466 Hot Farm startup help June 02, 2022 02:38PM
We’ll y’all, I’m looking to make the leap to the 466 Hot Farm class on the east coast to get myself started in pulling. I’ve been dirt track racing for years, but I’d like to give this a shot. My goal is to get to a super farm class one day, but I’d like to start local. I’ve been going to pulls, asking questions, etc, but im still looking for some direction. So here it goes:
I’d like to have a 1256 IH setup, or at least the tins.
Am I best to start with a 706 rear, and work from there?
Get a dt466 roller and work that motor up?
Where’s the best place to source parts like a trans, chassis parts, etc?
I have the ability to do a lot of my own work, but I’m going to need professional help along the way

I know there will be a lot of opinions, but im just looking for some guidance on where to start. I don’t want to buy a running field tractor to tear down and use little parts, but if that’s the best way, im all for it. I’m not against buying an already built tractor, but I really like the build process and learning the tractor as I go. I’d like to get the project started, and be set for pulling at the beginning of next season. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Re: 466 Hot Farm startup help June 02, 2022 11:54PM
You can buy one built way cheaper than you can build one. Unless it's a current top East Coast contender you'll have plenty of work to get it competitive. Work and money. I bought a nice 466 Hot Farm that needed a roll cage and some other updates a few years ago. I would say I'd have to spend at least $20,000 to make it competitive in that series.
I just saw a IH Hot farm sell at a farm auction for 17,000 and it needed major work to get it competitive. I figured around $50,000. In that case you'd be better off starting from scratch. A SF at the same sale went for $60,000 that was 3rd in NY a few years ago. I was told the updates that it needed to compete today would be over $100,000.
So look before you leap. Have deep pockets too. Good luck and have fun !

Re: 466 Hot Farm startup help June 03, 2022 12:03AM
I have a running hot farm for sale in Kentucky, lots of good stuff and negotiable on price if your serious. Lanny Highbaugh, Dixie Binder. 270-268-8986.

Re: 466 Hot Farm startup help September 07, 2022 12:34PM
Jd43, Let’s say I was to start from scratch on an IH based tractor. Would I be better off just buying a 706 rear, building that, getting the chassis components and piecing together? Or should I be starting from an actual tractor and modifying that? I really don’t want to take the 856 or 1256 off the farm for pulling unless it’s the best option. From what I see, it almost looks best to start with a 706 rear, and have a chassis company make frame rails and build up from there.

Do people generally start from the motor in the tractor? Or end up with a dt466 motor and building that? I raced sprint cars, and bought a complete car that I ended up rebuilding anyways. I’d almost like to make sure I build something nice from scratch before I buy someone else’s junk….. just a thought, but I want to make sure I’m in the right direction at least…. Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2022 12:35PM by Hayseed.

Re: 466 Hot Farm startup help September 07, 2022 12:58PM
I can't answer your IH questions. ? What organization are you going to run with ? Talk to IH pullers in that organization. I've said it before-The Hot Farm classes have gone HP wild the last few years. We ran with a NY club last year and was 5th or 6th at 3 pulls out of 20+ tractors. Not now.

Re: 466 Hot Farm startup help September 08, 2022 01:51AM
The most rewarding way is to start with a 706 rear and a dt466 out of a truck or bus (roller cam style) and build it just the way you want & to the rules of your class you choose to run. But the most economical way is to buy a proven good 1 and make a few minor changes to your liking and go straight to the track. But never forget there is no such thing as economical tractor or truck pulling.

Re: 466 Hot Farm startup help June 06, 2022 06:37AM
There is one on the For Sale page, right on this here web site.
Only about the 2nd or 3rd ad down.
Price looks decent.
And you can buy you a trailer to tote it home.
Just sayin'

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,565, Posts: 229,582, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,056, Posts: 225,843.

Our newest member BadHabit2