Are there levels of cheating?

Published February 23, 2011 12:45AM, by Jake MorganViewed: 8900 times

All this talk on the page regarding cheating at the 2011 National Farm Machinery Show has really perplexed me lately. There seem to be some comments that indicate that it’s OK to cheat for one reason or another. Maybe it’s my Christian faith and the fact that I believe that God views all sin as sin, and that God hate all sin equally, but that’s also how I view cheating. There isn’t a grey area for me. Cheating is cheating. God states that the penalty for all sin is death, but I’m not quite as legalistic on cheating and I’m OK with different penalties for different infractions, but I’ll save that for a different article. For those non-Christian out there fell free to draw from your own beliefs, and all of us should try and remember that our beliefs will, and should, shape our world view and our actions (although my beliefs don’t shape my actions as much as I’d like them to sometimes!) How you view cheating may not be the same as me, and it doesn’t make either one of us any more “right” than the other, that's why this is on the Opinion page.

Back to tractor pulling... some seem believe that if it’s only cheating on your water it’s just a minor infraction so it's no big deal. There are people who have the attitude that ‘hot’ water is not that big of a deal because it doesn’t make enough a difference to worry about. I've even heard that it's OK because some ‘hot’ water makes less power! I guess my question to them would be that if it doesn’t make that big of a difference (or no difference at all) why are so many people spending big dollars for it instead of simply using the 3 oz of lube per 1 gallon of water? The simple answer is that it does make a difference, I’m sure it makes a noticeable difference if you tune specifically for it.

From some of the other comments I’ve seen, it appears people are willing to give you a pass if you cheat at a brush pull. Somehow since there no points involved it’s OK to lie to the fans, the promoter, and your fellow competitors. It's just a brush pull after all!

I’ve also seem plenty of comments that seem to imply that the whole class is cheating so it’s not a big deal. Or comments that defend a cheater just because he’s a nice guy.

So I’m go to throw out a bunch of questions about cheating and let you decide on you own:

• Is it OK to cheat on water, but
  • Not OK to cheat on fuel?
  • Does it matter how many Hp cheating gains you?
  • If it’s less than 50 Hp is it OK, but
  • If it’s over 100 Hp it’s wrong, and
  • Anything in between is grey area!, or
  • Do the Hp numbers depend on the class?
  • Is it OK to cheat on cubes, but
  • Not OK to cheat on a turbo?
  • What if you add a 75 lb. weight after you go across the scales… is that OK?
  • What if you add a 100… is that over the line?
  • Is raising your drawbar ½” OK, but
  • More than ½” and you’re a cheater.
  • Is it only cheating at a sanctioned event?
  • Is it OK to cheat at non-sanctioned events (brush pulls) even if their rules are clearly written?
  • Is it OK to cheat if you think the guy ahead of you is cheating?
  • Is it OK to cheat if everyone else in the class is cheating?
  • Is it OK to cheat if you have a limited budget and others are spending big money?
  • Is it cheating if you say you didn’t read the rules?
  • Is it OK to cheat if you still aren’t winning?
Now I’ve read most of the rule books and I know how poorly many (most) of them are written. I know there are times when the rules are so poorly worded that it’s not really clear on what’s forbidden and what’s not. I know there is often some gray area, some by mistake and some intentionally. However, when the rules are clear is it OK to disregard the ones we don’t like.

Cheating is lying to the fans, lying to the promoter, and lying to your fellow competitors. Is it ever OK to cheat?

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Comments

Post A Comment

Website Statistics
Global: Topics: 38,561, Posts: 229,569, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 59, Posts: 59.

Our newest member BadHabit2