Schwitzer 4LE help May 30, 2010 03:59PM
I'm a Farm Stock puller wih little experience running a Case with a 504, head work, cam, 425cc pump, and 4x.020 injectors. I'm going to pulls this year that allow bigger turbos than a 3LM, and I ran across a nice 4LE-556 at a great price, so I built new exhaust, intake tube, oil lines, and went to the first pull today. Not very happy with the results- lost lots of low-end torque, hard to get the sled moving, and the turbo starts to "chirp" way too early in the run, as high as 2400 rpm under a heavy load. It's making 10 lbs less boost than my 3LM and exhaust pressure is low. Seems to me that the exhaust housing is way too "loose" and is bypassing lots of exhaust. What I need to know is how to find the right housing to solve my problem. I'm familiar with the Holset housing numbers, but don't know what to look for on the Schwitzer. I know there are better turbos, but I'm on a budget, and this setup is already built. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated- I need to solve this quick. Thanks- KB

Re: Schwitzer 4LE help May 30, 2010 04:31PM
4le exhaust housing numbers are 240, 260, 280, and 336. I have all but the 260.At your cubic inch and rpm, my GUESS would be that you need a 280. The 4le is an obolete charger but it will still work.
Several that read this will disagree with me and that's ok since you are on a budget.

Re: Schwitzer 4LE help May 31, 2010 11:12AM
Thanks for the info. I just took off the hood and looked close at the housing- top number is 148387, and under it 386 DUC. That's all I could find. Does that mean anything? If not, how do I tell what I have? Thanks again-

Re: Schwitzer 4LE help May 31, 2010 02:44PM
Also check your wheel options, you can not believe the diff between a 4le292 and a 303 (comp wheel change)

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,778, Posts: 229,950, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009