Antique speed limit August 03, 2022 02:05PM
This may have been answered before but I can’t find any answers thought I would ask on here. Any help would be much appreciated. In a speed limit class is there a calculated percentage or rule of thumb to to pick a gear ratio faster than the speed limit to allow you to throttle up as wheel slippage increases. For example at full throttle and zero wheel slippage you would be 25% faster than the target speed limit or something to that effect.

Re: Antique speed limit August 03, 2022 03:10PM
Lots of variables. Track conditions, how the sled applies load, How quickly the governor responds, can the driver balance too much response via peripheral vision and/or seat of the pants feel and apply both brakes... Long way of saying I doubt it. That's what makes these classes so awesome. See who can drive.

CP

Re: Antique speed limit August 03, 2022 07:39PM
you need power, rpms to do that

Re: Antique speed limit August 04, 2022 02:17AM
The most important amount of horsepower in paced/speed limit pulling is the amount of horsepower between ears of the driver. At a minimum, having the realization to keep a notepad of setups for every you encounter so you'll have a baseline for each situation...to remember what works and what doesn't. Know your tractor and what it can and cannot do, and seat time is the only way to determine that and keeping records. Data becomes your friend.

I watch pulls but I also watch who is "stalking" the track. Those pullers are watching for changes, and they react accordingly, for balance, tire pressure, and gear used. Those guys are easy to find, they're consistently in the top five anywhere they go. So, as Charles said, lots of variables, but watch and learn. There are pullers putting on clinics every weekend across the country.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,615, Posts: 229,671, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,064, Posts: 225,890.

Our newest member JD_8520