What was the evolution of the PS class? April 03, 2023 09:36AM
From the the first PS to present day's version what has been the turbo size increase? And for clarification what are the PPL and NTPA present day rules?

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2023 11:21AM by John Murray.

Re: What was the evolution of the PS class? April 03, 2023 11:22AM
Dick, I believe you were looking for the word “evolution” instead of “evaluation” — I have edited accordingly (I hope you don’t mind).

Hopefully someone will chime in soon with some information.

John Murray
Two-time Pedal Pull World Champion

Let's Go Pulling, covering the sport of pulling in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama.
Watch LGP on YouTube
Like LGP on Facebook

Re: What was the evolution of the PS class? April 03, 2023 01:19PM
Most of them started out running T-08's and then moved to TA18-95's pretty quickly.

Then the changing of wheels and custom jobs came into play.

I always heard Tractors such as The Tasmanian Devil ran a Hyper " box charger" ..... it was in a box so you could not see it.

Re: What was the evolution of the PS class? April 03, 2023 11:03PM
What size were those turbos

Re: What was the evolution of the PS class? April 04, 2023 01:30AM
T18A95 should be 4.1 out the exducer, 3.9 in the inducer. Currently, NTPA limits exducer at 6.0, PPL is open (not sure how big they are over there right now), both are open on inducer and over 6.4s are coming or may be here already.

CP

Re: What was the evolution of the PS class? April 04, 2023 02:23AM
I don't know much about turbo sizes but I do remember a little bit about when the class got started. Someone with more knowledge feel free to correct me. There was a father and son team in Ohio that ran two SS 806 Farmall's named Dale and ???? Kohl, they wanted the NTPA to have a class that was more affordable and pushed for a single charger class. The PS class was created as well as the struggle to create less expensive single turbo classes, that spiral continues 50 years later hence the 5.0 Pro, Limited Pro, Lt Pro, SF, Pro Farm, Hot Farm and the list goes on. Honestly with as many tractors as there are in these classes I'm not sure it's a bad think to have a lot of classes.

Most of my memories of the start of Pro Stock comes from being a fan in the stands listening to the announcers of the day not to mention 50 years ago so my facts could be a little fuzzy!!! I'm pretty sure I remember watching the Kohls run in SS then later in PS.

S'no Farmer

Re: What was the evolution of the PS class? April 04, 2023 02:52AM
Gary. They still have them in the barn. One made it out for a Legends hook at Monroe, MI a handful of years back.

CP

Re: What was the evolution of the PS class? April 04, 2023 03:03AM
In Indiana, HSTPA ran what they called a "stock" class in the mid 1970s that was a forerunner of pro stock. The class ran at maybe 9000 lbs, single charger, definitely much more than stock.

Re: What was the evolution of the PS class? April 04, 2023 03:30AM
I remember when a couple 6030 think, came to ny and ran against the semi super stocks. I think boxlers had a semi super stock

Re: What was the evolution of the PS class? April 04, 2023 06:24AM
S'no Farmer
, they wanted the NTPA to have a class that was more affordable and pushed for a single charger class. The PS class was created as well as the struggle to create less expensive single turbo classes, that spiral continues 50 years later hence the 5.0 Pro, Limited Pro, Lt Pro, SF, Pro Farm, Hot Farm and the list goes on. Honestly with as many tractors as there are in these classes I'm not sure it's a bad think to have a lot of classes.

Most of my memories of the start of Pro Stock comes from being a fan in the stands listening to the announcers of the day not to mention 50 years ago so my facts could be a little fuzzy!!! I'm pretty sure I remember watching the Kohls run in SS then later in PS.

S'no Farmer

You are pretty much right on.

I pulled in the class back at its beginning

I remember Harold Wilson (AC Sledhandler SSD) saying back then that the best way to make folks spend more money is to add rules/restrictions to a class. I'd say that list of classes all trying to make it more "affordable" proves him correct.

