Two words. November 21, 2022 11:47AM
Be Patient.

Re: Two words. November 21, 2022 12:29PM
Bryan, I couldn't agree more. Time to see how this plays out. I believe that both John and Kristi are the right people in the right place to make this work. There contacts with previous sponsors and great relationships with pullers is a tremendous plus. It's time to kick back enjoy some football and turkey and be thankful for this great nation that gives us a chance to enjoy the sport we all love.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: Two words. November 21, 2022 01:28PM
Amen to both of these posts!!!

Dandy Don Meredith November 22, 2022 01:24AM
Put it best. Turn out the lights, the party's over. They say that all good things must end.

Re: Dandy Don Meredith November 22, 2022 03:44AM
OG
Put it best. Turn out the lights, the party's over. They say that all good things must end.

Approaching this situation with patience and more specifically as a challenge/opportunity/re-organization is FAR more productive than as a closed door never to be opened again.

Our instant-gratification, gotta-have-answers-right-now world has conditioned many of us to demand answers immediately when the RIGHT answers demand time and critical thinking.

In turbulent times in the history of the sport, in the Eighties specifically, those answers developed over weeks, even months to keep the sport alive. We are effectively 96ish hours removed from a public announcement of a situation that has been under the radar for weeks now and to expect all the i's to be dotted and t's to be crossed is foolish.

Be. Patient.

Re: Dandy Don Meredith November 22, 2022 05:47AM
I can only imagine how "PATIENT" everyone on here would be if it was the NTPA in this situation! All they get is bashed constantly!

I don't need no stinking patience... November 23, 2022 02:29AM
Bryan Lively

Approaching this situation with patience and more specifically as a challenge/opportunity/re-organization is FAR more productive than as a closed door never to be opened again.

Our instant-gratification, gotta-have-answers-right-now world has conditioned many of us to demand answers immediately when the RIGHT answers demand time and critical thinking.

In turbulent times in the history of the sport, in the Eighties specifically, those answers developed over weeks, even months to keep the sport alive. We are effectively 96ish hours removed from a public announcement of a situation that has been under the radar for weeks now and to expect all the i's to be dotted and t's to be crossed is foolish.

Be. Patient.

Patience? The PPL has been put out of it's misery. It couldn't stand alone without serious subsidization. Sure someone may pay a few dollars for the name and run some sort of series with payouts at 50% or less of what they once were but it's no longer ever gonna be a quasi professional level of National tractor pulling. The NTPA will continue to run its "Grand National" level for people who seek out that kind of hobby. Probably will never generate enough money to pay for transportation costs. The writing is on the wall, pulling is headed to a regional/state/local level of competition. The demographics of the people who follow the sport can only support that.

Re: I don't need no stinking patience... November 23, 2022 04:41PM
GN circuit is alive and well my friend. Have you been to Chapel Hill, Ft. Recovery, BG, Rockwell, Wellington, and seen the crowds? I am only speaking of pulls I attended this year, but there were good crowds. I spoke to people at Chapel Hill that came from Florida, Mississippi, Oklahoma, and Texas just to see the pull. So I'm not sure what you're referring to!

Re: I don't need no stinking patience... November 24, 2022 12:59AM
Fan 2
GN circuit is alive and well my friend. Have you been to Chapel Hill, Ft. Recovery, BG, Rockwell, Wellington, and seen the crowds? I am only speaking of pulls I attended this year, but there were good crowds. I spoke to people at Chapel Hill that came from Florida, Mississippi, Oklahoma, and Texas just to see the pull. So I'm not sure what you're referring to!

They are great events and well attended for tractor pulling. What I am referring to is a national circuit that is able to pay out enough in purse and end of season money to those that participate to where they can at least recoup their travel expenses. (fuel, depreciation, and interest). As we have seen, as those costs rise the quantity of participants willing to travel, shrinks. PPL was subsidized by Lucas Oil. For the most part the NTPA is subsidized by the competitors (common in hobby sports). There just isn't enough sponsorship, tv rights, and attendance to pay the costs associated with it. At the lower levels of the sports, as discussed in several threads, the pullers even have to help pay to put on the event by paying for their family members to gain attendance.

Re: I don't need no stinking patience... November 25, 2022 11:16AM
So if "at the lower levels of the sports, as discussed in several threads, the pullers even have to help pay to put on the event by paying for their family members to gain attendance" is the case, how does "The writing is on the wall, pulling is headed to a regional/state/local level of competition. The demographics of the people who follow the sport can only support that" make any sense?

Re: I don't need no stinking patience... November 26, 2022 01:14AM
Fan 2
So if "at the lower levels of the sports, as discussed in several threads, the pullers even have to help pay to put on the event by paying for their family members to gain attendance" is the case, how does "The writing is on the wall, pulling is headed to a regional/state/local level of competition. The demographics of the people who follow the sport can only support that" make any sense?

Travel related costs as a percentage of the purse have grown significantly. 25 years ago it was easier to travel the country for a $10k/class purse when diesel was <$1.50 and the rig to haul it cost <$100k. As those cost have escalated the purses have not grown much at all. Pulling doesn't have the demographics to support a large tv audience and crowds of 50K+ to help pay the way. So as costs rise it will keep both pullers and fans closer to home. Sure they will travel to certain larger events but getting more than 3-5 in a class to travel a points circuit is likely a thing of the past. If it cost a puller $1600 (fuel, interest, depreciation) to travel to a GN event 400 miles away to pull for $1100 to win. Staying within 100 miles and pulling for $400 to win is suddenly the better option.

Re: I don't need no stinking patience... November 27, 2022 01:28PM
You do understand there is a percentage of pullers to whom the purse means very little don't you? Don't know any motor sport where the purse justifies the investment.

