How about a claim rule? April 09, 2009 12:57AM
I just read through the LPS thread and thought that a simple claim rule for the class would work. I know at the local circle tracks it works well and keeps people from building high dollar setups. I'm not saying an entire engine claim but turbo, injectors, and pumps would be OK. Get the average cost of all these from the builders and set the prices for the claim. I keeps it fair at the race track I don't see why it wouldn't work here. OK bash away!

Re: How about a claim rule? April 09, 2009 02:07AM
We put a claim on our turbos in our organization. It has never been used but it sounded like a good idea. However, the reason it probably won't work......... is that tractor pullers for the most part are not pricks. We all seem to get along and talk to each other. Race car drivers are not the same.

Re: How about a claim rule? April 09, 2009 03:55AM
Well I know a few, as you call them, "pricks" that pull, but 99.9% are good people. I would say that this would be the easiest way to keep the $5000 14mm P pumps out, $550 a piece billet dual feed injectors out, and the $3000+ turbos out.
These are the main pieces that get updated every year by the big checkbook puller. You make them risk a $5000 P pump and it might change the way they think. I'm not saying that the claim would be used, but it would alway be in the back of the head of the big checkbook show up and drive type pullers. Just my thoughts

I enjoy this page and visit it several times daily. Thank you Jake for your work to keep it going. I'm planning on donating to your ADA bike ride fund.

Ray Tellin

Re: How about a claim rule? April 09, 2009 03:11AM
I brought this idea up to a few 4x4 guys that run in classes that always seem to argue their rules. They said it would never work. Why wouldn't it? Ive been around circle track, mud racing, and even horse racing and it worked very well. It keep the price of racing down and help keep things more honest. Seems to me it would help tractors too.

Re: How about a claim rule? April 09, 2009 05:08AM
A valid idea but my ? is why would i put up money to get illegal parts off of someone elses tractor so they can sit on my bench. Maybe i dont understand the rule completely but that is the way i under stand it you put up the money and if the parts are illegal u keep them. Also it could stop people from doing R&D.

Re: How about a claim rule? April 09, 2009 05:27AM
Sounds to me like some winers that can't run. Either pay to play or get out

Re: How about a claim rule? April 09, 2009 05:31AM
Depending on the dollar amount agreed upon to protest a possibly illegal pump or turbo, you might just get the illegal part for cheap! In our pulling group, we do have a claim rule on illegal turbo's. We're suppossed to run out-of-the-box 3LM-466's. Well, if I choose to protest a fellow pullers turbo, and if it is illegal, I just picked up an illegal turbo for less than what a 3LM-466 goes for! What do I want w/ an illegal turbo? I'll advertise it on here! It might be illegal for us, but I bet it isn't for someone else on here, and I might be able to make a buck or two.

Re: How about a claim rule? April 09, 2009 05:46AM
This is not protest it's a claim and the parts (turbos, pumps, & injectors) would all be legal. This is just would help limit the cost of the parts you would need to compete in these "entry" level classes and keep out the pullers that belong in a class higher up.
I think it would work very well in Super Farm as well as LPS. Super Farm would benifit the most I think. I see in the for sale section over the years top Super farm tractor selling for $50,000-$80,000. I remember when Super Farm started to be a NTPA class the Puller wrote an article that you could compete for under $20,000 if I remember right. They didn't say that you would be 100ft. behind the leader.

Like I said in my earlier post, these are just thought.

Re: How about a claim rule? April 10, 2009 05:27AM
boy do I remember that there were a lot of people asking the same question, how many hundred feet behind the leader ( back then probably a 35 to 40g hyper motor) you would be, NTPA really got laughed at that time remember what the cube limits were back then and turbo size, in a emergency you buy a stock off the shelf 3 in and 4 out from your local any color dealer we did that the first year they had super farm at tomah popped ours the sunday before couldn,t get the one we needed ended going to the local deere dealer got one from them ended in the middle of the pack

Re: How about a claim rule? April 09, 2009 05:29AM
I like the idea of a claim rule for the pump,injectors,and turbo put a decent price on it,for the hot farm and the 3000 rpm classes you are right it would take the 14 mm a pumps and high dollar cheating out of the picture it would work for IMO

Re: How about a claim rule? April 09, 2009 09:09AM
Sounds like a good idea, but it will never work as intended. As a crew chief for a IMCA dirt track team for the past 15 years ( I still attend 4-5 pulls a year) , we have seen the claim used as a grudge against someone probably 98% of the time. IMCA even switched to an exchange rule and the costs continue to climb to build a competitive engine. 5 years ago ,a good top 5 engine cost around 2500 , now if your not spending 6000 you might as well stay home. The whole problem is there isn't enough tech inspecters willing to tear down someone instead of waiting for someone to protest. That's my 2 cents worth on a claim rule.

Re: How about a claim rule? April 09, 2009 10:04AM
As a tech and a puller I would never want to do this. I run a average cost truck in my group there a a lot of trucks that have a lot more money in them then mine does . Someday I hope to be able to run what they have. That said we have all the rules in place that we voted on as a group and that is hard enough to enforce and we all pretty much and get along and are friends on and off the track. I as a puller dont want a limit on the money spent. Other then the fun we are aslo out there to sell the show, if you want to stay at the top of the pack you gotta spend, if the fans see the the same limited vehicles run year after year and nobody steps the the front with a better set up they will stop showing up and if they dont show, we have no place to pull, Example in our group is my truck and one other truck for the last couple years have be #1 & # 2 in points in 2008 we had 2 other guys step up and show us where we need to be next year. That to me is part of the fun. My truck is now in a million pieces and when it comes back out hopefully will be back close to the top. I ran the same setup for 3 yrs and got behind the leaders of the group now. The fans that follow us like to see that also

Re: How about a claim rule? April 09, 2009 11:39AM
if you want a claim rule, then stick to your farm classes, not an open rpm class. them cheap parts do not hold up, and end up costing you more in the long run

Re: How about a claim rule? April 10, 2009 01:59AM
I agree 110% ! With a limited RPM class it may work if you can find a fair way ti enforce it. But in our class we have engines that run well over 8000 rpm and are engines in other groups that go higher. Would be a bad thing for most classes

Re: How about a claim rule? April 14, 2009 10:43AM
The only way that a claim rule works in short track dirt racing is if you claim an engine or parts you must run those parts next week. Besides in that sport pretty much everyone uses the same engine, the small block chevy. Be tough to put a IH head on the old deere. Well that pretty much shoots the claim in tractor pullin idea, doesnt it? If it doesn't have the run the claimed part at the next pull clause, then it's just another name for a tech dispute.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,697, Posts: 229,796, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,950.

Our newest member CBeard