licensing your semi ? April 08, 2010 01:23AM
i just recently bought an enclosed trailer and semi to haul the pulling tractor around. i was told i had to fill out a 2290 irs form to license it as 80 thousand pound license? seems like a lot of hassle just to haul them around. has anyone else filed or licensed their rig under something other.

Re: licensing your semi ? April 08, 2010 11:29AM
We had farm plates on our hauler the dot took our plate and parked us. Cant find anyone to give us a straight answer on what we need so we just got aportion plates.

Re: licensing your semi ? April 08, 2010 01:03PM
Just license to the weight you are hauling. For example, my International semi weights 17,000, Kentucky trailer is 20,000, 4WD pulling truck is 6,300, and Geo is 2,700 pounds, for a total of 46,000 pounds. Figure in tools, spare parts, etc.,my base plate is at 50,000 pounds. Heavy highway use tax starts around 56,000 in Ohio, if I remember right. This operation strictly used in motorsports. I have DOT numbers, log book, and ALL the paperwork involved. Yes, alot of overhead and paperwork, but I switched over 10 years ago. Been through 6 different states and scale houses with no problems. I hope this helps. Chris Kolb.

Re: licensing your semi ? April 08, 2010 01:18PM
First things first.If your going to or live in Ohio good luck trying to please those bung holes (D.O.T.S.) Tn. Ky. In. all three go with farm exempt deal if your a farmer so you don,t need 2290 . We run 80,000 # Farm Limited in Ky. but Tn. & In. are the only other states that i run .We go thru scales & so far everything has been OK.If you want to go to another state you can get a trip pass thats not a big deal i,ve been told.never tried it yet . I went to Frankfort myself to find this out i,ve heard all different tails .they told me we could haul tractors feed corn hay all most anything in to the farm but could NOT haul for hire with this tag only our property. It was like 650.00? for a year for tractor + trailer cost Get permanent tag for trailer while your at it.It may cost more but your done with it.Not many people in the clerks office know much about the farm tags Especially 80,000 # farm tags so try to get all the info you can before you go get tags GOOD LUCK. (P.S) our tags say FARM LIMITED right on the plate.

Re: licensing your semi ? April 08, 2010 01:35PM
Oh yeah you will need a DOT No. but no big deal to get that & have your truck inspected & get window sticker most truck shops will do that for $ 50.00 to $ 100.00 You don,t have to keep a log book until you go over 150 miles from your home but it is best to keep one for your own protection in case of any problems. AS WE CALL IT A LIEING BOOK. keep on truckin woop woop

Re: licensing your semi ? April 08, 2010 01:40PM
OOPS One more thing you will need the One Million dollars worth insurance coverage I hope I got it all this time.

Re: licensing your semi ? April 08, 2010 01:45PM
If you are not using the semi for anything other than hauling your own stuff, (not for hire) you may be able to license it as a personal use, and might avoid some of the D.O.T hassle. The problem with farm plates is that the right officer might ask you how many bottoms you pull with that tractor and where you are doing it. And it's called a "coloring book", get a loose-leaf one, otherwise you may need 2 like some cowboys I run with..........

Re: licensing your semi ? April 08, 2010 02:31PM
A friend of mine bought a semi thats 25 years old and put antique tags on it. He also put "not for hire" on it. He has no CDL's an travels several states. No problems either. Tags and Insurance is cheap also

Re: licensing your semi ? April 09, 2010 12:32AM
We are in the proccess of registering our semi as a recreatioanl vehical. We are in Wisconsin we have contacted the DOT (department of tards) and one guy was very helpful he gave us the list of things the truck needs to have we will put them in get it inspected and change the title to RV.
But we aint done yet I ll let you know after we have it completed.

Re: licensing your semi ? April 09, 2010 02:16AM
Mine is reg as RV in wis....But, was told by a State Potrol Officer to still pull in to scale(over 8000lbs) if all looks good, they will let me go. As far as the RV reg....well, that is up to the officer at the scale house. Bottom line is if you haul anything that you collect a check with(could be a pedal bike), weather for profit or not....can not haul with a RV. so till i get questioned, party on. By the way....it is as clear as mud in the Federal Motor Carrier 736 page hand book! get your copy today!

Re: licensing your semi ? April 09, 2010 01:39PM
So if your camper has a fishin pole in it and you catch a fish and somebody gives you 2 bucks for it, there goes your RV status? [according to DOT rule?]

