Give Thanks PPL November 23, 2022 08:50AM
I say we give thanks to Lucas oil for 17 years of awesome support. They stepped in and gave us great events and support for member states. Whatever happens pulling will continue. Thank them instead of freaking out. Thank you Lucas oil for your years

Re: Give Thanks PPL November 23, 2022 10:45AM
Well said. They put money into the sport for years and their involvement made a huge impact on the professionalism that we see in the sport now days. I'm thankful that they helped to raise the bar. I also know that competition has been difficult for the NTPA, but PPL made the NTPA better (and vice versa).

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Give Thanks PPL November 23, 2022 11:05AM
Pulling will continue with or without them. This is not the end !!!. They brought a lot to the table and helped the sport grow. People forget that. I personally thank them for 17 years invested

Re: Give Thanks PPL November 23, 2022 11:13AM
Agreed !

Re: Give Thanks PPL November 23, 2022 11:55AM
Interestingly my wife Tarry's cousin ran an off road series for Lucas Oil that would have been very similar to a state or regional circuit in our pulling world. His roll was very similar to what Jon and Kristy do for PPL. That circuit was closed down about three years ago, it didn't go away but it did become smaller in both the number of events and payout I believe. Tarry's cousin is still running it but I'm not sure if some people stepped in or if he's doing it himself, the point being that it survived but just in a different format.

S'no Farmer

Re: Give Thanks PPL November 23, 2022 12:02PM
It will be different just like years ago things change maybe for the better maybe not. It will definitely carry on. Time will tell

Re: Give Thanks PPL November 23, 2022 08:55PM
I have mixed thoughts. PPL definitely raised the bar on Payout and Sponsorship's. I will agree with Jake, PPL did push NTPA to do better. When PPL started paying Big Purses and Points Money, the Competitors began to increase the Performance of their Pulling Equipment to keep up and it came at a cost. The evolution of Tractor Pulling accelerated at a rapid pace in the last 17 years. The cost has over tripled to build a Competitive Pulling vehicle. The equipment to transport the Pulling Equipment is over the top. It would have happened with or without PPL, but they may have speeded the process up. Pulling is still very much alive and will be in the future. Both NTPA and PPL have many things to address for the positive future of Pulling. We just need the right group of people to pickup the torch and move forward.

Re: Give Thanks PPL November 24, 2022 01:29AM
We should thank Lucas Oil for trying. What they attempted made pulling fun to watch. They tried to create a professional level of pulling that could run on sponsorship dollars in the hopes that attendance and viewership would follow. They attempted this to make money. It just didn't work financially.

Re: Give Thanks PPL November 24, 2022 02:02AM
Hard to judge about the financial side of PPL. How do you quantify the advertising value for their products. Their business models are very different with their approach to the sport.

Re: Give Thanks PPL November 24, 2022 02:18AM
Dick Morgan
Hard to judge about the financial side of PPL. How do you quantify the advertising value for their products. Their business models are very different with their approach to the sport.

Hard to judge?? They shut it down. Endeavors generating returns above the cost of capital don't cease.

Re: Give Thanks PPL November 24, 2022 02:33AM
Well William, there are a lot of other factors involved in the decision making process.
A LARGE divorce settlement may have played a factor.
As has been stated, the value of the advertising for the sponsorships, and the ownership of MAV, has Lucas in a different marketing model than any other pulling organization on the planet.
No doubt pulling was making money for Lucas.

Re: Give Thanks PPL November 24, 2022 03:15AM
LOL. If it were making money they would have done 1 of 2 things:

-Kept right on running it because as you claim "No doubt pulling was making money for Lucas".
-Sold the operation to another group prior to the recent press release. (The value of the entity is less now than it was before the abrupt shutdown) for a significant sum.

Neither of those 2 things occurred and a rational person would conclude: The returns just weren't there and it was time to be done with the enterprise. No buyer stepped up at a price that was greater than the cost of just shutting it down. If such a buyer existed, they would have not allowed it to have come to this. Now I would concede that a buyer may still purchase the name and some semblance of an organization but it will be a shadow of its former self, and it will be for a fairly small sum.

Re: Give Thanks PPL November 24, 2022 03:31AM
Massasoit
LOL. If it were making money they would have done 1 of 2 things:

-Kept right on running it because as you claim "No doubt pulling was making money for Lucas".
-Sold the operation to another group prior to the recent press release. (The value of the entity is less now than it was before the abrupt shutdown) for a significant sum.

Neither of those 2 things occurred and a rational person would conclude: The returns just weren't there and it was time to be done with the enterprise. No buyer stepped up at a price that was greater than the cost of just shutting it down. If such a buyer existed, they would have not allowed it to have come to this. Now I would concede that a buyer may still purchase the name and some semblance of an organization but it will be a shadow of its former self, and it will be for a fairly small sum.

When the liability exceeds the ability to maintain assets due to litigation factors your "1 of 2 things" could be incorrect.....also a rational person wouldn't assume they know the reason for this decision unless they are privy to all factors.

Re: Give Thanks PPL November 24, 2022 03:48AM
Even in the event of litigation you don't set income producing assets on fire. You do however, eliminate cash drains from the balance sheet to keep from losing more assets. Sure we love tractor pulling and can delude ourselves into thinking that the PPL was a profitable enterprise. More likely it wasn't.

Re: Give Thanks PPL November 24, 2022 04:08AM
Osemequin
Even in the event of litigation you don't set income producing assets on fire. You do however, eliminate cash drains from the balance sheet to keep from losing more assets. Sure we love tractor pulling and can delude ourselves into thinking that the PPL was a profitable enterprise. More likely it wasn't.

You think it took 16 years for an accountant in Cailfornia to figure out it was a loser? Eye Rolling

Re: Give Thanks PPL November 24, 2022 04:14AM
In today's sue crazy world liability is a huge issue. Any company has as one of their primary issues is the protection of their name. I'm sure that Lucas did not run out of money, rather a refocus of their assets.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: Give Thanks PPL November 24, 2022 05:25AM
Google is your friend on Lucas Oil and Cali.

Patience is a better friend.

CP

Re: Give Thanks PPL November 24, 2022 05:36AM
Maybe they wanted to get out before a wheel went flying into the stands.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,576, Posts: 229,605, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,058, Posts: 225,857.

Our newest member BadHabit2