hesston puller February 02, 2010 12:34AM
has anyone ever built a fiat 8365-05 engine into a pulling engine. its a 6 cylinder with a bore/stroke of 4.528" x 5.118" which is 494 ci [8.1 L]. it came in the hesston 1880 and 1580, maybe the 1380 also. would make a interesting project. would it be a good block to start with?

Re: hesston puller February 02, 2010 01:04AM
I don't know but never could find one cheap enough to gut. Would make a interesting piece to try, I know they are tough tractors in the field but who knows on the track.

Re: hesston puller February 02, 2010 09:10AM
Klaus Blank in Germany runs this engine in Diesel SS for like 20 years now.
Best contact to Klaus you can basically get through Forresters...
video

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Re: hesston puller February 02, 2010 05:14AM
email me if you re interested in this project

Re: hesston puller February 03, 2010 09:42AM
Have u figured out how to make the clutch operate like an ivt yet. Can't wait to see the hesston powerplant in the new component of the sheriff's.

Re: hesston puller February 03, 2010 09:43AM
deputy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have u figured out how to make the clutch operate
> like an ivt yet. Can't wait to see the hesston
> powerplant in the new component of the sheriff's.

by the way did hesston ever make a wheatland???

Re: hesston puller February 03, 2010 10:17AM
We all know what the sherriff wants the sherriff gets. You have to get up well before noon to stay ahead of him.

Re: hesston puller February 03, 2010 10:30AM
Eye PoppingBouncingGrinningThumbs UpTougue OutHot............Cool......coy 1

Re: hesston puller February 03, 2010 05:10PM
These are some interesing engines. The block is the same length as a dt466 but they have 3 cylinders close together then a space in the center of the block then the last 3 cylinders close together like an AC. The head studs go clear to the bottom of the sleeves and the top of the block is completely open you can see all six sleeves. shimming the sleeves is very crucial to keep the head gaskets from blowing. The cylinder head has 3 exhaust ports only however it is a crossflow head. I think it could be made to run good but I think most of us have better stuff to work with. After Fiat quite building fiats and switched to using the ford tractor they continued building that tractor in Brazil and Mexico as a New Holland 8630 tractor.

her

Re: hesston puller February 04, 2010 12:10AM
can you get big cubes from one? are the blocks and cranks common/cheap?

Re: hesston puller February 04, 2010 04:11AM
They are not common here in the states. I think I know where a complete engine is, I didn't research it to much cause I had no interest in it but if you are I will check it out for you. You can go 540 with no problems the only way to get the big cubes would be to evenly space the sleeves and I am sure that isn't cheap.

Re: hesston puller February 04, 2010 05:16AM
If you need anything for these let me know. We have several parts and a tractor or two that we are junking out.

Re: hesston puller / this is not the right engine February 04, 2010 06:43AM
A couple of things , these engines are used in many applications , hitachi excavators , Fiat tractors
Fiat trucks , iveco marine , Laverda and Hesston combines.
At our company we work a lot with these engines and we call them " greasy things" they always smoke.
In the 1580 tractor they were turboed and N/A where the N/A engines had a higher compression ratio and ran less greasy.
The others are turboed and lower compression.
These engines are famous to kick rods out. engines built till 1988 have a different head / port setup.
With the later head the exhaust port of piston 3 and 4 are seperated , this is the head you want. Not the 1580 or 1880 head.
The open deck design of the block is also not good for our sport , you need to built a deckplate where the sleeve's
will hang instead of standing in the block. We have a couple of pullers who use this engine , it was also the Fiat ZAPO
that run it on alcohol.
These engine's are out of production since the late 90's and in Europe they are badly sought for tractors.
We have one available which is a 230HP engine with water/air intercooler and Ppump (all stock)
Good running and low hours.
The Fiat(Hesston) tractors with these engines were built till 1995 in Modena Italy and in 1996 production was moved
to Brasil where they were labelled as New Holland 160-90 and 180-90 later also available in Blue color as 8830 and the 8630.

Hope this all helps

Best regards

Edward Beukeveld / Snoopy Prostock
Beukeveld Exports BV www.beukeveld.nl

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2010 06:57AM by edwardb1.

Re: hesston puller / this is not the right engine February 04, 2010 10:02AM
We sold several of these that all left running good horsepower, almost never see any smoke from these. They are extremely fuel efficient and make good horsepower very easily. You are right the sleeves are not supported and would make for an interesting and probably expensive project. There are several of them still around here with thousands of hours and very minimal trouble. Overall the are good tractors, with a cab that was ahead of its time compared to deere and IH.

Re: hesston puller / this is not the right engine February 04, 2010 11:16AM
Would the cab meet Johnny's level of standards?Smoking

Re: hesston puller / this is not the right engine February 04, 2010 01:42PM
Johnny doesn't spend much time in the saddle so it doesn't really matter......400 hrs in four growing seasons......i think that is self explanatory

Re: hesston puller / this is not the right engine February 05, 2010 12:53AM
Here is Johhnny's new ride for 2010, no more wheatland, stepping up to the orchard.......now we know why he went to Florida

Re: hesston puller / this is not the right engine February 05, 2010 01:28AM
farmall7230 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is Johhnny's new ride for 2010, no more
> wheatland, stepping up to the orchard.......now we
> know why he went to Florida

Lakehouse first!!! Then compact diesel puller!!!Moody

Re: hesston puller / this is not the right engine February 05, 2010 01:51AM
Damn John, WD better not see your driver profile in the 2050 mini-rod class southern illinois shootout. Hot

Re: hesston puller / this is not the right engine February 05, 2010 04:02AM
Aww man i sure was looking forward to those perfect wheatland fendersMoody Gee whiz who is gonna be the crew chief for this venture? I don't have any metric wrenches! Looks like Grubby will be doing some travelling this year in nigerado!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,576, Posts: 229,605, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,058, Posts: 225,857.

Our newest member BadHabit2