Costs associated with building superfarm. July 18, 2009 02:35AM
In the recent months i have seen several super or prostock complete rolling chassis for sale. Much like the one on the for sale page now. They seem to be priced in the 22-25000 dollar range. How much additional money would be required to get these into a competitive superfarm tractor? Would need complete power plant and clutch. I would think the gearbox would need some slower gears too. What all is required to build a superfarm motor? I seem to remember talk on this board a few years ago about people building ground up superfarms in the 100k+ range. Seems like if a complete roller was purchased you could have way way less into a tractor and still compete. Maybe more like the 40-45K range? Just curious if my lifelong dream could be closer to reality than I think, or if i will be a fan in the stands forever.

Re: Costs associated with building superfarm. July 18, 2009 09:13AM
Helps if you can do some of the work yourself, like assembling the engine. If you can't do it yourself, find a buddy that knows how to put an engine together, and find an experieced puller that will help you out with information, that is worth more than anything. It's probably not as complicated as you think, especially at the superfarm level. Don't waste a bunch of money on the head, you should still have water in the head, and good valves. Some minor porting to clean up trouble areas on the head, depending on the color of the tractor. Get at least 5.75 stroke on the crank, probably cost around $1500-2000. 6 inch would be better but can be costly, and unreliable, and probably not the trouble a new puller needs to deal with. The place to spend your money is the turbocharger, I would buy a Columbus, the seem to have the superfarm turbos figured out, about $4000 to 4500 I think. You will make or lose more power on the turbo than anywhere else. Also you should buy a good fuel system, Columbus is a little pricey for what you are getting, I would shop around for a pump and injectors. You should be able to have a good pump and dual feed injectors for around $4500-5000, that is good enough for superfarm. The stock oiling system can usually work for you in a superfarm application, maybe need to tweek a few things depending on the engine. Billet cam costs around $1500. If you have some extra money get a roller cam setup and lifters, can get a little power here with better cam grinds, but if the budget is tight, you can get away with a flat tappet. There are other things like pistons and rings, you don't need billet, put an engine configuration together that can modifiy a stock piston from something else, will save you some money. I am sure there are lots of little things that can add up to thousands of dollars before your done, the little things are always way more than what you figure in the begining. The rearend gears should be fairly close on a superfarm and a prostock, depending on what rules you are going to run, the prostocks run alot more rpms, thus the gears are about the same. If you do things yourself, make sure and take your time and do things right, rushing to get something together usually ends up meaning you will have to do it again later after it breaks. The other thing I would look into, even if your on a budget, is going to the dyno, not that expesive when you look at what is spent on all the parts to put a tractor together. Assuming you have your tractor running decent to begin, $1000-1500 dollars at the dyno will get you dialed in on your setup. I would say you are correct in saying you can build a superfarm around 45k, thats probably about minimum, but the money adds up quick if you don't do much yourself, thats how you get to 100k. Good luck, you only live once, you should do your dream.

Re: Costs associated with building superfarm. July 18, 2009 01:04PM
Thank you very much for taking the time out of your day to answer my questions. I would be able to do a lot of work myself with help of family and friends. I also know 2 different fellas that have superfarm tractors and they are real nice people so they could lend advice as well. This is my dream and it looks like it may be attainable but a lot of things will have to come together to make it happen. Maybe in 5-7 years I will be able to have a tractor on the track.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,948, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,033.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009