Re: licensing your semi ? April 09, 2010 03:39PM
I do believe its combined gross of the the vehicle so you could get nailed with a pickup and goose if they want to be a pain in the butt! The way to get around some of the bs is if you know you are traveling by a scale get yourself a single trip permit cost about 20 bucks good for 36 hours don't matter what plate you have! Cheaper then a ticket!!

Re: licensing your semi ? To rv October 14, 2016 09:11AM
My phone number is 815-243-2152 in my emails PSCCHR@ Gmail.com
How to go registering your semi a RV. Give me a call just chat for a couple minutes

Re: licensing your semi ? To rv October 16, 2016 03:17AM
You DID notice this thread is 6 years old?

Re: licensing your semi ? To rv October 16, 2016 05:37AM
So he used the search function, which a lot of people remind folks to do, sometimes rather snidely, and brought back a thread that pertained to his question.

Re: licensing your semi ? April 09, 2010 01:55PM
This subject has been discussed all over the past years , so I went and talked to several D.O.T. cops they all said that if you cross over states lines and are hauling a pulling tractor ( and they know what a pulling tractor looks like) you have better have portion plates and U.S.A. D.O.T. number. they all said a pulling tractor is considered a motor sport vehicle that money is exchanged you are subject to all laws pertaining to heavy truck law and rules. I had a friend hauling his tractor to a pull using farm plates and got pulled around at a set of scales and he got nailed with a big fine. so if you get portion plates you have to have a 2290 plus all the other goodies that come with it. OH , just to let you know ,you need a U.S. D.O.T. number on your pickup or dually pulling a flat bed trailer as well,does not matter any more,got to have it! now I KNOW THERE will be some that will say that this is all wrong. if you don't believe then ask a DOT and find out that way or just ignore this and try your luck! the DOT are tired of messing around with us they are going to stop us and check us over! by the way I have been driving a semi for over 10 yrs. and got to know these cops around here in ILLINOIS real well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: licensing your semi ? April 09, 2010 02:51PM
you do not need a DOT number or anything associated with that if you are registered under 26000 pounds and weigh under 26000 gross with pickup, trailer and load. read the DOT manual. provided you are not a comercial operation. pulling is a hobby, not a business

Re: licensing your semi ? April 10, 2010 12:01AM
Driving anything over 26000,don't forget your DOT physical card.Just one more thing you will need.

Re: licensing your semi ? April 10, 2010 01:42AM
May want to read the DOT manual again, it is based on GVWR, not actually what you are hauling, so my goose neck is rated at 14000 and truck is rated for 13000, thats total 27000 even though i don't haul close to that amount total weight.

Re: licensing your semi ? April 10, 2010 12:18PM
may want to read that once again. It is based on GCWR not GVWR. Meaning the total registered weight of the tow vehical, the trailer anf the load hauled on either or both. My tandem dually gooseneck is registered for 16000, my 3/4 ton 6.7 cummins is rated for 9900. thus I am 25,900 GCWR. Since my empty weight is around 13500, then I can haul about 12,400 on the trailer which has two 10000 pound axles but is down rated to 16000 by the manufacturer. Once you hook to the trailer so long as no axle is overloaded and the total weight of the truck, trailer and load hauled is less than 26000 and you are registered at 26000 or less then you are good to go.

Re: licensing your semi ? April 10, 2010 01:41PM
If you cross state lines then your weight goes down to 10000 GCVW. Interstate commerce. And as far as a hobby goes we all know it's a hobby but as far as the DOT is concerned if you have any possibility of collecting a pay check of any size or merchandise you need commercial plates. Farm plates in Mn. are $640 for 80k, commercial are $1300. So for $650 you can avoid any hassles or fines.

Re: licensing your semi ? April 10, 2010 01:55PM
In order for the DOT to require you to meet commercial requirements they must first prove that COMMERCE is taking place. In other words they must PROVE you are conducting business. Uncle Buck is correct in that if you tow a trailer registered over 10000 pounds AND you are conducting business and you cross state lines then you need to meet DOT requirements. If you are registered under 26000 GCWR and you are not a commercial business but a hobby such as pulling then you do not need a DOT certificate. The key is you must be under 26000 and you must not be driving some recognizable commercial vehicle. In other words if it says "Joe's escavating service" on the side of your truck you better be prepared. Like I said if you are under 26000 then they must prove you are conducting commerce (business).

