Hour and 45 minutes with Joe Eder June 27, 2022 03:42PM
Thank you Joe for telling us your stories and answering all the fan's questions!

Video

Jason Schultz
Call or Text 608 604 5068
Email jason@beermoneypullingteam.com
Beer Money Pulling Team Merchandise [beermoneypullingteam.com]

Re: Thoughts on future of unlimited class after listening June 28, 2022 06:12AM
Jason, thanks for posting the interview.

Joe mentioned that Bauer was close to maxed out on weights; not sure how many quicker gears for the box he had. He also was asked about the class weight. One well known puller would prefer 8500'. Eder wouldn't mind if it were 7700/7800 or so. If the sleds are maxed out, then the longer distances may be a necessity unless the class is backed down. As a big fan of this class, that would be my option of last resort.

He also mentioned the weak point seems to be the rear ends. This has been mentioned before, but surely there is a better mousetrap with sled design, either one that will hold more weights, or can transfer the weight better, or both (some people had suggestions on this).

Personal opinion - With the extra weight of Mitas tires making it a little tougher for some vehicles to get at 8000', with these two caveats
1) the sleds could handle it or a new design built, and
2) if the rear end and other weak points could be strengthened,
I'd like to see the Unlimited class go to the 8200' weigh they ran in 1992. I doubt we would see many more engines added, but with the safety and Mitas tires, that extra 200' could be helpful. For those who don't remember, in 1992 you had Banters and Vernon Kourey with 6 engines, Knox, Walsh, Brockmann, Piper, Hileman and a host of others with 5 engines, and Gardner and Arfons with turbines. It was one of the more competitive years in the class in that more people could legitimately win than almost any other year I can think of.

Btw- The coolest thing about that interview was how he talked about re-engineering his chassis to where he can swap out a rear end in 20 minutes if needed.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2022 06:16AM by The Original Michael.

Re: Thoughts on future of unlimited class after listening June 28, 2022 07:29AM
not absolutely sure but wasn't it 9200 back then?

Re: Thoughts on future of unlimited class after listening June 28, 2022 07:47AM
plumbersnitemare
not absolutely sure but wasn't it 9200 back then?

9200 in 1990 and 91; 8200 in 92 and maybe 93. 94 was a split 7400 and 8400, then 7600, then 7900 (maybe it was also 7800 for a year), then the current 8000.

I remember Mike Holden's 4 Allison tractor in 90 and 91. He quit running unlimited in 92 when they dropped the weight by a thou.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2022 07:49AM by The Original Michael.

Re: Thoughts on future of unlimited class after listening June 28, 2022 10:42AM
I believe that with the Mitas and the increase in HP the last thing that the class needs is more weight. The sleds are already struggling to stop the class in a safe distance and increasing their weight will do nothing but make the sled issue even worse. I know everyone wants to reinvent the sled but reality is we have the sleds that we have and we need them give us a safe and exiting show.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,579, Posts: 229,610, Members: 3,320.
This forum: Topics: 37,058, Posts: 225,859.

Our newest member Fechtner Racing