Building a theory (PPL discontinuation) November 22, 2022 01:35AM
Just sittin' here, in my office chair, keyboard pulling, mulling over the events that have transpired over the past few days, and developing a theory. Not fact. Just having fun.

THERE IS NOT ONE SHRED OF FACT IN THIS!!! THIS IS JUST BLEACHER TALK, AND HAVING FUN.

MARCH: MAC Trailer Winter Nationals in Louisville, KY. This is a PPL pull. They ran the track crew, and posted the results on their website. The major sponsor here is MAC Trailers. "MAC Daddy" and "MAC Nasty" hook here. This is the ONLY time they hook PPL for the 2022 season. One can speculate that MAC trailers and PPL are looking to interact in some capacity or another (sponsorship/ business related).

JUNE: Beer Money Pulling launches a new YouTube series called "This is How We Roll" where they highlight haulers and toters from across all 3 major sanctions. Episode 2 features Tate and Julia Ray and the MAC Daddy and MAC Nasty tractors and toters. As the camera pans into the living area of a trailer, who do we see? The executive director of operations of one major league and the president/ owner of a major company having a conversation. (NTPA and MAC Trailers). This could be beyond coincidental and mean absolutely nothing. Maybe one guy needed to borrow some eggs from the other. But hey, keyboard speculating is fun.

JULY: "The World Series of Pulling" debuts in Norwalk, Ohio at the Summit Motorsports Park as a staple event of the PPL Champions' Tour. Their first ever 5 session event. This is the second event this season that PPL has paired with some sort of Ag/ Automotive/ Motorsports major brand or sponsor- Summit Racing. Well, I hate to say it, but if you know, you know. This event struggled. Rain. Track building. Lions Super Pull of the South. The event did not complete all 5 sessions.

NOVEMBER: Lucas Oil Pro Pulling League to be Discontinued in 2023- INDIANAPOLIS (Nov. 21, 2022) – Lucas Oil Products has decided to discontinue its ownership and operation of the Lucas Oil Pro Pulling League following the conclusion of the 2022 season.

Theories: PPL had two major events with major companies this year. MAC Trailers and Summit Racing. Was PPL looking for something, such as sponsorships, co-owners, shopping out their product? IF they were looking for something from Summit, it looks like their big pitch theRE was a bit of a miss. Nothing personal, but IF they were looking to get Summit more on board in some fashion, I don't think it worked. All the same questions with MAC Trailers? Maybe if that pull in Norwalk is a major success, we see the 2023 Summit Racing/ Lucas Oil Pro Pulling League. Who knows?

It has been rumored that MAC Trailers is among those being tossed around to buy PPL. Ok, I think there is evidence there to at least consider that. Let's just go ahead and run with that. Let's say they do. What becomes of it? Those guys only hooked once with PPL and it was a non-points hook. They ran full schedule with NTPA, finishing very well. They are based in Ohio, same state as NTPA's headquarters. IF MAC Trailers purchases PPL do they run that league independent? OR do they merge it over to the league they have shown allegiance to for their careers?

Re: Building a theory (PPL discontinuation) November 22, 2022 01:48AM
I’ve thought about all those scenarios,just as you have

Re: Building a theory (PPL discontinuation) November 22, 2022 02:20AM
Here's the only "theory" necessary. Lucas Oil has been subsidizing the crap out of PPL pulling in the hopes that it would take off as mass market sport. The value of the League would grow and it would be a good marketing tool for his business. It didn't so he is washing his hands of it. The odds someone else picks this up and tries to run with it on a national level is quite slim. It won't turn a profit on it's own and is only viewed by a small niche. No one is going to "buy" it as a stand alone business, it can't earn a return on capital. Sure you could find another Lucas who is loaded and might come along, take it over, and continue subsidizing the sport they participate in. Why though? Pulling is a local/regional sport with the ability to finance only a handful of stand alone events. It's county fair entertainment for the most part.

Re: Building a theory (PPL discontinuation) November 22, 2022 02:24AM
Another thought that crossed my mind; does the Boyd's getting out of pulling prior to 2022 have any connection? The announcement of the Boyds leaving pulling seemed as abrupt as the news we've received in the last 24 hours. Also, what does this mean for individual teams sponsored by Lucas such as the Longs? Like Michael, I am speculating and the Boyds leaving pulling when they did could amount to no more than a hill of beans in regards to the PPL announcement.

Re: Building a theory (PPL discontinuation) November 22, 2022 02:58AM
All Over thinking!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,576, Posts: 229,605, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,058, Posts: 225,857.

Our newest member BadHabit2