Interesting video about John Deere strike October 19, 2021 03:13AM
While I am on the right side of the aisle, there is value in hearing the other side. At least you get an idea of how they think.

John Deere strike discussion

The attached link is from a podcast called Breaking Points-, the co-hosts are Krystal Ball (formerly of MSNBC, a Bernie liberal who occasionally has flashes of sense) and Saagar Enjeti, who is the "conservative" but imo is more of a RINO/center-left Libertarian type.

The first 5 minutes of the link are about labor problems at Deere. It seems the factory workers/UAW members are on strike. To keep production going, Deere trained white-collar workers to do those jobs done by the striking employees. I have opinions as many of you do on labor unions and whether they are good or bad in the big picture for the US economy, but will keep those to myself.

Thoughts on the first 5 or so minutes of the link? Does the way Deere is handling this mean possibly crappy quality for products made during the strike, or is the process so automated it doesn't matter who pushes the buttons?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2021 03:14AM by The Original Michael.

Re: Interesting video about John Deere strike October 21, 2021 01:35AM
I usually find myself being against the unions, but after watching the news feed of the striking workers, I understand their reasoning and side with them. A welder on the factory floor that has been working there for 15 years making $19.62/ hour isn't ok in 2021.

Re: Interesting video about John Deere strike October 21, 2021 09:57AM
They aren't forcing them to work there for that price.... Go get a new job if you don't like it. 2021 is no different than any other.

Re: Interesting video about John Deere strike October 22, 2021 02:38PM
I'm normally anti union but it looks to me like the JD workers are getting screwed.....JD will turn a almost 6 billion dollar profit for 2021 which is 61% more than the record year of 2013..Before I retired in 2012 I worked a non union job for many years and if I were still there today I would be making more than any JD production worker..

Re: Interesting video about John Deere strike October 22, 2021 03:01PM
Yeah they are in business to make money..... Big shocker. Sounds to me like the union is not doing a damn thing for them. The union is the one that negotiates for them right?

Re: Interesting video about John Deere strike October 31, 2021 03:38AM
I had a union job for awhile, I worked for the county highway dept. we would have monthly union meetings. Nobody really knew anything at the meetings. The union rep we had was a complete buffoon. He was always trying to tell us how the left was so great in all the things they where doing for the union. Well anyways, things at work went ok for a few years, then one of the workers moved up to road foreman. Then everything went to crap at the county. Myself and two others left and took new jobs. We tried every option with the union to try and make things work better with this guy and it had gotten us nowhere, but union dues where still 60 bucks a month. 3 years have gone by since I’ve worked there and it’s still the same toxic environment. Biggest problem is people can’t pull together for one common goal. They are only worried about their own interests and the same goes with the unions.

Re: Interesting video about John Deere strike November 07, 2021 04:09AM
As a person heavily involved in business, I can say how employers “should” look treat their employees, seeing that I have been on both sides of the fence. A simple run to govern by would be job satisfaction for your employees. If you (business) are taking in $$$$ profits, but your employees are unhappy, I don’t believe your business is successful. Yes, capitalism is the finest way to operate businesses in our country. But a happy employee will move mountains and create a much better product. Things will go well, short term, but it’ll eventually catch up to you….usually, too late. A person should have perspective. I wouldn’t have someone do, what not willing to do myself - all in (wage, benefits, safety, etc). Once you look at things from that perspective, you can run your business better, See it, done it.

Re: Interesting video about John Deere strike November 07, 2021 12:43PM
A happy employee will move mountains and one that's truly appreciated will do it day in and day out. The problem with the UAW is that what they're asking for borders on entitlement. Instead of asking for a cut of the earnings, they should be talking up what they can bring to the table and selling themselves as the partner of the future that can earn their employer even more down the road. I did time study for Deere and measured the productivity of the union workers and was shocked with what they were getting away with. It's no surprise why Deere is not beholden to them. Look for something drastic to happen.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,565, Posts: 229,582, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 279, Posts: 2,500.

Our newest member BadHabit2