Re: licensing your semi ? April 10, 2010 02:08PM
Very interesting discussion like i said b4 going to try for the RV plate. But untill then I will do what I have done for years DONT LICENSE anything
The dam ticket is chaper than the plate if you only get caught once or twice my record is a mile long with non-register tickets. I drove my semi all last year with exp tags and evan went to Gordyville. Piss on them. Its a joke i dont have a farm but if you have a farm plates them you should be able to pull yer dam tractor anywhere! Why would you go over a scale neways We drive our dumptruck 5 miles out of the way to avoid them.

Re: licensing your semi ? April 12, 2010 07:33AM
Bill R. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In order for the DOT to require you to meet
> commercial requirements they must first prove that
> COMMERCE is taking place. In other words they must
> PROVE you are conducting business. Uncle Buck is
> correct in that if you tow a trailer registered
> over 10000 pounds AND you are conducting business
> and you cross state lines then you need to meet
> DOT requirements. If you are registered under
> 26000 GCWR and you are not a commercial business
> but a hobby such as pulling then you do not need a
> DOT certificate. The key is you must be under
> 26000 and you must not be driving some
> recognizable commercial vehicle. In other words
> if it says "Joe's escavating service" on the side
> of your truck you better be prepared. Like I said
> if you are under 26000 then they must prove you
> are conducting commerce (business).

Indiana DOT in Indianapolis told me when I called last spring that If my GCWR was over 10k I had to have a DOT number since I was pulling. They consider pulling to be "in the pursuit of revenue" so we are considered commercial, regardless of whether we make a profit or not. And I am under 26K on my MDT but the rules applied. So far I am running an in state dot number just so I can avoid some of the hassle, but that does limit the pulls I can attend..

Re: licensing your semi ? April 13, 2010 03:31PM
I could care less about rules, I want to know about LAWS. Rules are someones opinions.

Re: licensing your semi ? April 10, 2010 01:59PM
I was told by a company that does CDL training, which these people should know the laws. They said yes u get a check, but you don't rely on the income to put food on your table, plus your exspences out weigh your winnigs by a long shot anways.. Thats why its called a hobby.

As I said before... go with an Antique plated truck, the miles are not limited, tags are cheap, insurance is cheap, yea u have a truck that's 25 years old, sometimes these older onces are still reliable. Yea one other thing.... You don't need CDL's and you put not for hire on the truck, your set. It is legal even if you cross state lines.

Re: licensing your semi ? April 11, 2010 01:07AM
I.m from Mo. and our none of our farm plates are required to have a DOT number but was told by ILL. that it didn.t matter what you was doing in ILL. you better have a DOT number. To get a trip permit in ILL. and [I don.t know what other states] you will need a DOT number and that Infor is per their Dept that issues their permits. I know that you can talk with different deptments and get different answers and applies not only to ILL. but to about every state around. Looks to me like it may be try your best to be legal and then be ready to battle what you did latter. I don.t believe any of them know for sure.

Re: licensing your semi ? April 11, 2010 01:26AM
Go to a race track once. Here in WI at least 75% of the haulers there are RV motorhome plates. I work with a guy that hauls his two stock cars in a 53' trailer and his truck is registered motor home. I do not remember what he has on the trailer. I remeber him saying he had a list of stuff you had to have in the truck. Like 5 out of 8 things or something. Frig power source and so on. I know he said he insured the rig for only $550 a year.

Re: licensing your semi ? April 11, 2010 01:26AM
i was stopped last fall in evansville indiana driving my ton truck for not displaying my usdot number.he gave me a warning and said that if my gvwr was 100001 pounds and above and i crossed state lines it had to be there as well as a annual inspection and i am based in kentucky.

Re: licensing your semi ? April 11, 2010 01:40AM
Section 390.3F3 in the federal DOT regulations book is all you need to know. Allows for occasional recreational use. Farm plate or not. We had DOT audit a month ago, and that's what the officer told us.

Re: licensing your semi ? April 11, 2010 02:41AM
What about all the poeple that take cattle,hogs,or any type of livestock to a fair with their farm plate vehicles. They are doing it for the possibility of winning a check. Are they any different? If so how ? My tractor should be no different then their livestock!!!!!!!!!!

Re: licensing your semi ? April 11, 2010 02:48AM
get a wyoming address set up. Apply for a RV non transferable title. You can be 86 feet long overall and drive by the dot stations all summer long. If they chase you down,have paperwork and wyoming rules handy. Might hold you up for a little while but it's legal.

Re: licensing your semi ? April 11, 2010 03:37AM
Concerning OH RV :

Q) “Recreational vehicle” means a vehicular portable structure that meets all of the following conditions:

(1) It is designed for the sole purpose of recreational travel.

