Have Pullers already set their own value? May 01, 2022 01:38PM
When pullers are willing to leave their driveways with 1,2 ,3 or even 4 vehicles and pull for a first place prize of sometimes less than $1000, have they set their own value? When one pulling vehicle can cost in excess of $350,000 what is the motivating factor? While everyone talks about prize money does it really matter what first place pays, is paying a bigger purse really bringing out more competitors? It can't be the money, with the current cost of diesel fuel the price of just getting out of the driveway has already put the puller in a financial hole. So what is the driving force?

I think that almost every puller would have a slightly different answer. For some is the love of competition, the designing and building of their own creations. For others it's getting the last possible HP out of the machines. And for some it's family, friendships and a sense of belonging to a rather elite club. And for some it's the sure thrill of driving something that's unique and right on the edge of craziness. With vehicles from 2000 to 12,000 HP the rush is the driving force.

So that begs the question, would puller rather pull in front of 15,000 fans for $1000 to win or 1500 fans to win $10,000?

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: Have Pullers already set their own value? May 01, 2022 01:43PM
Curious to know what pullers thoughts are on rising fuel prices and driving 6-10 hours to pulls…. Won’t take long to be upside down very quickly. Sure, pulling is an labor of love, but even the elite pullers will have to think twice before spending $1200-$1500 per weekend to travel…. Just to get tot the pulls. Interested to know pullers thoughts on this?

Re: Have Pullers already set their own value? May 01, 2022 02:49PM
I believe that high fuel prices will most certainly limit many pullers travel radius.
Dick, I can say as a competitor there is not really 1 thing in particular that drives us to the desire to compete in tractor pulling. Certainly the camaraderie with other people with the same interests we have, definitely the family and friends aspect ranks really high, our competitive nature, doing the majority of the work on our 3 tractors is definitely rewarding, the thrill of a textbook pass is always a great feeling to know you did your homework, of course getting a win now and then. As for prize money, it is nice to get a payday once in a while and get a little jingle to help cover your travel and hooks fees is always nice, however I have been competing in tractor pulling for nearly 48 years and I have to honestly say that a paycheck is nothing more than a bonus if you are fortunate enough to collect a check at an event. Again payout is definitely not the driving force for our team but is a nice perk if you get payed. There is no way we could ever collect enough in prize money to ever even put a small dent in the amount of money spent and to recover your costs to build and compete. We feel grateful just to break even if we were fortunate enough to do so on any given night. As for 15000 fans versus 1500? Definitely we like the 15000 crowds! Nothing better than to lay one down and get the crowd on their feet. We pull be cause we love it!! We are totally Blessed to be able to do what we do with my entire family and friends!! Thanks Dad for getting me hooked on this sport at such a young age and teaching me how to take what we have and make it work and be as competitive as we are! Looking back, you were way ahead of your time and competition when it came to making it come together on the track and Always playing within the rules. I hope some day my boys look back and feel the same way towards me that I do about you. You certainly have some extremely large shoes to fill for a man of only 5'7". Thanks for all you've done to guide us to where we are today! We could never have done it without you and your infinite wisdom. Love you pops!
This is why we pull!! Best wishes to all competitors and fans alike!
rw

Re: Have Pullers already set their own value? May 01, 2022 02:56PM
RW IH 1568
I believe that high fuel prices will most certainly limit many pullers travel radius.
Dick, I can say as a competitor there is not really 1 thing in particular that drives us to the desire to compete in tractor pulling. Certainly the camaraderie with other people with the same interests we have, definitely the family and friends aspect ranks really high, our competitive nature, doing the majority of the work on our 3 tractors is definitely rewarding, the thrill of a textbook pass is always a great feeling to know you did your homework, of course getting a win now and then. As for prize money, it is nice to get a payday once in a while and get a little jingle to help cover your travel and hooks fees is always nice, however I have been competing in tractor pulling for nearly 48 years and I have to honestly say that a paycheck is nothing more than a bonus if you are fortunate enough to collect a check at an event. Again payout is definitely not the driving force for our team but is a nice perk if you get payed. There is no way we could ever collect enough in prize money to ever even put a small dent in the amount of money spent and to recover your costs to build and compete. We feel grateful just to break even if we were fortunate enough to do so on any given night. As for 15000 fans versus 1500? Definitely we like the 15000 crowds! Nothing better than to lay one down and get the crowd on their feet. We pull be cause we love it!! We are totally Blessed to be able to do what we do with my entire family and friends!! Thanks Dad for getting me hooked on this sport at such a young age and teaching me how to take what we have and make it work and be as competitive as we are! Looking back, you were way ahead of your time and competition when it came to making it come together on the track and Always playing within the rules. I hope some day my boys look back and feel the same way towards me that I do about you. You certainly have some extremely large shoes to fill for a man of only 5'7". Thanks for all you've done to guide us to where we are today! We could never have done it without you and your infinite wisdom. Love you pops!
This is why we pull!! Best wishes to all competitors and fans alike!
rw

Well said!

Re: Have Pullers already set their own value? May 01, 2022 02:23PM
Just talked with a pulling friend of mine, he just told me that fuel was going to play a role in how much he pulls, said he was planning on staying 2hrs or less from home.Its going to play a role in how much i run this year for sure.

Re: Have Pullers already set their own value? May 02, 2022 01:59AM
We have two pullers for two reasons, first we both love driving the tractors. Second is that we feel we have better odds to be at the top of the class with two shots. I've always felt that since we are already driving the distance why not both have the fun of driving and hauling the second tractor cost virtually nothing over hauling one. Now the cost of that second ride is another issue completely I do question the sanity of that decision but we have worked hard and are very fortunate to be able to compete at this level with two tractors. Miss Tarry says that pulling at our house is a disease of epic proportions.

S'no Farmer

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,565, Posts: 229,582, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,056, Posts: 225,843.

Our newest member BadHabit2