NTPA Points System June 29, 2022 01:36AM
Hey internet, get ready for something crazy! Michael Eitel is actually going to complain about something NTPA related (I typically defend them relentlessly while others bash them).

I have an issue with their scoring system. As best I can tell it works like this: A competitor gets 15 points for passing tech inspection, then up to an additional 15 points depending on finishing order (1st gets 15, 2nd gets 14, 3rd gets 13, etc.) Therefore, anytime a competitor wins a session, they are awarded 30 points. Except... that's not always the case, and here is what I don't like. Bill Leischner won the Unlimited Modified Friday Night session in Tomah. He does not run for points with NTPA so therefore was awarded 0. That's fine. Makes sense. Billy Biers came in 2nd. Billy was however awarded the full 30 points for coming in 1st place of "NTPA" competitors. Boooo! I don't like that. He got second! If you want the full 30 points, in my opinion, you should have to beat the whole field. Earn a true first place. Otherwise you are only ever competing against a few other individuals running for points. I don't think NTPA should award a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th "NTPA" spot every night. I think if non NTPA guys beat them out, just award the natural finishing order. Would make for a much more interesting and natural points race in my opinion.

Re: NTPA Points System June 29, 2022 02:16AM
I've thought about this exact thing with our points system for our association. It can/could confuse somebody who is looking at the points standings and see what looks like a first place finish due to them receiving the maximum points for a win, when in reality that competitor could have finished 2nd or even 3rd..

Not sure what the correct answer is. Better add another bullet point for the yearly rules meeting..

---

Re: NTPA Points System June 29, 2022 02:41AM
If you're not a paying member to that level of pulling, why should you be determining the points for that level? At each level, people pay to run for that levels points as a group. It is in my opinion the fairest way to the pullers that pay for their points to give out points as they currently are.

Just my opinion

Re: NTPA Points System June 29, 2022 02:56AM
Dirtslinger didn't register for points. War wagon did. As a possibility. Enhanced end of season points program requires GNPC registration/license, I do believe.

Re: NTPA Points System June 29, 2022 03:15AM
Just do away with points,put money into the purse

Re: NTPA Points System June 29, 2022 04:59AM
An advantage to this system, looking at it from afar, is that it prevents those per hook entries from affecting points races between competitors who run a full schedule. This is particularly important when a points race is decided at a big event like Bowling Green that draws in pullers who don't normally follow the complete circuit. One, or a combination of multiple pullers, who place between a pair of pullers who entered the event atop the points race, can potentially alter the final standings significantly in a matter of two hooks.

In the end it's a mechanism to reward pullers who have actively followed the entire circuit.

Re: NTPA Points System June 29, 2022 05:10AM
Bryan Lively
An advantage to this system, looking at it from afar, is that it prevents those per hook entries from affecting points races between competitors who run a full schedule. This is particularly important when a points race is decided at a big event like Bowling Green that draws in pullers who don't normally follow the complete circuit. One, or a combination of multiple pullers, who place between a pair of pullers who entered the event atop the points race, can potentially alter the final standings significantly in a matter of two hooks.

In the end it's a mechanism to reward pullers who have actively followed the entire circuit.

Seems like the points system proposed by Michael would be the best. Your argument is totally correct but a valid reason why BG should be a seperate pull unassociated with PPL or NTPA. There is no larger event that draws pullers from as many different pulling associations as BG. NFMS is very similar but their numbers are lower for obvious reasons.

Re: NTPA Points System June 30, 2022 01:15AM
Bryan Lively

To reply to this, that is something as a fan I would really enjoy! I love the idea of someone playing spoiler. Perhaps a nomad puller, who only shows at big purse pulls, or a regional puller who sneaks up and beats some big dogs. If you want first place points, finish first! A grand national puller hypothetically should always have an advantage on a state level puller. If the Cardinals and Brewers are within a game of each other with 3 games left in the season, the Pittsburgh Pirates could still affect the points race, which as sports fan, we love!

I also thought it worked this way (and still think it should)- if you hook at ANY point at the grand national level you should automatically be entered into the points race. If 75 two wheel drive trucks hook at Bowling Green, then I would love to see a points race that finished with 75 pullers. Makes the sport look better too. Big numbers on a points standing page look better than small ones.

Re: NTPA Points System June 29, 2022 05:26AM
This type of point system is used throughout many different types of competition, it works for the NTPA and the pullers.
I took 5th in the mod class at BG but I ran under a regional license, my placing shouldn't effect the GN points race.
It's similar to showing cattle, they will often place the class in a line up 1st thru however many. Then the Juniors will step forward and they will give ribbons and placings from 1st to however many of those that step forward. The points go to those registered in that level. Same as when Bob would take his GN licensed tractors and pull at regional pulls when he could make it, he shouldn't effect their points race.
If the pullers have an issue with it or the board it can be brought up and voted on at the meeting they have every year.

Re: NTPA Points System June 29, 2022 06:22AM
The first thing to do would be to do an analysis to see if it would have any actual impact on year end points. Take a look at previous years points races and "recalculate" points based on a different system. Do it for multiple years in all classes and see what the outcomes would have been. You might find out that it would make some changes... or you might find out that its completely moot and changing the points system doesn't change year end results much at all. This is one of those times where we can easily do analysis if somebody wants to take the time.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: NTPA Points System June 29, 2022 06:29AM
That would not bring forward a valid point either way because of the variables involved year to year. There just too much that can change such as placings, class numbers, breakage, poor runs to get a validated decision.

Once again my opinion

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,561, Posts: 229,571, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,055, Posts: 225,835.

Our newest member BadHabit2