diesel head gasket October 28, 2009 09:25AM
Where can I get a good head gasket for a sbjd turboed making around 40 psi of boost? Wanting to install a better head gasket than stock while head is off but dont want to pull pistons to have fire rings cut yet. Is copper the only way to go or are others made that are just as strong? It seems copper gaskets are high maintenance and like to leak water into cylinders.
Thanks

Re: diesel head gasket October 28, 2009 01:02PM
copper is probably your best bet.. we usualy spray copper spray paint on the gasket to help it seal the water and have had no problems with our copper gasket runnin 55 pounds of boost

Re: diesel head gasket October 28, 2009 01:24PM
you could anneal it before you clamp it in , simply blacken it with a pure acetylene flame, then burn the carbon off with a neutral flame, let it cool on it's own ,will soften it enough to better seal the water jacket. just an idea that might help you

Re: diesel head gasket October 28, 2009 01:27PM
Who made your gasket? How thick was the gasket itself? How about the fire rings? Thanks

Re: diesel head gasket October 28, 2009 01:25PM
take a stock head gasket and spray paint it when it is tackey install. will suck to scrape off when you take head off in future. i promise it will hold 40 psi boost we did. good luck. it dosent matter if it is green or red paint it will work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2009 01:27PM by pkl4450.

Re: diesel head gasket October 28, 2009 04:26PM
We have run a copper gasket for 6-7 years and it works great. We have had it apart, for other reasons, a couple of time. We use copper sealant and plenty of it and have had no trouble. We ran 64-65 lbs of boost and never saw any issues.

Re: diesel head gasket October 29, 2009 08:43AM
496jd and deere puller9, where are you guys buying your copper gaskets from? How thick are you getting them? How thick is fire ring?

Thanks

Re: diesel head gasket October 30, 2009 02:30AM
Lubbock gasket

Re: diesel head gasket November 05, 2009 06:04AM
I run 70 psi with stock gasket tork head to 200lbs

Re: diesel head gasket November 05, 2009 06:12AM
I have a thicker gasket that you can just set fire rings on top of sleeve. Not as good as if you grooved the sleeve but works better than stock head gasket. $150 for kit.
Thanks
Adam Biehl
513-623-9462

Re: diesel head gasket November 05, 2009 02:13PM
so is this new thick gasket and ring as good as say taking .025 or what ever is necessary off of the whole lip of the sleeve and then using a fire ring and gasket. Seems like when a guy actually guts a u or v shaped groove on top of the sleeve there isn't much of a outer edge left to hold the ring anyways. We have been taking the whole lip down and have had pretty good luck, but your thick gasket theory sounds like it may work pretty well and be very easy.

Re: diesel head gasket November 06, 2009 12:53AM
will this work with an 8.1 liner or 9.0 liner

Re: diesel head gasket November 06, 2009 02:56PM
Just curious if anybody has tried running the regular thickness gasket with thinner fire rings to eliminate having to cut the sleeves. I know you can get different thickness wires and I don't see why you couldn't run an .080 instead of a .105 and leave the sleeves alone. I've been wanting to try it just havn't done it yet. Seems like it would be a quick fix for the guy running stock engines.

Re: diesel head gasket November 06, 2009 11:42PM
My stock gasket compressed to ~ .040 plus the factory sleeves protrude above the deck so even .080 is to thick. I've had the .080's stretch & move around so I don't think you want to go thinner than that. I cut a 'gasket' on a waterjet out of sheet metal, made the holes at the bore slightly bigger than the sleeve OD & put an .080 wire on top of the sleeve. A little silicone around the pushrod holes & I was good to go, I do run a dry block though - not sure if this would work with water though.

Re: diesel head gasket November 07, 2009 12:13PM
why not just use good ol orange silicon gasket maker??

Re: diesel head gasket November 08, 2009 01:32AM
In my experience the fire ring needs something behind it otherwise it pushes around. If you recess or cut the sleeve the block provides this. But if you're running the sleeve protruding from the block like it comes from the factory you need a gasket to do it. The orange is fine for sealing up the sheetmetal gasket but I don't think it will fill ~.040. Plus the fire ring would be fully supporting the head - the bolts may not torque because the ring keeps compressing & if it did the stress would probably be to high on the small contact area. I think the sleeve, block, or head would crack, but I've never tried it so I'm not going to say it will not work.

Re: diesel head gasket November 09, 2009 02:04PM
We used to take a factory JD gasket, pull the rings out of it, and I think if there is no machining done to the sleeves, .080 rings should work.

Re: diesel head gasket April 01, 2020 01:56PM
How well did this gasket hold up without cutting groove in sleeves?

Re: diesel head gasket April 01, 2020 02:08PM
Have grooves cut in head just as good a cut sleeves. At least close to it. I have done and then run copper head gasket. I use Clark's cooper gaskets in MN.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,561, Posts: 229,569, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,055, Posts: 225,833.

Our newest member BadHabit2