5000lb na class June 25, 2010 02:47PM
what do you think of a 5000lb na class rules [1 360ci] [ 2 cast head] [ 3 fuel gas] [ 4 no V8] [ 5 no fuel injection] [ 6 18.4 tire] [ 7 steel flywheel ] [8 blanket ] [9 tie bars]

Re: 5000lb na class June 25, 2010 02:59PM
sounds good.looks like over the years the small frame tractors have been forgoten about.they are so much easier to transport,and castings are still readily available.

Re: 5000lb na class June 26, 2010 11:22AM
Just use the rules from IAMO pulllers on their light superfield. I believe they run 350 inches natural aspirated with no rpm and fuel limits. All safety equip on 18.4x38. Not a lot of rules just pin the ears back and let it eat.

Re: 5000lb na class June 30, 2010 04:54AM
Light Super Field Tractors

General

Tractors are to be of chassis 1968 and older.
Any gear, any speed, shifting of T/A’s, Power Directors, Multi-Powers, or like transmissions allowed.

Weight

5,800 lbs.

Engine

All tractors must be naturally aspirated. NO blowers, turbochargers, or superchargers are allowed.
A 350 cubic inch limit applies to all 6 cylinder engines with a 385 cubic inch limit for all four cylinder engines.
Engines must have stock appearing blocks and heads to match the make of the tractor.
NO aluminum or aftermarket manufactured heads allowed.
Any integral plates, girdles, or reinforcement devices that enhance the engine’s rigidity and improve safety will be allowed. Deck plates can be no thicker than 1”. Girdles can be no thicker than 1” material. Spacer plates can be no more than 2” combined.
All tractors must be equipped with a steel flywheel.
Head and pan measurements to be made for cubic inch establishment prior to the start of the season. Head must be visible for viewing. Block casting and serial #’s will be recorded for future checks.

Tires

Maximum tire size is 18.4x38 or equal footprint. NO radial tires. No duals. Any cut allowed. Any rim width.

Hitch and Chassis

Weights must not extend rearward beyond the tires and cannot be more than 13’ from the center of the rear axle to the furthest part forward.
Drawbar must not exceed 20” in height or be shorter than 18” from the center of the rear axle to the hood point. Drawbars must be stationary in all directions.

Safety

Drivers must remain seated at all times.
Drivers must wear a fire suit and helmet
All tractors must be equipped with a fire extinguisher within reach of the driver at all times.
Tractors must be equipped with “Dead Man” style throttle.
All exhaust must exit straight up with no curves or bends.
All tractors must have a working safety kill switch.
All tractors will have a 3/8” steel band/plate covering the flywheel area or an approved scatter safety blanket.
Wheelie bars are required.
All tractors must run rear fenders. Fenders must be as tall as the rear tires.
Tractors must be equipped with an appropriate roll over protection device. It may be OEM style or a multi-bar cage design.
All tractors shall be equipped with tie bars.
NEW FOR 2010: All tractors must be equipped with front stabilizer bars or skis. The lower most portion of the bar must be no higher than 4" off the ground.

Re: 5000lb na class June 26, 2010 02:25PM
Count me in, been waiting for this class for years. A NA class that is not all Molines, all colors could play! I would allow any carb, IMHO big updrafts are dumb but I would build one either way.

Re: 5000lb na class June 27, 2010 02:08PM
we were thinking about any carb it should be a go next spring any ideas welcome

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2010 02:18PM by ktp560.

Re: 5000lb na class June 26, 2010 03:17PM
Why would the v8 be out of this group if we could get that light??

Re: 5000lb na class June 28, 2010 02:51PM
Look on illinistatepullers.com they run a 5000 NA class that is very competitive

Re: 5000lb na class June 28, 2010 05:03PM
im not a deere guy,but iv been looking for simpsons 2 banger,i can only find 1 vid,but lots of the other tractors.

Re: 5000lb na class June 30, 2010 02:14AM
It will probably be at the illinois state fair since illini state pullers is hosting the pull look for it there patches where are you from?

Re: 5000lb na class June 30, 2010 02:40AM
Here’s my problem with most NA classes: are they antique classes or are they modern high performance NA classes? I don’t mean to slam NA pullers, but I don’t think too many of them are sure what direction they want to go in. If it’s an antique class then Carbs are fine, if it’s a performance class then allow fuel injection and/or carbs…, don’t have any age limit, and allow the conversion of diesel heads, or maybe even allow any aftermarket head including billet heads.

My vote is make a modern high performance NA class unlike the run of the mill NA antique classes. Let the little motors just scream the rpms and watch the fans of new and old tractors come out of the woodwork. Let the rules allow for an Oliver 88 to run against a Kubota.