(2) It is not used for the purpose of engaging in business for profit.

(3) It is not used for the purpose of engaging in intrastate commerce.

(4) It is not used for the purpose of commerce as defined in 49 C.F.R. 383.5, as amended.

(5) It is not regulated by the public utilities commission pursuant to Chapter 4919., 4921., or 4923. of the Revised Code.

(6) It is classed as one of the following:

(a) “Travel trailer” means a nonself-propelled recreational vehicle that does not exceed an overall length of thirty-five feet, exclusive of bumper and tongue or coupling, and contains less than three hundred twenty square feet of space when erected on site. “Travel trailer” includes a tent-type fold-out camping trailer as defined in section 4517.01 of the Revised Code.

(b) “Motor home” means a self-propelled recreational vehicle that has no fifth wheel and is constructed with permanently installed facilities for cold storage, cooking and consuming of food, and for sleeping.

So it has to be designed for sole purpose of RV, and no fifth wheel. So hence, the market for big truck campers with the pintle hitch race car trailer behind.

Re: licensing your semi ? April 11, 2010 03:15AM
From the Ohio Administative Code :

(Cool “Apportionable vehicle” means any vehicle, except recreational vehicles, vehicles displaying restricted plates, city pickup and delivery vehicles, buses used in the transportation of chartered parties, and government-owned vehicles, used or intended for use in two or more member jurisdictions that allocate or proportionally register vehicles and is used for the transportation of persons for hire or designed, used, or maintained primarily for the transportation of property and:

(1) Is a power unit having two axles and a gross weight or registered gross vehicle weight in excess of twenty-six thousand pounds; or

(2) Is a power unit having three or more axles regardless of weight; or

(3) Is used in combination, when the weight of such combination exceeds twenty-six thousand pounds gross vehicle weight.

Where they get you here is you need an apportioned plate to travel out of state if the vehicle was designed for transport of property, not if you are hauling someone elses property for gain. Also the FHUT you need to file to and send a copy with your IRP renewal to get your IRP plates, so you have to file a 2290. It does have an exemption to paying, not filing, if you stay under 7500 miles annually for farm use. You also have to have a USDOT number to get an IRP plate now. Next, about trip permits :

(E) “Trip permit” means a temporary permit issued by a jurisdiction in lieu of regular apportioned license plates and cab card.

(A) A temporary authority to operate an apportioned vehicle may be issued until an IRP registration can be issued. Such temporary authority shall be issued to only those carriers with an Ohio IRP account in good standing and upon any terms and conditions prescribed by the registrar of motor vehicles. Upon issuance, a telegraphic temporary authority becomes an account receivable, and the carrier has five days in which to submit an IRP application. Said temporary authority shall be valid for not more than forty-five days. The fee for issuance of a temporary authority shall be two dollars.

So you have to have an IRP plate to get a trip permit. Won't be available to farm plate. All of this applies to OH based vehicles.

Most importantly, these laws very from state to state and don't expect every law officer to know every detail of every law. Probably 90% of them won't know the actual laws concerning these situations. Do expect them to issue you a ticket if they think there is any question to your legallity at all and let the courts figure it out. That doesn't help you at all considering the cost of going to court.

Re: licensing your semi ? April 11, 2010 02:12PM
what i can't figure out is a lot of us spend over 100k on our tractors and haulers and spend thousands in traveling expense each year and we're all to cheap to spend a grand to get legal to drive our rigs so we don't have any trouble. then the first thing we do is bitch when we get a ticket.

Re: licensing your semi ? April 11, 2010 03:07PM
Very well said there uncle bucky

Re: licensing your semi ? April 11, 2010 03:21PM
Is why do some spend a grand to be legal and still be told they are not.

Re: licensing your semi ? April 11, 2010 11:47PM
I would like to sign up legal. I would spend four grand for license if it were legal to do. They need to change the laws to allow these big rigs hauling our toys to be able to license legal in the state that we live in. If the dot would allow us to license instead of going around the law the state would get alot more revenue collected and save the dot alot of hours chasing us around and collecting fines.

