Dry block and head in a prostock June 13, 2010 01:30PM
Building a prostock IH 400 series motor. 4/78 bore . thinking about dry block however just wondering how many back to back runs she can make before meltdown. Can you make 3 runs within 45 minutes without hurting the motor.

Re: Dry block and head in a prostock June 13, 2010 03:24PM
call rondney at d&r

Re: Dry block and head in a prostock June 13, 2010 04:37PM
Two back to back pulls in 45 minutes is doable if you take off your side shields and run air thru the block. THREE pulls in 45 minutes; yer cruisin fer a bruisin'. I tried it years back on alcohol. It's not advisable, IMHO. I've got several melted pistons on my wall of shame due to too many back to backers. Pick your most important two and call it good. Otherwise, give it a try, and hopefully your wall of shame will stay empty. Three back to back pulls in an hour and a half MIGHT be more like it.

Re: Dry block and head in a prostock June 14, 2010 12:32AM
run air thru the block ???? air device on tractor or head for trailer with air compressor??

Re: Dry block and head in a prostock June 14, 2010 02:48AM
Battery powered lawn leaf blower works good.

Re: Dry block and head in a prostock June 14, 2010 08:23AM
I used a 12 volt squirrel cage fan that has a high cfm rating. Blow it into your water manifold jacket. Knock the frost plugs out of the block and or the head(s) to let the hot air escape. It is light and can be made permanent as opposed to a leaf blower. Either way will get the job done. You could use a 120v squirrel cage blower too. It would save on your battery.

Re: Dry block and head in a prostock June 14, 2010 01:39PM
What if every water jacket is full of concrete???

Re: Dry block and head in a prostock June 15, 2010 01:40AM
I guess I should have elaborated a little more. If you have a filled block and or head(s), the fan deal won't work. It only works for non-filled blocks and heads.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,697, Posts: 229,805, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,959.

Our newest member CBeard