Sled and Why or What August 10, 2009 12:21PM
Why when u see pulls of pullers goin only 280 feet, which, they should be goin 320 feet do people think thats ok..these guys are made to run...the pull at indianaoplis they barely got 300... a distance for the winner should always be around 315 to 330. These little tracks these guys go to, which i mean big time pullers, PPL or NTPA, go tear ur stuff up and not go anywhere... Like INDY...Some guys think they are to big and are not even close. Point is these pulls u go to can't weigh the sled right and half of the pullers should be pullin somewhere else...period

Re: Sled and Why or What August 10, 2009 12:49PM
Pulling was based on 300ft. If more than one vehicle goes past 300ft, there's a pull-off. The sleds can stop even the toughest vehicle well short of 300 if the operator wants to. Set the sled to stop em by 300 and those that are tough enough to go out can come back. Worried about breakage? Pulling is about endurance. If the vehicle breaks in the pull-off...there was a 99% chance they would have broke on its next hook anyways.

Re: Sled and Why or What August 10, 2009 03:01PM
I think beagle was trying to say that some pullers opted to go run with the big boys at Indy when in fact they should have ran with their home organization and actually had a chance to win and put on a good show.

Re: Sled and Why or What August 10, 2009 03:37PM
beagle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why when u see pulls of pullers goin only 280
> feet, which, they should be goin 320 feet do
> people think thats ok..these guys are made to
> run...the pull at indianaoplis they barely got
> 300... a distance for the winner should always be
> around 315 to 330. These little tracks these guys
> go to, which i mean big time pullers, PPL or NTPA,
> go tear ur stuff up and not go anywhere... Like
> INDY...Some guys think they are to big and are not
> even close. Point is these pulls u go to can't
> weigh the sled right and half of the pullers
> should be pullin somewhere else...period

so when half the class that you think should be pulling somewhere else goes somewhere else, will you be complaining about numbers in a class that you want to see?
MY opinion is NTPA sucks and PPL is right with them because neither one of them follow their own rules depending on who you are.

Re: Sled and Why or What August 12, 2009 04:41AM
You mean in your opinion they should be going 315-330. Most pullers would rather be around 300 because it's that much less time and stress on parts. and besides pulling is based off of 300. sled can't be perfect everytime, sometimes they even have a bad night and miss a setting.

Re: Sled and Why or What August 13, 2009 08:16AM
I agree opinionator sled can't be perfect all the time. Pretty easy to miss the weight on the tractor once in a while.

Re: Sled and Why or What August 12, 2009 05:19PM
If you're talking about the TWD class on Sunday, they set the tractor 3 times. That was enough given that the class had a large number of vehicles and had started late. Yes, the winner only pulled 280 ft, but so what? In SMT, the winning pull (Funny Farmall) was 323 ft, in PS it was 302 ft (Young Buck), and in ULSS the winning pull was 'only' 288 ft (Big Toy).

Re: Sled and Why or What August 13, 2009 12:35AM
Fans dont wanna see 280ft, they wanna see some full pulls and a pulloff with a clear winner! And most pullers do too, when we quit thinking about the fans in the stands and only about us as pullers, the end is near my friends!

Re: Sled and Why or What August 13, 2009 02:55AM
That was perfectly said,Bob

Re: Sled and Why or What August 14, 2009 07:18AM
most pullers i know dont want a pull off thats why they come up with the floating line

Re: Sled and Why or What August 14, 2009 07:52AM
PULLING IS BASED ON 300 FT. BUT ID RATHER SEE A FLOATING FINISH LINE THEN HAVE A PULL OFF WHERE GUYS WREAK THEIR EQUITMENT AND MISS THE REST OF THE YEAR. WHAT MOST PEOPLE DONT REALIZE IS EVERTHING RUNS HOT. AND MOST ENGINES ARE SET UP TO RUN TO THE MAX THE FIRST TIME. MOST NEED OIL DRAINED THE AT THE BARE MINIMUM. SOME GET STRIPED DOWN AND RE WORKED FOR THE NEXT PULL. WATCH DRAG RACING. U WILL SEE MOST THOSE GUYS TEAR DOWN BETWEEN RUNS. SO I SAY KEEP IT TOGTHER FOR ANOTHER DAY.

Re: Sled and Why or What August 14, 2009 08:31AM
300 ft is fine if that's all the track is capable of allowing, but if you have extra room 325 is definitly more exciting and doesn't hurt anything on the vehicles. If the track is short, build a sand pile. That is sure to cause a little excitement. Take the indoor pulls for example, nothing gets the crowd going like weights in the sand.

Re: Sled and Why or What August 14, 2009 08:33AM
That is a great point,Clearly

Re: Sled and Why or What August 14, 2009 08:36AM
Thanks beagle, btw great post title...