Re: licensing your semi ? April 12, 2010 03:07AM
it's pretty easy to sign up. if you don't go out of state buy a in state commercial plate. if you cross state lines get a prorate plate and a fuel permit. fuel permits don't usually cost anything just $2 for the stickers. you have to keep track of the miles driven and fuel purchased in each state and file quarterly fuel reports which takes about 5 minutes for 1 truck. you will need a health card and usdot number and annual inspection sticker. more paperwork but cost for commercial plates is about 1200- 1500 depending on which state you live in, health card $100 depends what your doctor charges, for insurance if not for hire keep it under your farm. the dot don't care as long as you have insurance and not for hire. and you have to keep a log book. so there you have it. for $1000 or less than having farm plates and your all legal.

Re: licensing your semi ? April 12, 2010 03:38AM
Here is my feelings on this issue.

1. keep your truck in good shape. They will not mess with you if your hauler looks nice and is clean. You want to get pulled over, have a dirty or ratty truck

2. If you are not quite legal, don't go by the scale. Go buy a Atlas that has all the scales on them. If there is a scale, come up with another route. Dont be stupid and try to "bump" the scale by pulling off and back on. (they are smart enough to know what this is)

3. If you are running a lot of out of state pulls, just shut up and do it right

4. Have enough hp to crest the hill at the speed limit. The DOT will look for a truck cresting a hill to slow. In thier minds, that truck in over weight and you will get pulled over. If you ain't go enough, get it, if you don't think you are "safe" traveling the speed limit, get off the road.

5. When you go to a pull, check your truck over. Look at the tires and do a pretrip. Yea the last pull was only a couple of hours away, but you could have picked up a nail and leave home with a flat tire on one of the duals. Take a hammer and thump your tires. If you have a trailer with 17.5 tires watch those tires. They spin alot faster and wear quicker than the truck pulling. Go thru your bearings every year.

6. If you want to get to talk to the DOT sit on the side of the road broke down. If you have a flat (assuming its a dual) Drive to the nearest "Filling station" Then call for help. Don't be stupid and sit on the side of the road. The DOT will stop and help, They will also inspect you while your waiting.

7 Pay attention. I have been to a pull and someone pulls in with a blown tire (more than once) They had no clue that they had blown a tire. Be prepared, if you have a weird tire (say 225/17.5 trailer) carry it. To keep a extra tire ain't that big of a deal.

8 And the most important, be safe, (if you don't have a Physical card because you can't pass it the physical, um you shouldn't be driving)

Re: licensing your semi ? April 12, 2010 05:45AM
Very well said! I have nearly a million miles logged and I could not have said that better myself.

Re: licensing your semi ? March 21, 2016 12:55PM
I to am a Truck Driver. I agree with everything truck driver said, except fully # 8. Here's why, it always changes, every year, they look for something different with DOT Physicals! Before it was Eye sight, then Diabetes, now this thing for snoring a "PAP" Machine I believe they call it, that fit on your face for overweight people! I'm tall and skinny and I had a company try to tell me I had to wear one a couple of years ago! I walked! Went to work for their direct competition. Now, their on with the height and weight thing, coming down the pike! It's all over regulated BS, if you ask me! They just want your money for anything they can get! Don't we pay enough taxes already? Seriously! Don't give me that "safety" BS either! Drivers for the most part (There's exceptions as with everything!) are safe! They would be even more safe, if they got paid a straight salary, not all this CPM (although better then CPM) by the load. They do this for drivers in other countries, why not hear? Japan gives their drivers gourmet food at truck stops, same with many European Countries! Australia does for their "Land Train Drivers crossing the Outback! If you don't know (Look them up online) I've seen them! How would some of you drivers that pull 3 53 footers want to add about 10 or 15 more trailers and pull that across a desert everyday! (Yes, those guys get salary, not any BS, like we do! My point is DOT and the rest of the government boneheads out there need to BACK THE HELL OFF, everybody's backs! And they wonder why Donald J. Trump is so popular? Duh! (A side noteSmiling a 10% reduction of commercial regulations (Including taxes,lic,etc)= a 60% increase in revenue for commercial drivers, I don't care what your hauling! Don't even get me started on time savings, that, that, 10% reduction of commercial regulations gives you! It's insane, how much time you save. These are numbers and statistics people, math is math, you can't argue Math.1+1=2 ALWAYS

Re: licensing your semi ? to; uncle buck April 12, 2010 04:06AM
You are oversimplifying things to make your argument seem more reasonable.
If you only take 5 minutes to do each states fuel and mileage reports, I can't wait to hear you squeal like a pig when you get audited !!!!
To do things totally legal would be a huge pain in the rear.
RV plates or in some cases Farm Special plates should work.
You think DOT is chasing down grandpa in his Prevost toting his enclosed trailer to the antique shows? He is making money doing that.

