Boycott Russ Darrow auto/truck group in Wisc!!!!! They make fun of you!!! April 13, 2010 09:04AM
Driving to work today in my Chevy, I heard a new radio commercial for russ darrow/kia. in Wisconsin area. The bottom line was at the end of the ad, they asked if you thought a romantic date was taking your wife to a tractor pull. if you did, then you were NOT SMART enough to be a kia buyer!!!! I was HOT!!! called all the way up the chain of command only to talk with a assitant to russ darrow. I gave her a earful to say the least, but was nice about it to her. If any of you puller/fans around this area have heard this insulting ad, call russ darrow and let them know what YOU think about it.
The # number for corp office is 1-800-732-7769
I am a American and smart enough to never buy a stinkin KIA in the first place!!!!! God Bless the USA!!!
Perry Butson

Re: Boycott Russ Darrow auto/truck group in Wisc!!!!! They make fun of you!!! April 13, 2010 10:09AM
And here i thought it stood for Killed In Action Bouncing

Re: Boycott Russ Darrow auto/truck group in Wisc!!!!! They make fun of you!!! April 13, 2010 02:52PM
korea's imcompetent automobile

Re: Boycott Russ Darrow auto/truck group in Wisc!!!!! They make fun of you!!! April 13, 2010 03:26PM
careful what you Keep In Asia... a lot of Chevy's are build in Korea, right next door to KIA

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2010 03:38PM by Sascha.

Re: Boycott Russ Darrow auto/truck group in Wisc!!!!! They make fun of you!!! April 13, 2010 03:44PM
In some cases more of that Hyundai or Kia is made right here in the USA than your trusty Gov bailed out Chevy!!!

Re: Boycott Russ Darrow auto/truck group in Wisc!!!!! They make fun of you!!! April 13, 2010 04:04PM
Which still is no reason to make fun of tractor pullers and I hope you give that dealer hell!

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Re: Boycott Russ Darrow auto/truck group in Wisc!!!!! They make fun of you!!! April 13, 2010 11:52PM
And alot of BMW's and Mercedes are built here in the USA!

Re: Boycott Russ Darrow auto/truck group in Wisc!!!!! They make fun of you!!! April 14, 2010 08:22AM
correct!
VW is building a new plant in the USA, too. Currently most of the VWs coming into the US today are made in Mexico (and cost like 10 grand less than here).

The brand means nothing as to where the vehicles are build.

Re: Boycott Russ Darrow auto/truck group in Wisc!!!!! They make fun of you!!! April 14, 2010 10:12AM
Sascha is right, I work at a plant that machines parts for the automotive industry and we pretty much make for all brands and dont believe your not putting money in the japs hands if you buy from one of the big 3. Im a firm believer in trying to always buy american but when one of the big 3 visits our plant as many japs and koreans walk thru as americans. We make parts for one of the big 3 then ship them to mexico. We even recieve parts machined in other countries to our plant, run them thru a washer and ship them back out. Ive worked here almost 12 years and still havent figured out how they justify all the shipping costs, I guess thats why we pay $50,000 for new crewcabs these days.

Re: Boycott Russ Darrow auto/truck group in Wisc!!!!! They make fun of you!!! April 14, 2010 09:56PM
I can maybe get you a little inside look on why various parts are made in different spots.
My dad's company (not his, but he runs the show) produces "perforated sheet metal" for over a 100 years now.
They have several patents and after this long time an experience other's don't have.
One of those deals is the "screen with the most throughput of air" along with the knowledge how to get it in all different kinds of shapes. So most tractor manufactures get their grills done there these days as with the laws of noise emissions and todays engine performance they need to have as much as possible of the engine compartement covered, but need to get rid of heat.
So - how does it work:
The manufactures give out a "task". They want piece XY to fulfill WZ conditions.
Then the suppliers can offer "solutions" and a price.
So e.g. at my dad's company they have engineers who then come up with a design and offer that to e.g. John Deere.
Best solution at the right price, or right solution at the best price get's the job.

Given their experience and patents, they are often able to offer "the best" solution.

It's not like JD would go out and try to find a manufacturer for their design anymore. So if you don't have the engineering in house, you don't even matter.

Then it's "deliver on time" to the production line.
Where you are located doesn't matter and how you get your parts to the production plant is your problem.
You deliver late and the assambly line has to be put on hold - you pay for that.

Another good example, and why it is even cheaper to ship a simple piece like a ladder step all the way from germany to e.g. Waterloo/IL than making it there:
At my dad's company they have a HUGE stamp / press forming ladder steps out of plain sheet metal in basically 3 stamps. That machine puts out like 40 ladder steps a minute and is operated ( I should say observated) by one guy.