Here my comments on the rules that were suggested in this thread:

1. 360ci (do you allow someone to decube a bigger motor like a 466 down to 360?)
2. cast head (does it have to be OEM, or can I go out and cast my own head and them machine it to whatever I want? My preference would to either go with stock OEM head or go billet, but simply writing a rule that says “cast head” leaves sooooooo much room for grey area! Also, are you allowed to convert a diesel head to sparkplugs?)
3. fuel gas (methanol give a lot more bang for not much more buck!)
4. no V8 (if you don’t allow decubing then you don’t even need this rule)
5. no fuel injection (Personally, I’m all for fuel injection, there are enough antique type classes with ridiculously giant airplane carbs out there)
6. 18.4 tire (Are radials allowed? Is there a max rim diameter? Is there a max rim width?)
7. steel flywheel (absolutely!)
8. blanket (absolutely!)
9. tie bars (absolutely!)
- What about rear-end? Can someone put a Farmall H rear behind a 5.9 Cummins?
- Does the sheetmetal have to match the block? (Personally I think the sheetmetal should match the block, but thats just my opinion)
- How many valves per cylinder? If I build a 360 cid Kubota with a dual overhead cam OEM head am I legal?
- Do you need a 2 bar SFI roll cage? Seems like a good idea to me!

Here’s my rough outline for my dream NA class
1. 410 CID no decubing
2. OEM cast head, diesel heads can be converted to sparkplugs
3. Fuels: methanol, ethanol, gasoline, LPG, diesel
4. Tires: (I'm still undecided on this one)
5. Engine and sheetmetal: must match for specific make and model
6. Reared: must match sheetmetal for specific make
7. Safety: tie bars, steel flywheel, SFI clutch, SFI 2 bar cage, wheelbase, lengths, etc… all same as normal NTPA chassis specs.

Just my $.02 and hopefully some food for thought. Personally I'd love to see a small cube NA class with modern high performance.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: 5000lb na class June 30, 2010 04:45AM
The indiana/Ohio club that runs some classes with BMTPA has basicly your exact rules, except for the cid limit. This year they are allowing anything under 450 ci to run fuel injection, or downdraft carbs to try and even them out a little with the big MM's and Case's. They already allow diesel to gas head conversion, and you are allowed to put a bigger motor in to get more cubes if you wish. Like a Cockshutt would be allowed a 478 hercules, or an AC 190 would be allowed the D-21 motor. The NA classes are awesome, but they need organization and some uniform rules. And I completely agree about the modern tech. being involved.

Re: 5000lb na class June 30, 2010 11:29AM
Thanks for not slamming us NA pullers. I know we are not very HI tech,But as a puller and a very dedicated follower of all types of pulling, why don't we just give everyone points & money and everyone run weedeater motors!!! The American way is invotation.(anyone kind wind the rubberband tight.)but if this is going to be a HI PERFORMANCE class why worry about a big slow CID motor,but I am a fan of CID. What is going to happen in all classes from NA to SSD's? The last I knew CID is rising in all Agricultural Tractors! Point being Deere now starts out at 550 CID. Oh, that is to much let's decube him. If we are going to play it that way let's just make everyone bring a stock AG tractor to the pulls. I'm sure Louisville will have plenty of seats(cheap) for sale. Now You all can have your way with me.

Re: 5000lb na class June 30, 2010 11:36AM
Sorry this was supposed to go under Jake's post, O.K. slam the 7734 ou of me.

Re: 5000lb na class June 30, 2010 04:36AM
pa,oh,wva area.about 5 miles from oh river.

Re: 5000lb na class June 30, 2010 11:52AM
I would LOVE to see a cubic inch rule around 350 and NA. our little 460 is so obsolete anymore its pretty sad. what used to be competitive, is just a joke at roughly 330 cube. single updraft spinning around 5g's. could probably add a header, bigger carb and re-grind the cam again to get more rpms tho

Re: 5000lb na class June 30, 2010 12:26PM
1. 360 CID may decube
2. OEM cast head, diesel heads can be converted to sparkplugs
3. Fuels: gasoline, LPG, diesel
4. Tires: any 18.4 tire Any cut allowed. Any rim width.no duals

5. Engine and sheetmetal: must match make
6. Reared: must match make
7. Safety: tie bars, steel flywheel, SFI clutch, blanket 8. no v8 9 any carb
Hitch and Chassis

Weights must not extend rearward beyond the tires and cannot be more than 13’ from the center of the rear axle to the furthest part forward.
Drawbar must not exceed 20” in height or be shorter than 18” from the center of the rear axle to the hood point. Drawbars must be stationary in all directions.
Safety

Drivers must remain seated at all times.
Drivers must wear a fire suit and helmet
All tractors must be equipped with a fire extinguisher within reach of the driver at all times.
Tractors must be equipped with “Dead Man” style throttle.
All exhaust must exit straight up with no curves or bends.
All tractors must have a working safety kill switch.
All tractors will have a 3/8” steel band/plate covering the flywheel area or an approved scatter safety blanket.
Wheelie bars are required.
All tractors must run rear fenders. Fenders must be as tall as the rear tires.
5000lbs na any year how does that sound and if it works out next year we can look in to a 6000lb no cid limit class for MMs

Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,579, Posts: 229,610, Members: 3,320.
This forum: Topics: 37,058, Posts: 225,859.

Our newest member Fechtner Racing