Re: licensing your semi ? to; uncle buck April 12, 2010 06:58AM
key thing in this thread is that we are talking two topics. goosenck haulers and big rig haulers. it would be so nice to just pay a fee and be down with either I guess. but the real thing is that even the DOT are not sure where goosencks fit when they are not commecial. they do lump the commercial goosenecks into the DOT laws but they are uncertain when faced with a non-commercial gooseneck hauler.

Re: licensing your semi ? to; uncle buck April 12, 2010 07:28AM
I agree with Bill R. It has alot to do with who pulls you over as I dont think they are clear on the laws, everyone of them seems to have a different answer. Seems that the guys with there rigs registered as RV's seem to have the best luck. A previous post mentioned racers not having as much trouble because most of them are registered RV's and the majority of pullers are farmers using farm plates seems to be the issue.

Re: licensing your semi ? to; uncle buck April 12, 2010 02:25PM
i inquired about putting rv plates on my semi.county clerk said that the living quarters had to be in the truck and not in the trailer.state of kentucky

Re: licensing your semi ? to; uncle buck April 12, 2010 02:48PM
I'm sure that is the case in every state, the RV stuff has to be in the power unit for the power unit to be registered RV.
Also agree on DOT officers not being up to speed on what is what! Every one has a different opinion, and you will have to fight them in court to prove your point.

Re: licensing your semi ? to; uncle buck April 12, 2010 05:12PM
I'm putting together a medium duty hauler now, and will be pulling a gooseneck, but probably a drop deck trailer later. I would like to register it as an RV, rules in Illinois require a certain number of items to be on the truck, like sink, toilet, stove, heat, etc. to be an RV. I've been to a lot of drag races, and quite a few pulls, and I will guarentee a lot of rigs with RV plates don't have enough of the items on the list. Is a DOT inspection required prior to getting the RV tags, or do you just get a ticket if you get pulled over after the fact without the requirements? My rig will never be used for commercial hauling, and I'm so small time that the majority of the pulls I attend don't pay money.

Re: licensing your semi ? to; uncle buck April 12, 2010 05:57PM
i don't know who does your fuel reports legal eagle but i have a small fleet of 6 over the road for hire trucks and i can do mine in less than half an hour per quarter. running in 30 states on average and i have been audited and passed with flying colors. been in business for over 20 years.

Re: licensing your semi April 12, 2010 07:46PM
To those of you that say just get the DOT number and become a legal carrier there is still more to it than what you say. I believe all new carriers have to go through an DOT audit within 2 years of getting your authorities, you have to have a statutory agent in each state you operate, and you have to have a random drug testing program in place or join a consortium, maintenance records, inspection reports, and accident files. I know all of these appliy to the for hire carrier, and I believe they all apply to the not for hire, private carrier. Who really suffers from this is the small time close to stock pullers that pull fairly close to home, but accross state lines. Most don't have adequate resources to even afford everything they would like to do to there tractor, let alone spend $2K to $5k a year to make themselves as legal as possible to go down the highway for maybe 5 pulls a year.

Re: licensing your semi April 13, 2010 03:31AM
There is a clear difference in the fmcsa code on how to license your semi if you are only using it for personal use.
How some cops and inspectors look at it is a different story.

390.3 General applicability. (a) The rules in Subchapter B of this chapter are applicable to all employers, employees, and commercial motor vehicles, which transport property or passengers in interstate commerce.

(b) The rules in Part 383, Commercial Driver’s License Standards; Requirements and Penalties, are applicable to every person who operates a commercial motor vehicle, as defined in §383.5 of this subchapter, in interstate or intrastate commerce and to all employers of such persons.

(c) The rules in Part 387, Minimum levels of financial responsibility for motor carriers, are applicable to motor carriers as provided in §§387.3 or 387.27 of this subchapter.

(d) Additional requirements. Nothing in Subchapter B of this chapter shall be construed to prohibit an employer from requiring and enforcing more stringent requirements relating to safety of operation and employee safety and health.

(e) Knowledge of and compliance with the regulations.

(e)(1) Every employer shall be knowledgeable of and comply with all regulations contained in this subchapter which are applicable to that motor carrier’s operations.

(e) (2) Every driver and employee shall be instructed regarding, and shall comply with, all applicable regulations contained in this subchapter.

(e)(3) All motor vehicle equipment and accessories required by this subchapter shall be maintained in compliance with all applicable performance and design criteria set forth in this subchapter.

