? about antique pulling January 28, 2022 01:50AM
I don't watch much antique pulling, but have a couple questions:

In the antique world, does one brand tend to dominate in the same way that IH does with diesel supers or JD does with pro stock?

How often do the antique sanctioning bodies tweak the rules to keep everything competitive?

We read about rising costs with PPL/NTPA classes. How expensive is it these days to run at the top of a Div. 3, 4, or 5 class?

Thanks

Re: ? about antique pulling January 28, 2022 02:21AM
Just seen a 560 IH antiquer listed for $55k.

Re: ? about antique pulling January 28, 2022 03:24AM
It's a lot, but Conner's tractor is probably the baddest on the planet right now.

CP

Re: ? about antique pulling January 28, 2022 02:29AM
You get get $30,000 into a 2 cylinder John Deere pretty quick if you want to run at the top.

Re: ? about antique pulling January 28, 2022 02:51AM
All brands have a spot to shine but it varies with regard to weight and speed. Example, an AC WD can be pretty competitive in light classes up to 4mph regardless of tire size or cut; An Oliver 88 can be competitive at a variety of weights and speeds.

The NATPA holds a general business meeting each spring in conjunction with their Championship pull. The membership reviews a different specific division each year except for Division 5+ and 2T which are board controlled classes. Rules are locked in for 3 years. Rules have been adjusted some over the 12 years I've been following the circuit but nothing dramatic; certain engine combinations have been added to divisions 3 and 4 and 5+ was added to bring in more of the USAP style pullers, which generally only limit tire weight hitch and speed.

It's all expensive. You can run division 2 pretty reasonably and 2t is another jump in cost. Tire and hutch restrictions in those classes make them a setup and driving game versus a hp game. 5-10k is a pretty broad estimate but that can get you on a good tractor in those classes, that's already built. The faster you go the bigger the checkbook. It's cheaper to buy one than to build one, but figure 50k+ on a top flight 12mph/open 560 Farmall or a 6 8 10 12 mph 1000cid Deere... it really depends how much labor you invest personally. There are good division 3 and 4 tractors out there for 12-25k.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: ? about antique pulling January 28, 2022 03:58AM
We had Hyper parts in the M in the late 90’s. I always told the wife there was more money in the antique then the super the first few years we pulled it. Got a lot more in Ford now.

Re: ? about antique pulling January 28, 2022 04:48AM
Whats ruining antique pulling is rpm limits and no cubic inch limits. Antique pulling could be could be pretty affordable if they would just limit the things that they need to be limited. Antique pulling is just a game of who has the most cubic inch. And if it's not then why are they all over 500 ci? And the tractors that arent able to get that many cubes out ot their motors are screwed.

And dont you think its time to get rid of the word "Antique"?
Most of these tractors have nothing on them antique but the sheet metal and even thats debatable. It'd be nice to see an ih 686 instead of seeing 30 560s in a class. After all a 686 isn't that new anymore either and why not allow newer sheet metal like a case ih.

"Antique" doesn't make tractors stock, theres nothing in tractor pulling that makes a tractor stock besides maybe making each puller dyno before you pull but hardly anyone has time for that at a pull. The only way to make tractor pulling affordable and competitive is by having speed limits. If you want a class for more of a stock tractor then you have a slower speed limit and if you want a class for hotter tractors then have a faster speed limit. But it should be up to the puller on how he wants to make their hp to go those speed limits. Rather if thats by going with big cubes and low rpm or small cubes with high rpm or even by using a turbo it shouldn't matter what they have aslong as they stay under the speed limit.

This is the only way to make antique pulling truly fair and competitive.

Its time to get rid of National Antique Tractor Pullers Association and make it into National Paced Tractor Pullers Association.

Re: ? about antique pulling January 28, 2022 05:09AM
I our organization the rules have been revamped and for the first time have a cubic inch limit in them of 375. Naturally aspirated. No speed limit, and 30% over to a max of 3000rpm. 18.4x38 tires, 5750lbs. There is no rule that you can put in to mandate 'no spending', but we are hopeful that someone can put a tractor together very reasonably, and come out and have fun. We are allowing to update engines, as long as it follows the brand. For example, IH 281 to 301 or 312, etc. We are hoping that we have AC's, IH's JD's, Olivers, MM, Ford, etc come out. We also have a an age limit of 30 years old. That way, some newer tractors can come out and play too. We hope this works, but all we can do is try it. We need to grow the sport with new pullers, so hopefully this will be a way of getting them started.

Re: ? about antique pulling January 28, 2022 05:19AM
I build parts for antique pullers. I pull 2 cylinders, and will be the first to tell you that a 2 cylinder costs a lot more per HP than anything else. A 2 cylinder that runs at the top in 6-8mph classes can easily be in the $30,000s, and I know of a couple that I don't think $40,000 would build it. Depends on how much bling you want inside and out, and how much of it you can do yourself. A 2 cylinder can compete up to 8 MPH if there is an enforced RPM limit. If there is no RPM limit, the RD parade will run you over.

The hot ticket right now in faster classes is 460/560 sheet metal (not all of them start with a 460/560 chassis Winking ) with either a Red Diamond truck engine, or a 466 with spark plugs. Either of those engines at 3500-4000 RPM is hard to hang with if you don't also have one.

You can make a 6 cylinder MM 1200+ CI, and if RPM is controlled they will dominate. Unchecked RPM and a red one with a lot less CI will run with them.

10 years ago in NATPA division 4, M Farmalls dominated. Then a few 4 cylinder MM started showing up, and they could be built 150ci larger than the biggest M at the time, and got 60 more RPM to boot. Over the next few years, the class went from red to prairie gold.

Division 3 and up, there is NOTHING antique about it anymore. The technology and advancements in the last 10-15 years is unreal. Stuff that was exotic and only a few guys had years ago is now standard issue that you have to have just to keep up.

There are a few tractors that run newer sheet metal, where someone doesn't come unglued because "oh my God, it's not antique anymore!!!" I know of a few that change sheet metal for some pulls because it is an RPM advantage, then put older metal on where the newer "tractor" isn't allowed because it's too new.

Re: ? about antique pulling January 28, 2022 01:34PM
I would love to get a 4 cyl utility turbo class in ky started it could be done if some were interested say around 5500 pound or so

Re: ? about antique pulling January 29, 2022 12:30PM
Isn’t antique and farm stock along same examples?

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,576, Posts: 229,605, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,058, Posts: 225,857.

Our newest member BadHabit2