The class also changed SSD......I remember Marvin Bobb saying one time that the SS boys were going to have to learn to make some real horsepower and not just rely on more fuel and air.....aftermarket heads ....manifolds... bigger pumps, etc. tells me he was also correct

Some of the names back then like Don Masterson, Tom Longenberger, Bill Voreis, Dale Lowe, Carl Smith (1206 then), and many more were all there in the beginning

I'd like to add, that Kohls helped get the class started, but I remember the Linder brothers as being some of the most staunch supporters of the class there in Ohio.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2023 07:02AM by Mark (EC,IN).

Re: What was the evolution of the PS class? April 04, 2023 03:28AM
North Carolina had "stock" classes from the beginning in 72 up through the mid 80's when a variation of Pro Stock was adopted. The stock classes always ran 5,7,9,12, & even 14 & 16 for a few years, and were always limited to a single charger with nothing more than an A pump, or whatever came factory on the tractor. There were some stocks that ran 30.5 tires (uncut) & I believe you could run the M&W twin kit on an IH 1468. When they began the "pro stock" class with NCTPA I think they ran 10 & 12 like everywhere else but kept the A pump rule & 24.5 tires. Pro stock actually died out in the early-mid 90's in the Carolinas & left us with only 75 & 95 SS for years until SF was introduced in the early 2000's.

Re: What was the evolution of the PS class? April 04, 2023 08:25AM
I still have one of the first three hyper box’s that he put on and it was not to hide the turbo but to hide the plumbing

Re: What was the evolution of the PS class? April 04, 2023 09:40AM
If I could wave a magic wand and make one permanent rule change for single charger classes, it would be any tractor could run the fuel that it ran from the factory. This would be from hot farm up through pro stock.
I'm not sure when the diesel only rule came into being, but am under the impression Cespedes has a grandfather clause if he runs NTPA.

Related to the topic, Don Nolan's Moline was a great addition to the class for the first few years. He won several pulls just like Colberg did in Super Farm a couple decades later. I'd live to see a Limited Pro G-1000 (with Moline engine; not a trans tractor in PS running yellow sheet metal with a green engine), or other LP/Propane or gasoline tractor if someone wanted to try something different.

Re: What was the evolution of the PS class? April 04, 2023 09:50AM
Puller
I still have one of the first three hyper box’s that he put on and it was not to hide the turbo but to hide the plumbing

Just curious, would Jerry be upset, if forty years later you revealed what was so secretive about the plumbing?

Re: What was the evolution of the PS class? April 04, 2023 10:23AM
There was single charger classes across the country especially in oh,Indiana and Illinois in the late 1970s. It was not a national class at that time. I believe 1979 NFMS added the class where they could all come together and compete. Darryl Folz's ( driver team Masterson) father won that very first ps class at Louisville. Dale kohl at that time was a competitor and a blueshirt. I also think ( not 100% sure) he was on the ntpa board at that time. Dale campaigned endlessly for the class to become a nationally recognized class and recruited ps pullers from across the country to come to BG. In 1980 BG had the ps for the first time thanks to Dale! 1981 the ohio state fair added the class. Linder brother didn't build their tractor and start pulling till 1980 after they bought the tractor from a barn fire. One of the Linder Brothers worked Kenny and mike Smith at their jd dealership and smith's helped in the build. There was some very lean years in the early 80s because ntpa didn't do due diligence in supporting or booking the class. I specifically remember watching a Ntpa tech official run around in the line up with a yard stick smacking hoods on the ps class telling them guys to "get to the sled and hurry up the fans arnt here to see your class"! The ps class was treated like a stepchild. Luckily that is long past us and the PS class persevered and is giving us one helluva show today!!

Re: What was the evolution of the PS class? April 04, 2023 11:44AM
Dale Kohl was a driving force in organizing the prostock class. He and son Gary ran 2 very successful super stock 856's before building and campaigning his first pro. He had a wonderful gift of persuasion and genuinely enjoyed tractor pulling. He was a mentor to some of us younger pullers . He would be amazed how much things have changed!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,580, Posts: 229,613, Members: 3,320.
This forum: Topics: 37,058, Posts: 225,861.

Our newest member Fechtner Racing