5.9 cummins January 27, 2011 02:52AM
i have recently purchased a 5.9cid cummins came out of a 89 pick up i want to make between 500 and 600 hp any one no of a good combo for this engine and what needs to be done to make this much power from a 5.9 do you need to fire ring or girdle it? I have a 12mm p pump and intercooler for the 4wd ramcharger im putting it in i want it to b streetable but have some smoke under the hood

Thanks in advance

Re: 5.9 cummins January 27, 2011 04:37AM
www.competitiondiesel.com

Re: 5.9 cummins January 27, 2011 08:16AM
thanks for the site now i just have to figure out how to use it

Re: 5.9 cummins January 27, 2011 09:27AM
Pretty good group of guys there. Most if not all the guys who make big power with a 5.9 hang out there. Lots of good info

Re: 5.9 cummins January 27, 2011 04:28PM
If you want a reliable motor, I would put head studs and fire rings in the head. Haisleys have a good head gasket kit with the firerings. ARP and A-1 sell head studs. You will probably need a set of 5 x 16 injectors to get that kind of power. For best driveability, I would look into compound turbo. There are alot of options when it gets to the P-pump, like govenor springs, fuel plates, delivery valves, bigger plungers, etc. Cummins sells a block stiffener plate that could be used without going to a high doller gorilla girdle. Spend some time on comp diesels and do some research before building. Good luck !!

Re: 5.9 cummins January 28, 2011 01:36AM
check out rawdiesel.net for all you need.builds some of the best trucks on the track

Re: 5.9 cummins January 28, 2011 02:34AM
5.9 cummins
i have recently purchased a 5.9cid cummins came out of a 89 pick up i want to make between 500 and 600 hp any one no of a good combo for this engine and what needs to be done to make this much power from a 5.9 do you need to fire ring or girdle it? I have a 12mm p pump and intercooler for the 4wd ramcharger im putting it in i want it to b streetable but have some smoke under the hood

Thanks in advance

As swampy said, check out Competition Diesel. There is a lot of info on there, but be advised to search before posting your questions.

The easiest route would be to swap a p-pump on it and a set of 5x.010 or 5x0.012 injectors. A single in the 64-66mm would provide enough airflow, but if you need it to spool quick, compounds may be a better bet. Unless you are turning 5-6k to make your 5-600 hp, you do not need a girdle. Fire-rings should not be needed either.

Re: 5.9 cummins January 28, 2011 03:38AM
I like the cummins forum better... cumminsforum.com

Re: 5.9 cummins January 28, 2011 03:19PM
thaks for all of your knowledge every one and the websites ive got alot of mixed feelings on the fire rings tho im thinking a good head gasket and some arp head studs im hoping will do the trick and i have some more questions on what timing do most run with the 12mill p pump and 012 injectors im also up in the air on a turbo yet im hoping to find a good combo for the pump and injectors

thanks again you all have been helpful

Re: 5.9 cummins January 29, 2011 12:58AM
I have bought several things from Pure Diesel Power. If you want to do some one stop shopping and buy parts that will compliment each other, give these guys a call. They carry name brand parts and could put a nice combo together for you.

Re: 5.9 cummins January 29, 2011 02:02AM
K.I.S.S.

KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID

-12mm P Pump (Keep the AFC intact for Proper Tuing)
-5x0.016 injectors
-181 Delivery Valves
-4k Gov. Spring
-60# Valve Springs w/ 10* Locks and Retainers
-Head O'ringed, while off do a mild port job in accessable areas.
-Use New Head bolts, torqued down "the magic way"
-20* of Timing (Really like more, but 20 still has good manners, peak power will be made at around 25, +or-1degree. )
-Port the living haites out of the exhaust manifold.
-Forced Inductions S366 Turbo

There are more things, but this gets you the basics.

Re: 5.9 cummins January 29, 2011 07:05AM
Thanks this helps out a bunch I will start to gather some parts and see what happens maybe I can have it together before it snows again next winter i want to do it right the first time so i will be taking my time. Thanks for the great info on the fuel turbo and timing that helps me out a lot I want to put the parts on before i put it in the suv and make some smoke before i reconstruct it thanks again for the great info.

Re: 5.9 cummins February 01, 2011 08:41AM
Hey, I'm a bit of a cummins Guru.

First, either Cumminsforum or CompD will serve you well. Actually, Diesel Bombers is where I hang out. Little friendlier than CompD, and not near as much bickering going on as over on Cumminsforum

Pure Diesel Power won't do you wrong. I know Garret and his gang personally. Good folks! They've helped me with parts getting my diesel shop off the ground here in WI.

I would suggest a P-Pump conversion. Not cheap, but makes your horsepower goals not only more acheivable, but MUCH more reliable. VE pumps can make the power you're after, but they don't last well.

Head studs, don't need firerings for 600 hp. Nice 62 or 64 mm turbo will be very streetable. Like said, 5x16's, or look into 7 hole injectors. I'm getting a set of 7x.011's for my 95 (which has the weaker 175 hp pump) and the injector builder figures that by maxing out the pump (no plate, mack rack plug) I should be able to make 500-525. With better Delivery valves, more. If you have a 96-98 model year p-pump, even more yet. And, 7 hole injectors tend to smoke less, spool a turbo faster, and be a little better in fuel economy. Contagious Diesel is doing my sticks. Lee's a sharp cookie and you WONT beat his prices. I guarantee it! Winking

Hope this helps you. I'm aiming to make the same general hp as you, though I tow mostly with my truck so I have to overbuild a hair more..

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,573, Posts: 229,600, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,057, Posts: 225,854.

Our newest member BadHabit2