New York.

Fort Recovery proved last year this class can put on a quality show in their own right, even if scheduled in the same session as unlmiteds (as Session 1 at BG has done with the Lt and Heavy Unlimiteds). They would also draw allisons (right now Bollinger is the only one) and more turbines besides Barga. I'd guess the Radial Reactor tractor would also come. In other words, more varied engine types.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2022 04:47AM by The Original Michael.

Re: Suggested tweak to BG schedule January 25, 2022 07:56AM
The Original Michael
This was mentioned last year, but it makes even more sense now.

According to what others have posted before, next year the NTPA Light Unlimited class has one event: Bowling Green.

As also mentioned before, every single puller in this class can and has run the 7500 RN mod class, 7500 GN mod class or Unlimited class.
As a replacement, I suggest having a Pro National mod class replace the light unlimiteds. They could still pay a GN/SN level purse.

I believe Sno Farmer mentioned this would also help the GN mod class, as several RN guys would probably run it. They should easily be able to draw 20 vehicles from R2 plus a few from East Coast or New York.

Fort Recovery proved last year this class can put on a quality show in their own right, even if scheduled in the same session as unlmiteds (as Session 1 at BG has done with the Lt and Heavy Unlimiteds). They would also draw allisons (right now Bollinger is the only one) and more turbines besides Barga. I'd guess the Radial Reactor tractor would also come. In other words, more varied engine types.

I feel they already have this, since if you have seen an older NTPA post, they opened up the rules basically saying make the weight and you can run. so this kind of, not perfectly, but in a sense like the RN mod they have. 3 or 2 engines, etc. except its unlimited.

Re: Suggested tweak to BG schedule January 25, 2022 09:15AM
A major difference is RN mod weighs 7500 lbs. Light Unlimited is 6000 lbs

Re: Suggested tweak to BG schedule January 25, 2022 09:30AM
Greg k

Not only that, but are turbines still banned in light unlimited?

Re: Suggested tweak to BG schedule January 27, 2022 01:24AM
The Original Michael

This may be a question better answered in a separate thread but a thought of mine based on your question. The unlimited class use to see LD Nation Indian Outlaw, and Gardner Stone The General, consistently at the top of the class. I know this was 10ish years ago but why are turbine tractors no longer competitive?

No disrespect to the Barga's I enjoy watching them pull as they are one of the few unique tractors left on the circuit. Walsh Brothers as well.

Re: Suggested tweak to BG schedule January 27, 2022 02:20AM
BrandonA

This may be a question better answered in a separate thread but a thought of mine based on your question. The unlimited class use to see LD Nation Indian Outlaw, and Gardner Stone The General, consistently at the top of the class. I know this was 10ish years ago but why are turbine tractors no longer competitive?

No disrespect to the Barga's I enjoy watching them pull as they are one of the few unique tractors left on the circuit. Walsh Brothers as well.

Because you can only get so much horsepower out of a turbine. I'm not a turbine guy, but I think its just a big wheel on a shaft, when superchargers and even turbos have so much more to work with.

Re: Suggested tweak to BG schedule January 27, 2022 08:41AM
Rules were made yrs ago in the interest of equal and fair play so to speak, as I understand it, and limits were put on many types of power plants, Allisions have limits which are antiquated now, as do turbines, More Power with screw blowers, and Hemis have upped the HP, so why not adjust the rules so the engines not competitive can still play.

Re: Suggested tweak to BG schedule January 27, 2022 08:49AM
Whatever rules are in place to limit the Allison's and the turbines should be reviewed. These tractors use to be super competitive now they are rare and seemingly at a disadvantage. Any change done to impact this would open the class up to a bit more diverse engine selection

Re: Suggested tweak to BG schedule January 27, 2022 10:13AM
Cut the hemis back.simple enough

Re: Suggested tweak to BG schedule January 27, 2022 10:17AM
Sure is simple and very easy, but no one wants to make concessions, on any level, more and more power and speed, but no more strength.

Re: Suggested tweak to BG schedule January 27, 2022 03:09PM
Several years ago the RN rules were changed to allow the Turbines more power as well as giving the Allison's a larger super charger overdrive. Since that change several events have been won by Turbines last summer not to mention the Bollinger's twin being very competitive when it runs with us. I don't know how closely anyone follows RN Mods but there are wedge tractors out there that can run with the Hemi's on any given night. BTW one particular wedge owner is not in favor of cutting back the Hemi's he feels they can run with the Hemi's.

So the simple solution according to Patches is to cut back the Hemi's? We've been there done that, we've cut back overdrive,we run two against three most of the time. How about in a class that IH tractors dominate you make them run smaller turbos than the JDs, how would that fly with the red guys?

S'no Farmer

Re: Suggested tweak to BG schedule January 28, 2022 02:18AM
Todd I appreciate your willingness to get on this site and provide a pullers perspective! It's always appreciated.

Re: Suggested tweak to BG schedule January 28, 2022 03:16AM
Take this with a grain of salt as the experience is not universal, but a lot of it had to do with the driveability, not the power. The newer tires coupled with turbines being a "light switch" they are much harder to walk out or throttle. You pretty much get it all or nothing. It is why there a lots of videos of turbines one-wheeling out of the hole.

CP

Re: Suggested tweak to BG schedule January 28, 2022 04:39AM
How many of you have ever seen a Pulling Turbine Engine EXPLODE? That word, "explode" is capitalized for a real reason!!! Fortunately, the crowd, on each side of the track, was a long way from the pow-wow slinging turbine parts epoisode. But, still, there were people hit. And he had all the safety shielding around the engine. However, the explosion instantly made that shield a pretzel and blew it apart too. That's quite the series of photos I have.

And we are currently concerned about the internal combustion diesels exploding. Yes, for good reason, too. However, that turbine explosion was absolutley horrific in power and how far away parts were found. And that was a 'limited turbine horsepower' Region puller.

Perhaps, it can be equated to a 100 year extreme weather phenomon. But, still, you need to be aware of such occasions and plan on it occurring sometime. Just like this pandemic we are still experiencing. The bottom line is, just how much risk will anyone accept?

I need to get back to reviewing a multitude of 1000's of '21 pulling photos, that need to find their way to my website. Along with many other kinds of events. '21 was a very busy year!!!

Re: Suggested tweak to BG schedule January 28, 2022 05:14AM
I don't think a single person attends a tractor pull worried about their safety as a spectator. We're all aware of the potential risks but I'm not going to wear a helmet to watch a pull because once in a blue moon an engine detonates and could hurt someone. I'm not saying safety shouldn't be considered when writing rules for an association or planning an event but I've never once been scared as a tractor went down the track.

But maybe we should all wear helmets to pulls to protect those around us.....(we've all heard this type of logic before, I just can't seem to remember where)

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,576, Posts: 229,605, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,058, Posts: 225,857.

Our newest member BadHabit2