That's like 2400 of those steps in one hour which brings those steps down to a price where even the chinese cannot compete anymore. And except for CNH all major tractor manufactures use them... every one has it's "own" design and some want thicker sheet metal than others, but in the end, it's basically the same step.

If you start to come up with your own design and invest into a machine that could put out the numbers used by yourself only - you're production price will be too high, as you couldn't get anywhere near the numbers and efficiency.

The trick here is to know how to make that step with only three punches... and to figure that out takes quite a while.

...modern times....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2010 10:07PM by Sascha.

Re: Boycott Russ Darrow auto/truck group in Wisc!!!!! They make fun of you!!! April 15, 2010 12:26AM
That is 100% correct Sascha, finding more innovative ways of doing processes and more efficient ways of using materials and such is how USA and other industrial developed countries can easily beat China. They are focused on cheap labor and manufacturing, and some products can be made very well by this mindset. But usually anything that requires very skilled workforce or High Technology just is not suited for this environment. And they also can be beaten by innovation in cost reduction as in your press example, and with quality programs, many suppliers from these cheap workforce countries are not very ethical about their quality programs and try to pass out of spec parts through the system, and in manufacturing in USA and most other countries especially US and Germany and Japan and many others quality is very important, and this is how Americans can keep their jobs, by doing the job right and ontime!

Re: Boycott Russ Darrow auto/truck group in Wisc!!!!! They make fun of you!!! April 15, 2010 12:51AM
Funny story on the side:

There is a company here that produces washers/shims. They export CONTAINERLOADS of that stuff to China!

Why?

Chinese manufacturers are not able to keep their quality.
There is little labour involved in making them.
Since there is shitloads of containers coming here from China with clothes, electronics, .... the boats to China are usually empty, so the shipping companies are happy to have at least some goods on the boats and have rather low prices.

Typically, when you buy parts from China, the first two batches will be good - and then the third will start to show lack of quality and from that point on it goes really downhill and you can start searching for a new supplier.

Another story is about a pressing tool that a company wanted to build. Chinese company made an offer that was 1/4th of the cost of their "in house" production.
So the job went to China.
When the parts was done, it got stuck in the Chinese harbour - all of a sudden they had to transfer more money to China because of new "laws".
Of course - when the part is done and you need it, you'll transfer.

Part arrived, looked ok... started production and ohhhhh @#$%&. Didn't work..
What happened:
The Chinese didn't have the right software to read the files of the drawings and their machines had an "understanding" problem and also couldn't do exactly what was required.
Turned out, they reprogrammed eveything by hand to make it "look alike" - but in certain areas it was substantial to be accurate in the measurements... and those measurements were a tiny bit off and that caused the sheet metal to keep stucking on the form.

End of story: Part in the trash - new parts had to be made here - expensive lesson. Production in China - never again.

Germany has a balanced trade with China - simply because they have to build A LOT of cheap DVD players to pay for one Mercedes S - and they WANT Mercedeses badly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2010 12:54AM by Sascha.

Re: Boycott Russ Darrow auto/truck group in Wisc!!!!! They make fun of you!!! April 13, 2010 04:09PM
Does anyone have a kia body on a 2 wheel drive truck yet?

What station were you listening to? April 13, 2010 04:45PM
Perry what radio station did you hear this on? I will listen tomorrow and call the radio station as well. I really don't understand the sales angle the were taking. Since I really don't like Russ Darrow anyway it wont hurt my feelings ruining someone elses day.

DPS

Re: What station were you listening to? April 14, 2010 12:14AM
WIBA fm 101.5, in Madison.

Re: What station were you listening to? April 14, 2010 12:17AM
It was also airing on Z104fm

Re: What station were you listening to? April 14, 2010 12:32AM
102.9 out of Milwaukee

Re: What station were you listening to? April 16, 2010 12:53PM
That is why you should not listen to that head banger music.

Re: Boycott Russ Darrow auto/truck group in Wisc!!!!! They make fun of you!!! April 14, 2010 12:38AM
I've been boycotting Darrow for a number of years, ever since we went in to look (I forget what brand we were looking at) and Mr. Darrow himself shrugged us off because he had something better to do. That's not the way you treat a customer, and we haven't gone back since!

This new anti-pulling ad puts it over the top, though. Anyone who puts down another group of people for the sake of "advertising" is an idiot.

Re: Boycott Russ Darrow auto/truck group in Wisc!!!!! They make fun of you!!! April 14, 2010 12:50AM
When did we pullers start acting like a bunch of high-schoolers? Somebody is poking a little fun at you! Do you really think a tractor pull is a romantic date? I love pulling as much as the next guy, but come on...you are kinda making the add's point.

