JD Rockers on Oliver 77 Motor May 02, 2011 12:28PM
I am trying to use JD rockers on my Oliver 77 engine, and as you can see they do not align to the valves very well, this could be fixed by machining the stands or the rockers themselves. The bigger issue is the adjusting screws, these are the Oliver screws in the JD rockers, and I am out of adjustment, what is the solution for this problem?

I understand that many of you have used this setup on Oliver engines, so I am looking for any suggestions I can get.

Thanks
Rich

Re: JD Rockers on Oliver 77 Motor May 02, 2011 12:42PM
order longer pushrods from Smith Bros.

Re: JD Rockers on Oliver 77 Motor May 02, 2011 01:02PM
You could just machine some off the bottom of the rocker arm stands, to get more adjustment or longer push rods as stated above.

Re: JD Rockers on Oliver 77 Motor May 02, 2011 07:23PM
After looking through the online Oliver parts manuals there are a couple of different length pushrods used on the Oliver 77 and 88 engines, has anyone tried using other Oliver pushrods?

Thanks
Rich

Re: JD Rockers on Oliver 77 Motor May 03, 2011 04:32AM
I would like to know what rockershaft you used or if you had bushings installed in rockers. I have looked into this several times. The new JD rockers cost as much as a reground camshaft. Then you have to figure in all the machine work to get the rockers to work.

Re: JD Rockers on Oliver 77 Motor May 03, 2011 12:31PM
I just machined 3/16"s off the bottom of my stands for $60, it also levels out the rockers so the don't sit down hill so bad. Otherwise I used 1800 oliver push rods before shortening the stands. I think they were almost a half inch longer than the 88's.... I heard of someone saying the replaced the rocker's pads with small engine cam followers, I would like to know more about that.

Re: JD Rockers on Oliver 77 Motor May 03, 2011 01:03PM
I couldn't find a good used rocker shaft for the 77 and decided to go with the JD rockers with a new shaft made by Brad Gray, he opened up the holes on the stands to fit the larger shaft. My pushrods are the shortest ones in the parts book, hope to find some longer ones in the junk pile, might decide to shorten the stands as well.

Thanks
Rich

Re: JD Rockers on Oliver 77 Motor May 03, 2011 02:07PM
You also need to have the correct rocker geometry, being when the valve is half way open the rocker should be level and that is not as critical as the tip of the rocker should be in the center of the valve stem.

Re: JD Rockers on Oliver 77 Motor May 03, 2011 10:03PM
I agree with your comment on the geometry, this has not been the "bolt in" solution it was supposed to be, I hope it is worth the time and effort.

Rich

Re: JD Rockers on Oliver 77 Motor May 04, 2011 04:18AM
I would call and order a set from murphys and save myself the trouble.

Re: JD Rockers on Oliver 77 Motor May 04, 2011 08:38PM
That would be too easy, and I still would need to find a good rocker shaft.

Rich

Re: JD Rockers on Oliver 77 Motor May 05, 2011 05:58AM
Fair enuf they sure do look good though but then again you can't see them with the valve cover on.

Re: JD Rockers on Oliver 77 Motor May 07, 2011 12:53AM
Getting closer, I found push rods from an Oliver 1600 that are about 1/2" longer, I am also getting the stands cut to align the arms and lowered to help with the geometry.

Rich

It is running May 11, 2011 10:02PM
Thanks everyone for the input, everything lines up well and it is running, sounds great.

Thanks Jake for the website

Rich

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,598, Posts: 229,641, Members: 3,322.
This forum: Topics: 37,060, Posts: 225,873.

Our newest member JD_8520