(f) Exceptions. Unless otherwise specifically provided, the rules in this subchapter do not apply to—

(f)(1) All school bus operations as defined in §390.5;

(f)(2) Transportation performed by the Federal government, a State, or any political subdivision of a State, or an agency established under a compact between States that has been approved by the Congress of the United States;

(f)(3) The occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise;

This last one is what we are dealing with. I know it sounds confusing but this is also from the FMCSA site :

Question 21: Does the exemption in §390.3(f)(3) for the ‘‘occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise’’ apply to persons who occasionally use CMVs to transport cars, boats, horses, etc., to races, tournaments, shows or similar events, even if prize money is offered at these events?

Guidance: The exemption would apply to this kind of transportation, provided: (1) The underlying activities are not undertaken for profit, i.e., (a) prize money is declared as ordinary income for tax purposes, and (b) the cost of the underlying activities is not deducted as a business expense for tax purposes; and, where relevant; (2) corporate sponsorship is not involved. Drivers must confer with their State of licensure to determine the licensing provisions to which they are subject.

Ok, What this all means....
You can operate a 26K+ vehicle without being subject to the federal code that applies to a commercial vehicle.(DOT #,logs,inspections, audits,extra insurance,apportioned plates or a CDL license,etc) You will have to have a class A or B license depending on what you have and it is not the same as a CDL A or B, but the test is the same so just get the CDL. I have my hauler with truck tags registered for 52000(826.00 in pa) and trailer ( small price). It should have a combo plate but did not get there yet. Beyond that I just need a class A license and i have insurance thru Gulfway Insurers in FL.(aprox 1800/yr for truck and trailer) The owner, Mel Eaves, is a drag racer and knows what tractor pulling is all about.

I could convert to an RV plate and go that way also. In Pa you need certain things and go to an enhanced vehicle inspection station to get this done. This would make the registration 81.00 instead of 826.00. I prolly will do this ,but it does not become the get out of jail free card that everyone thinks it is. Many states(in Pa yes) still require a Class Aor B license for a motorhome over 26K. It can be a felony offense in some states to operate a commercial motor vehicle without a license(fine and possible jail). Basically the same rules apply to a truck or a motorhome going down the road in most states.

The line is the sand becomes what you do with it. You are exempt if you do what is stated in the code, but if you have sponsors,deduct via schedule C on taxes, or it is connected to a buisness it is a commercial motor vehicle.

Some other good sources of info:
[www.motorists.org]
[www.competitionplus.com]
[www.dot.wisconsin.gov]
[www.casinospeedway.com]
[www.dmv.state.pa.us] Look at the example under Class B

Re: licensing your semi April 13, 2010 05:44AM
Kevin that is a well written and informed input. Do you agree that if your GCWR is < 26,000 then you are excempt provided you are not commercial?

Re: licensing your semi April 14, 2010 02:32AM
Thanks. I have had to deal with it before. I made a copy of all of those regs, web sites,tax info,truck info,etc, and put it in a binder in the truck. Almost all officers are unaware of this exemption. It pays to have a copy with you. If nothing else,it is a quick reference if you have to fight it. Yes, the exemption covers all vehicles. I just talked about 26k+ to make it simple.

Re: licensing your semi April 14, 2010 02:49AM
It's all in the that one line, and that is how Indiana classified it for me when I called. "in the pursuit of revenue". Our Association sends out 1099's to anyone that placed in the money so we have to declare it on our taxes which puts in the commercial ranks. How do other associations handle purse disbursement?

Re: licensing your semi April 14, 2010 03:29AM
If you are under 26000 total weight of truck, trailer and load and are registered at or under 26K I do not see why you feel you need to have a DOT number.

Re: licensing your semi April 14, 2010 07:44AM
I registered for an INDOT number because when I called the DOT office in Indianapolis to discuss the application, they told me the distinction was that I "could" receive a prize check so that required me to have the DOT number and a chauffers and dot physical even though my hauler was under 26000. I was not required to have the million dollar insurance but did have to have a name on the doors along with my INDOT number.

AP

Re: licensing your semi April 14, 2010 05:34AM
The exemption would apply to this kind of transportation, provided: (1) The underlying activities are not undertaken for profit, i.e., (a) prize money is declared as ordinary income for tax purposes, and (b) the cost of the underlying activities is not deducted as a business expense for tax purposes; and, where relevant; (2) corporate sponsorship is not involved.