Re: Boycott Russ Darrow auto/truck group in Wisc!!!!! They make fun of you!!! April 14, 2010 04:13AM
The first date I took my wife on was to Tomah on Saturday night in 1999...

She still reminds me every so often of that...

Re: Boycott Russ Darrow auto/truck group in Wisc!!!!! They make fun of you!!! April 14, 2010 07:19AM
I can take a joke as well as the next guy, but they went to far with the "not smart enough" thing, really hacked me off!!!

Re: Boycott Russ Darrow auto/truck group in Wisc!!!!! They make fun of you!!! April 14, 2010 01:51AM
Hey Perry.I just called up there which I'm happy to say there has been plenty of other call ins.She is putting in a request to have the ad removed.Told her they should have used a caveman or something that doesn't exsist.Dont mess with the tractor pullers!Everyone that read Perry's post please call them,don't buy anything from them and tell every single person you know not to buy there either.If they closed their doors they will realize just how smart the pulling world is!

Russ Darrow is Sponsoring Churning Dirt :-) April 14, 2010 04:56AM
Just Kidding! But think of this as free publicity. I took my wife to a tractor pull, and said you don't ever have to go to another pull the rest of your life, but this is who I am and this is what I love.
I will contact them and see if they want to donate KIA's for the monster truck smash. Take care everyone, can't wait for Summer. Hope some of you can make it to our test and tune on May 15th. I think we have Timmerman's bringing their new 2wd mods, should be a fun day with the mud racing and snowmobile grass drags.

Re: Russ Darrow is Sponsoring Churning Dirt :-) April 14, 2010 07:32AM
Now.. as a woman who loves going pulling, to me that would be a great date! So not all men would be stupid to take me there.. it may not be the most romantic, but its better than sitting at home! Cool

Re: Russ Darrow is Sponsoring Churning Dirt :-) April 14, 2010 08:31AM
I've took my girlfriend to Ft Recovery on her birthday, that's how much she loves pulling Cool

Re: Russ Darrow is Sponsoring Churning Dirt :-) April 14, 2010 09:25AM
Here is a link to listen to the ad for those who havent heard it.

[www.youtube.com]

Re: Russ Darrow is Sponsoring Churning Dirt :-) April 14, 2010 12:07PM
The add is not saying anything about tractor pullers being stupid..Its saying that you're stupid if you think a tractor pull is a romantic evening...And I agree

Re: Russ Darrow is Sponsoring Churning Dirt :-) April 14, 2010 02:29PM
ARE THE TIMMERMANS REALLY GONNA BE THERE. Those guys are just awesome. Nice looking stuff, great bunch of people. I heard tell that they stepped up their program this year. Gonna kick the new son-in-laws but. Should be a great day Jason. I have it on my schedule.

Re: Russ Darrow is Sponsoring Churning Dirt :-) April 18, 2010 02:24AM
Son-in-law and old Grandpa may have a few tricks up there sleeve. This isn't Gramps first rabbit hunt.

Re: Russ Darrow is Sponsoring Churning Dirt :-) April 19, 2010 02:39AM
I like it, I like it!

Re: Boycott Russ Darrow auto/truck group in Wisc!!!!! They make fun of you!!! April 14, 2010 01:24PM
Wouldn't the world be a better place to live if more women liked going to tractor pulls.

Re: Boycott Russ Darrow auto/truck group in Wisc!!!!! They make fun of you!!! April 15, 2010 02:57AM
Well, my wife agrees with the ad.......I do not have the smarts to drive one of them there KIA units. Stick with my Deutz powered unit. What do u think Mark??????

Re: Boycott Russ Darrow auto/truck group in Wisc!!!!! They make fun of you!!! April 15, 2010 08:42AM
Absolutely!!!Ain't gotta be smart to drive one of them ther Deutz's.Gotta leave that to us dumb guys!They were dumb to name a vehicle a Kia anyway.Sounds like a good drink concoction.

Re: Boycott Russ Darrow auto/truck group in Wisc!!!!! They make fun of you!!! April 15, 2010 12:16PM
aint that one of them things that you get at christmas time for the kids? they plant seeds on them and they grow green....A kia pet??

Re: Boycott Russ Darrow auto/truck group in Wisc!!!!! They make fun of you!!! April 16, 2010 02:23AM
That's kinda what I was thinking.

Re: Boycott Russ Darrow auto/truck group in Wisc!!!!! They make fun of you!!! April 16, 2010 01:26AM
Ya, i would just spill it anyway. Beer

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009