Re: Sled and Why or What August 15, 2009 05:18AM
I agree with bob........I know it is the job of the sled operator to stop the tractors of trucks but can't they let them get up and run just a little? 225 to 250 is just not any fun for any one, drivers or fans. The excitment comes when somebody goes out the gate. The pull at Springfield raceway with Brungarts sled. Everytime that sled is used it is the same old story

Re: Sled and Why or What August 15, 2009 06:05AM
300 feet is a full pull. period. The sled should be set up so its a real challenge to get out past 300 feet. If the sleds were set up a little heavier like this, you wouldn't need the Bowling Green bubble rule or any other variation of full pull rules. Save the floating finish for the pulloff as a final difference maker. You don't see football fields stretching to 130 yards just so fans can see longer touchdown passes do you?

Re: Sled and Why or What August 15, 2009 04:40PM
So, let's just suppose that the fans quit coming to the pulls because there are no pull offs or tractors are stopped before the 200 foot mark on a 250 foot track. Let's just suppose. No fans, no pulls. All i am asking for is just a little bit more to make the pullers feel like they have made a good pull and the fans get excited about the pull they are watching. I think there is a fine line between the two but a good sled operator ought to know where that is, don't you think?

Re: Sled and Why or What August 15, 2009 06:09PM
After reading all the post about sled and how everybody thinks the sled operator is doing it wrong , my suggestion for you people is to go break your piggy banks and scape up your pennies and go buy a sled since you think it is so easy to operate and then we will see how big of an a$$ you make of yourself . You say you want to see a pull off all the time , what if there are 40 hooks in the class and the sled is set perfect for the start of the class and half way threw the class the track gets better and all the sudden you have over 20 in the pull off , do you want to sit there and watch the same 20+ tractors run the second time and then 3 of them make it past 300 ft so the go and have another pull off , next thing you know that the class took 3 hours to run . If they did this all the time at the big pulls they could turn off the lights because it would be daylight before the pull was over. Then all you keyboard pullers would be b*t*hin about the pull was to long .

Re: Sled and Why or What August 16, 2009 12:38AM
u tell them frosty lol

Re: Sled and Why or What August 16, 2009 01:42PM
First off, who said anything about 40 tractors having a pull off all the time. How about let's not exagerate. Also, it is not all the sleds. The guy that runs the Ironman does a great job and most of the time he is right on but he is not afraid to make a change. I know it is a tough job but when 6 or 7 tractors in a class can't get half way down the track, i personally think it takes the fun out of it all

Floating Finish All The Way August 16, 2009 01:43AM
40 years ago we used walk on sleds and the highest horsepower you saw was 300.There was a 6 mph speed limit and the tracks were mostly all 300 ft long .We had so many pull offs that sometimes the sun was coming up the next morning before you got home.

Today we have 10,000 horses coming down that same little 300 ft track.Its just too small.All tracks should be 330-350 ft long with the winning distance around 300-320 ft.You pull once and you have a winner.In my area pull offs are a thing of the past. The crowds all love the high speed 300 ft plus runs and would boo if we went back to pull offs. None of the pullers in my area like pull offs. Why put double the runs on your puller to win the same prize money?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2009 01:47AM by G-1000.

Re: Floating Finish All The Way August 16, 2009 09:50AM
The sled operators do the best they can- their is a lot of variables mainly the track changes. Most of the time you tractors down 320ish, once in a while the track and tractors don't do what the sled operator thinks there going to and you wind up a 280' winner. As a fan (I am a fan in the stands) we have to understand that happens once in a while and be happy every body came to put on the show.

While I like to see impressive 300+ foot runs I don't think we should aim for 350+ feet. Engine temperatures sky rocket when you start getting to way beyond 300 feet and then once again you wind up melted and can't make the next hook.

So the point- floating finish is good but aiming for 350 feet is not a good idea.

thats my 2 cents

Happy pulling,

Jay

Re: Floating Finish All The Way August 16, 2009 12:10PM
my opion is to be prepared to make two passes every night .. remember when all those different wieght classes ran same night ... conservitave now is one pass a nite ..... well those old engines used to have to run multiple times a day ....in different weights ... i guess its just elvolution of the sports growing pains.... so build for two passes and have fun .... after all that why i like super farms they are durable....IHSMOKE

Re: Floating Finish All The Way August 16, 2009 04:09PM
SF's have to be durable, so they can pull the manure spreader and hay rake during the week, and play like a pullin' tractor on weekends.

Re: Floating Finish All The Way August 18, 2009 07:14AM
I agree with u sleepy. I wish they would get rid of that class. Boring.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,779, Posts: 229,957, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,040.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009