Confused with NTPA "float" rule June 25, 2022 01:24PM
I was watching NTPA live results ( very well done), however as just one example, I was following the live results and I saw that the float was 350', yet 5 tractors in the class went pass 350' and yet there was no pulloff ! Does the 350' float distance not really mean anything or do they just change it to 400' after more than one vehicle goes past the original setting?
Can someone please explain the NTPA float rule?

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2022 01:29PM by Dick Morgan.

Re: Confused with NTPA "float" rule June 25, 2022 02:14PM
I think you already know the answer to your question Dick. There are no more pull-offs in American National pulling anymore, like most people on this board have advocated for. The 'float" 350 may be in the rule book, but the mark changes like PPL's full pull mark...there is none! The elimination of pulloffs certainly hasn't helped the number of vehicles on the national level, nor has added excitemnt to the show. One & done is the norm now, unfortunately.

Re: Confused with NTPA "float" rule June 26, 2022 12:17AM
Groundpounder
The elimination of pulloffs certainly hasn't helped the number of vehicles on the national level, nor has added excitemnt to the show. One & done is the norm now, unfortunately.
Yeah, it was more exciting when pullers were flagged down at 300' while they were making a killer pass and then everyone spends 15 minutes waiting for him get towed back so that he could bump the sled for win.

Re: Confused with NTPA "float" rule June 26, 2022 07:05PM
One and done is a good thing.
300 feet + runs are good for the fans in my opinion. Or at least I like the 300 foot plus runs.
If you survey most supercharged or turbo charged pullers i would say that they are good with one run; too much potential for engine breakage/damage on run number 2.

Re: Confused with NTPA "float" rule June 26, 2022 10:17PM
kevinh
One and done is a good thing.
300 feet + runs are good for the fans in my opinion. Or at least I like the 300 foot plus runs.
If you survey most supercharged or turbo charged pullers i would say that they are good with one run; too much potential for engine breakage/damage on run number 2.

Kevin, the issue people have isn't one and done. Everyone understands parts availability. The problem is the one winning run could be 320' instead of 380'. It seems the sled operators and track officials feel like they have to use the entire 350' distance, which in practice means 350' is an average good run now instead of a monster pass.

Re: Confused with NTPA "float" rule June 27, 2022 01:11PM
As others have said…the problem isn’t ALL with one and done; although, at Super National events with large classes (ie. Bowling Green), it really does dampen the fan experience and excitement. 30+ vehicles and you can barely remember who’s leading makes it kind of anti-climactic at the end of the class if the track has gone away and you know the last couple have no chance. At least bring back the 3 vehicle “bump rule” for big pulls.

But don’t sell floating finish as saving equipment if you’re gonna run 370’+. How often do you see something “pop” right at the top end of a run, under the heaviest load and when the motor is hottest/most stressed? That extra 2-3 seconds of run time has to be doing damage as well. Tighten the sleds down and get back to running 300-320 instead of these circus distances.

Re: Confused with NTPA "float" rule June 25, 2022 02:25PM
It seems like they use pulloff's to fill in for a short show. Today's first session, being rain delayed, put them behind schedule, so no pulloff's.

Re: Confused with NTPA "float" rule June 25, 2022 02:45PM
I heard, for what it worth, before the 1st session at Tomah, they were told floating the finish in all classes due to everyone having a hard time getting parts, Etc and would try to keep the number of passes a competitor had to make to a minimum. Good or bad, I agree with this. Thursday and Friday, (I was there) had some great passes and the crowed really seem to like the long, fast passes as well. I was sitting @300 trackside and it was the best seat in the house!!

Re: Confused with NTPA "float" rule June 25, 2022 04:39PM
Neither Ntpa nor anyone else understands the rule because it sure never gets enforced. The only unfortunate thing about floating finishes becoming the norm is that they aren't demanding reasonable sled settings. Still set for 320-330 I don't think anyone understands how we also got 370 foisted upon us during this changeover.

Re: Confused with NTPA "float" rule June 26, 2022 12:32AM
It's really qutie simple. Been happening for many years.
The official distance of the track is 350'. Meaning, the sled will try to stop you before then.
But if you exceed that distance, keep stokin' your stove pipe. One pass & done.
(At least NTPA has a definitive line. Unlike PPL where they will change the 'magic' full pull distance, part way through the class.)
I like the format. Seen way to many so-called pulloffs that were a political ploy disaster.
And if there is a pulloff, someone needs to cough up a bunch of extra Cash!!!

Re: Confused with NTPA "float" rule June 26, 2022 01:39AM
Well the track is 300 feet, not 350, let the best of the best go more, but stop the damned tractors in the playing fireld, the extra should be for safety, not normal use, set the sled so only the elite make more than 320.

Re: Confused with NTPA "float" rule June 26, 2022 01:11PM
I’m more confused by $5 for a beer.

Re: Confused with NTPA "float" rule June 26, 2022 01:30PM
Then you can't understand or drive, fuel is 5.60 and more.

Re: Confused with NTPA "float" rule June 28, 2022 05:10AM
I'll add,it sure seems like the starting line never goes to a current distance,the finish line always goes more positive.what I mean is most all bleachers were made with a 300 ft track in mind with a good view of the finish,since we all use bg as an example and I'm a 46 yr attendee,the covered grandstands ended at pretty close to 290,we've always been in the finish line tower.now the classes can get out to 350 sometimes,why not back the starting line up so more can view the majority of the pull ?? ,dont say it cant be done they can move mountains there !!!

Give 'em an inch, they'll take a mile June 26, 2022 03:00PM
Let's see compare to past years winning unlimited distances:

2022 Leischner 370' and Eder 380'. Note several were past 350' in the first hook.

In 2021 Eder won Tomah at 321' (2nd hook rained out).

2019 Knapp 328' and Bauer 310'

2018 Bauer 333' and 340'

2017 Leischner 312' and Knapp 342'

Even allowing for hp gains and finally getting Mitas tires figured out, the question needs to be asked about can any more weight be added, faster gear, or when is the trip.

If a sled is maxed out on everything and still can't stop them, either a new sled design or imposing more limitations would be the only solutions.

However, since other classes besides unlimiteds had long distances, the logical answer isn't the sled being obsolete, it's the sled operator and track officials suffering from the pulling version of "mission creep."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2022 03:01PM by The Original Michael.

Re: Confused with NTPA "float" rule June 27, 2022 12:26AM
I asked the same question Dick, I've been going to Tomah for over 20 years and many state and region pulls in that time. I totally understand and agree with the float rule but why call it a "350 floating finish?" It's confusing for the fan. Simply call it a "floating finish."

Side note I thought Tomah did a great job again this year. You could tell in the pits that numbers were down but I didn't feel that watching the pull. I thought most classes had enough vehicles, the track was good although for Tomah I think it has been better. Camping was great as well.

I thought $5 for a beer was a bit much however.

Re: Confused with NTPA "float" rule June 27, 2022 05:30AM
Something the came up at our last event in Fremont, Mi is that with a 340' pass the tractor and sled were well beyond the grandstands and most of the fans were looking at the back of the sled on the long passes. They had the mod class set heavy I was the first hook and only went 288' but even then I was past the end of the grandstands. I remember one year at the Enderle Pulloff American Thunder went something like 370' and we could hardly see the last 70' except when he ran out of fuel we saw lots of interesting colored flames when the heads melted!

S'no Farmer

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,561, Posts: 229,571, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,055, Posts: 225,835.

Our newest member BadHabit2