As long as you declare all of your 1099 Income from pulling as ordinary income & don't deduct the expenses or have a sponsor I think you still fall into the exemption. Otherwise you are 'engaging in comercial activity' if you drive your car to the bank and buy a CD. The interest from that CD goes on your 1099 & gets reported as ordinary income.

Re: licensing your semi April 14, 2010 09:17AM
"Travel cost support" is how we do it....
By the way.. funny how things are the same here as in the US.
If you have a clean truck they more or less give a @#$%& and never stop you.
IF they stop you, you first show them the tractor and then hand them a book of copies from the law - they usually instantly wish you a good trip (after closer inspection of the tractor).

But if you have a dirty old hauler, start bitching and call them names - they set you still.

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

DOT documentation April 14, 2010 12:35PM
On my internet site are the actual pages from the DOT manual explaining if you are under DOT jurisdiction or not. It explains that if you are engaged in hauling your personal property, such as a stock car, horses, boats and the like even if you win money as long as you are not corporately sponsored and declare the winnings on your income tax as ordinary income then you are not under DOT Jurisdiction.
It also tells what the NEW YORK MOTOR VEHICLE DEPARTMENT said about licensing as a motor home.

Regarding the tax situation, when i licensed my latest road tractor, before i licensed it as a Motor Home, I licensed it for 65,000#. When I went to renew the registration they told me i needed the IRS tax form to renew the registration because i was over 56,000# (I think that was the weight) so I amended my registration to 55,000# figuring I would come back in a week and renew the registration. After amending the weight the women asked me if I would like to now renew my registration.

I have run my tractor trailer to Louisville many times, Canada, Bowling Green, and many other places during the last 20 years when I tell the DOT I am hauling my only personal property I have only had one problem. It was kind of funny. My first trip with my trailer i pulled into the weigh station in Ohio just north of Ky on my way to Louisville. I talked to the DOT inspector he asked me to come inside, I walked into the weight station, he said "lieutenant ............. of the Ohio State Police, this is Richard and he has his own personal property in his trailer outside, he is not under my jurisdiction but I believe he is under yours and he does not have mud flaps on his trailer". The Ohio State Police went out and looked at the trailer, i told him i had just licensed it and it passed inspection. He said "take the mud flaps off your road tractor put them on your trailer and you are free to go." One other thing the DOT guy said "if you have your trailer painted up nicer you would be less likely to have a problem".

Last summer I was stopped at a weigh station in Canada, they agreed i was a motor home, but said it did not matter regarding my air brakes and checked my air brakes.

I go through dot a couple times a year for the last 20 yrs, and have never been inspected or had a problem. I pull in and tell them "I am not under DOT jurisdiction, I have my personal property in my trailer and my vehicle is licensed as a motor home, I have the DOT manual documentation and DMV documentation would you like to see it". typically they say "good answer, your free to leave".

go to my site www.policypeddler.com
on the left side you will see content and under content is DOT

I have not read the page recently I believe it also talks about Methanol.

Re: DOT documentation April 14, 2010 02:11PM
richard, if by some freak of nature i ever wind up residing in New York and you are still selling insurance you got a customer. Thanks for the info, always hauled on a open trailer gave away a few hats and t-shirts had only one problem( I ran out of shirts).

Re: licensing your semi April 14, 2010 01:13PM
I agree completely with what you posted, but states impose their own laws above and beyond those of federal. Your license or vehicle registration is issued by your state, and your scales are operated by state, not federal, and your DOT officers are state trained and paid. if I remember correctly, only very few officers can actually issue you a ticket for a federal offense, most cannot. So say that you get a logbook violation at the coops. States have duplicate laws on the books equal to or stricter than federal laws and you will be ticketed for the state law violation, not the fed. What complicates this is the differences in laws from state to state. State laws trump over fed laws, been there, fought that.

Re: licensing your semi ? April 14, 2010 05:16AM
i have not read all the posts here. But if your not going to put rv plates on, AND your going out of the 200 mile radius, your going to file yhe 2290 heavy use tax form ....... pay your 500.00 bucks ......... i dont know what state your in but in illinois my plate ( apportioned) cost right a 3000.00 this year......... your going to need a DOT number i think its free.......you might be able to claim private carrier, but i'm not sure. any way you do it 2 DOT cops are never going to give you the same answer. HAVE FUN BUDDY

Re: licensing your semi ? October 14, 2016 06:26PM
It's a 6 yr old topic but at least its not a RC post

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,573, Posts: 229,599, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,057, Posts: 225,853.

Our newest member BadHabit2