Re: Two words. November 22, 2022 01:54AM
I agree with Brian and Dick, be patient. This reminds me of trying to speculate who is the next head coach for Nebraska football. It will take a little time, we will find out. Darin

Re: Two words. November 23, 2022 05:25AM
I can’t help but think if PPL did or does have a plan established for some sort of buy out why wouldn’t they have waited until that was finalized before making this announcement and causing all this concern and confusion? It would have just been a smooth transition and just carried on as business as usual, so if there really is a plan why the hasty announcement?

Re: Two words. November 23, 2022 08:26AM
Team one
I can’t help but think if PPL did or does have a plan established for some sort of buy out why wouldn’t they have waited until that was finalized before making this announcement and causing all this concern and confusion? It would have just been a smooth transition and just carried on as business as usual, so if there really is a plan why the hasty announcement?

There is a plan.
It is already in motion.
The details aren't for us mear mortals to know at this point.
We know not the day, we know not the time.
Maybe we will know the details by the time the fat man drops down the chimney with his satchel of presents.
Or not.

Re: Two words.the truth November 23, 2022 08:51AM
I heard now that Vaughn B is on the WPI board he will buy PPL and merge it into the NTPA. They will take what they want and close the rest.

Re: Two words.the truth November 23, 2022 10:19AM
JMO but if NTPA and PPL merge after this. Ntpa would fare well to do away with the 650 inch limit in the modified 4wd trucks. that would open the door and let all the existing ppl trucks and could get some outlaw 4wds as well.

Re: Two words.the truth November 27, 2022 07:41AM
Thats a great idea. Lets push out all the guys that built for ntpa's rules and make them upgrade or quit. Thats part of the problem with our sport. We keep changing rules and have to go bigger from whats already established and push out guys that cant keep up or afford it. Im pretty sure ntpa has more trucks than ppl from the pulls i went to anyway. Thats why we have so many different classes, clubs, over saturation, and low numbers in certian classes.

I agree with the comment above all the ntpa haters here, ntpa doesn't rely on one main sponsor to survive and keeps going while others struggle. Ppl and outlaws got there classes from ntpa and modified the rules to fit them. Weather they thought they were making them better, trying to push guys out, or just had more money to spend they limited who can pull with them and where they can pull. Doesn't make sense to me and i see it in every club big or small.

For the guys that dont think its that big of a difference the foolish farmer pulled ppl at mackville and finished towards the back of the pack. He pulled the next weekend in tomah and won.

Re: Two words.the truth November 27, 2022 11:31AM
Let's evaluate.

Ntpa - 53 years
Outlaws-40 years
Ppl - 17 years

There are a lot of other great organizations out there who existed a long time too. They deserve equal recognition.

If you define "national" as being representative or common to the whole nation there is not currently and don't think there ever has been a single organization that meets that.

With that in mind the word national in ntpa is just a name not a definition.

Do I think the original ntpa had good intentions? Yes. Where they and others have missed the mark is trying to combine the goal of the defining specifications under the same organization as the sanctioning or holding pulling events. The money gets in the way of the specifications.
Look at the definitions of "rule" and "specification".
You might determine that at least some rules belong to the individual association. Specifications or Standards in most cases. fall under a independent organization that includes all of the stakeholders not just a few that can not be influenced by money.

All that being said does one size fit all? Absolutely not.

Re: Two words.the truth November 30, 2022 10:23AM
Anybody that knows anything about truck pulling knows that the biggest motor isn't gonna win every weekend. If you cant get the hp to the ground the hp is useless. Ive seen the 650 inch trucks hang with the big mountain motor trucks. It all depends on track conditions,tire pressure, how you work the clutch, etc. I said what i said about making the rule the same if NTPA and PPL merge is just to help truck count. If they leave it the same at 650, that's their deal. Youll probably see a bunch go toward the Outlaws. I think itd be something to bring up in the meeting and see what happens.

Re: Two words.the truth November 30, 2022 10:34AM
Maybe try 650 max on hemi and open on the rest

Re: Two words.the truth November 30, 2022 12:26PM
Good luck with that if anything changes it would be open cubes for fwd but doubtful it happens anytime soon. And some of your trucks that run ppl aren’t going to drive 9+ hours week in and week out for outlaw hooks.

Re: Two words.the truth December 01, 2022 02:12AM
Why would they change just for you Illinois Thunder. It doesn’t take that much to de cube your engine

Re: Two words.the truth December 01, 2022 02:16AM
My bad time to play

Re: Two words.the truth December 01, 2022 05:48AM
We’re not over cubic inch limits im just thinking for the people I’ve competed with and got to know over the years. And also it’s way more expensive than you think if you think it doesn’t take too much then I’d like to see you do it.

Re: Two words.the truth December 01, 2022 02:04PM
Mod fwd puller
We’re not over cubic inch limits im just thinking for the people I’ve competed with and got to know over the years. And also it’s way more expensive than you think if you think it doesn’t take too much then I’d like to see you do it.

Well, don't take what he said to heart. I really don't have much respect for some one that doesn't have a registered name when they make a post.

Re: Two words.the truth December 04, 2022 09:28PM
Being sure the list is pretty short of people that care what your opinion is.

Re: Two words.the truth December 11, 2022 04:04PM
Just Saying
Being sure the list is pretty short of people that care what your opinion is.

And that's ok with me.

Re: Two words.the truth December 12, 2022 02:48AM
Respect goes both ways, - for someone to say there is no respect for non registered is much worse than no name. just saying, too much crap and self centered to ever have a meaningful chat. "R - E - S - P - E - C - T " ARETHA SAID IT BEST.

Re: Two words.the truth January 08, 2023 01:51AM
Wasn't Don Meredith a professional football player??

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,563, Posts: 229,575, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,055, Posts: 225,837.

Our newest member BadHabit2