ESP Langford Results August 01, 2010 04:30PM
Results from the ESP pull in Langford, NY are on the website.

www.empirestatepullers.com

Re: ESP Langford Results August 02, 2010 01:21AM
Dan, On behalf of the Langford-New Oregon VFD - Thanks for a job well done by the entire ESP group. We wanted to try the "Showdown" concept and will certainly welcome feedback from the Pullers and Fans for next years show. Thanks also to the WNYPFP for a great show to start the day with. Of course the Langford Pull would be nothing without the fans who come out every year.. THANKS!

Re: ESP Langford Results August 02, 2010 03:32AM
Bill- What were your thoughts of the Show Down??? How do you think it went? My thoughts sitting there watching. Well we watched more of the boat changing weight around then we did tractors going down the track!!!! It took for ever to do that show down. I think we watched just about 3 Full classes pull in the same time it took to hook 15 tractors in the Show Down. Are you going to do that again Next Year???
The ESP pull went great, we had a fun time, and I sure did like getting home at Midnight in stead of leaving the pull at Midnight.

Re: ESP Langford Results August 02, 2010 06:33AM
i agree,to much down time during the showdown. the fans were leaving during it as well. alot stayed. but the more delays seemed to send them to the gates. why couldn't you use the back up sled also? why 1 class was running,they could be setting the other boat up for the next class. help with the down time. just a thought!!! i personally think the 2 esp sessions is what the fans and pullers want at langford

Re: ESP Langford Results August 08, 2010 10:40AM
I know langford tries new things two try . Frankly put the showdown was a really BAD idea . A thing of the past i hope. Do it again and you guys will not see me for sure. I been to your pulls for 40 some years keep up the good work

Re: ESP Langford Results August 08, 2010 01:26PM
it will be unfortunate if we do end up trying it again, id hate to think a long time pulling fan would not want to come see a esp event because of an extra show at the end of the night, what other pulls do you attend?

Re: ESP Langford Results August 09, 2010 09:22AM
I have been to pulls from Booneville 2 new york state fair 2 troy pa 2 smrthport 2 dunkirk and every esp pull in between and most ny pulls in between some good some bad but the showdown was the worst 15 tractors in 2 plus hours is not a good idea u tried it now let it rest i'm sure the fire dept can do better try 2 save a few bucks and it will bite u in the butt thanks 4 your time

Langford Showdown August 02, 2010 10:17AM
The Langford/ New Oregon group would like your input on what you thought of the Langford Showdown. Lets hear from the fans & drivers on what your likes and dislikes were. Thanks

Re: Langford Showdown August 02, 2010 02:20PM
Well I thought the ESP Classes Were Great . The TWD was kinda sad but I've seen every ESP pull this year and it's understandable for the breakage some have had. As far as the showdown, well it sounded like a neat idea. But as was stated earlier the time spent between the classes setting up the sled was a bug downfall after the Super Farms. I also thought the second sled should have been used set up for next class, rotate it out an while that class ran setup for the following class. But to look at it from a couple of pullers point of views, it kind of stunk. If you were fortunate enough to make it into showdown you got your hook, but if you ran it hard enough to get in and hurt your machine and had to bow out or didn't find out till the hook there was an issue it didn't end up as a top 3 Light Super class, or Heavy Super classes.
Overall My thoughts were that I'd much rather seen 5 classes hook the usual double session then bring back top 3 from each class have maybe trophy for top 3 or a ring of Champions. That way there everyone get the same # number of hooks the fans see it and could enjoy a winning speech. I think I was out of the show about the same time I'd normally be leaving w/out watching the 3 or 4 classes of pro-farm guys come back w/same tractor w/just more weight on.
Sorry I don't mean any disrespect to the Pro-farm guys or Fans Just an opinion.

Re: Langford Showdown August 03, 2010 05:23AM
the 3 in a show down is a bad idea because it takes to long and most all of the other pullers only get one hook. in cobleskill the twd pullers had 3 hooks and the mod and ss guys had 2 hooks. many pullers that are usualy with esp went to cobleshill. have the ny pro pullers on saturday and 2 sesions of esp on sunday.m langford used to get a lot of pullers from outside ny and now they are not even getting all the esp pullers

Re: Langford Showdown August 03, 2010 12:50PM
it has been 20 yrs since we had hooks on saturday night at langford, the pull is still the cornerstone of our fundraising for the year but the saturday night jamboree is our prime night. all opinions are greatly appreciated but the department is always trying to think out of the box to add something different to the shows so it isnt the same old show from every weekend. unfortunately i wasnt able to be in town for the weekend this year and speaking not only from a firemans perspective, but also from being involved with esp for a number of years, i bet that everybody appreciated being home at a decent hour sunday night rather than well into monday morning. as far as the numbers in the esp classes it has only been recently that nytpa has had an event conflicting with ours (granted we have had the same first weekend in august pull for 60 plus years now) and it is understandable that some of the guys from out east would rather stay close to home regardless of number of hooks or purse money available. it was disappointing to hear only 2 big rigs showed up but what can you do. all in all the attempt was made to try something different for the fans again this year, notes will be taken and there will be something new next year im sure. thanks again to everybody that came and helped the Langford-New Oregon volunteer fire dept have another successful fundraiser! we will see everybody again August 6&7 2011!

Re: Langford Showdown August 06, 2010 04:05AM
i wish they could bring something back like the smoker series that draws some new and different tractors instead of just the same ol stuff. that was an amazing show when the smoker series was here just my thoughts and hopes

Re: Langford Showdown August 06, 2010 06:01AM
Yeah Id like to see it co-sanctioned with NYTPA. At least we would see some different tractors and trucks.Then the shootout would decide who the best in NY is.

Re: Langford Showdown August 06, 2010 10:55AM
we had the smoker series 2 years in a row and the first year was an amazing success, i believe there were 18-20 tractors registered in the class between all the series regulars and the top dogs from esp hss. it was the first time i had been able to see the controlled chaos and warpath tractors. unfortunately the next year we had them back we only had 6-8 that committed from the series to come up for the weekend. it was time to try another different route. more options will be discussed for next year.

Re: Langford Showdown August 08, 2010 11:26AM
Dan
Hope this was the first and last for the Showdown. Have heard alot of complaints, and don't
know what to say to people. Langford has always put on the best show, but this year they
dragged out the showdown, and it was very boring. Hoping next year is better!

Re: Langford Showdown August 08, 2010 01:35PM
langford native, im sure you and your ideas would be welcomed at the next L&NOvfd meeting to discuss your thoughts on how you can help improve the show. it was a new idea, its a good idea, there is a good chance the showdown will happen again but it will be better prepared. like everything it needs to be ran to know where the bugs are. thanks! Jeff Schmitz

Re: Langford Showdown August 08, 2010 04:38PM
Jeff,

This is just my $.02 and I didn’t go to Langford this year, but I’ve been there many times in years past and you’ve put on some great shows. The feedback I’ve gotten from talking with numerous pullers and a few fans is that they appreciated the attempt to try something new, but ALL agreed that the Showdown experiment was not good from either the fans or the pullers standpoint. I'm sure there were some who liked it but I didn't talk with anyone who prefered it over a two session event.

My opinion as a fan… I went to Langford for years as a kid and one of the reasons was the double session. My father and I could go and hang out the entire day and we would get our money’s worth… well his moneys worth anyway. It was awesome to watch the full show during the day and watch it again during the night under the lights. I remember seeing some PA guys like Lustik, Dambach, and Oswald bring up the Super Steeler, Firefox, and Keystone Cop and it was like a whole different world to see these two D-21’s and a Case I’d never seen before. I don’t know if those pullers were personally invited or if they just decided to join the WNYTPA event but it made for a great show.

The last time went to Langford was the first year you brought the smokers series to the event. It was new and different and it offered variety. It was ESP plus 25% extra excitement. The Showdown is ESP minus 75% since you only see 3 per class.

Personally, as a local fan I want to see the ESP regulars hook two sessions and maybe send out some personal invites to guys from PA, OH, MD, etc… have some people in your organization personally call some guys who fit the ESP rules and see how you can encourage them to come to your event. There’s just nothing like a personal invitation a month or two in advance and maybe a followup call a few weeks out that might get a few tractors to bring in some new blood. Everyone loves to see the locals battle it out with the out-of-towners, head to head in a sanctioned class, not just an exhibition hook/side show. I know a few new and different tractors made a huge difference for me as a kid.

If possible move the entire schedule an hour forward. It will make the show a little more family friendly by ending a tad sooner. Also make show efficiency a priority, let the track officials and pullers know that you don’t want to screw around and that you want a quickly run show.

From your comments it seems you guys have almost decided to go with the same Showdown format next year, but I encourage you to please take some of these people’s comments into consideration. I’d also encourage you to look at the Cobleskill NYTPA results; I personally think the shootout hurt your numbers as many pullers saw the guarantee of two or three hooks in Cobleskill too good to pass up.

Just my $.02

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Need more chicken..... August 03, 2010 08:04AM
Guys, you need more of that squirrel's chicken. Being sold out before 6 pm is not good. I wanted 6 dinners for my crew and have always got them around 6pm. Not this year.....

Re: Need more chicken..... August 03, 2010 12:54PM
i will relay this to the the people it needs to be addressed to. the guys behind the scenes in the chicken coupe do an amazing job every year. hands down the best BBQ chicken dinner in western new york!

Re: Need more chicken..... August 03, 2010 01:42PM
just a thought. have you ever considered a 3 day show? run the pro farms friday night. concert saturday. then finish the weekend off with esp sunday. i would think you could generate more camping interest with friday thru sunday. another day of food and beverage sales as well. just a thought

Re: Need more chicken..... August 03, 2010 02:11PM
That would be ALOT of work....Pull track>Stage>Pull track...........I dont envy the firemen at all for their setup NOW.!! These guys work way too hard as it is just trying to get the track in order after the jamboree!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009