Interesting Topic - Pit Passes August 09, 2010 02:37PM
I have seen a couple posts on here about pit passes and just would like all opinions from both pullers/team members and fans as it brings up an interesting point. Its about opinions and there is no right or wrong answers in my book. Let's look at it this way; a "team member" is the driver or anyone who turns a wrench on the pulling machine. Let's include the families of said members as well. And I think "fans" speaks for itself and not considering those who are trying to get in under the pulling team's pass...haha.

I only bring this up because of the interesting/unexpected experience I had this past weekend. Mind you, the only big pull I have been to is Henry where you pay one price and you get access to everything. Everything also encompasses 4 to 5 dozen different pulling vehicles to look at on a grand national scale. I took my 4-yr old son to our local county fair in Bloomington, IL on Thurs. night. We paid the fair admission price, grandstand admission price, so we were in our seats for $20/25 dollars. We got there about an hour early thinking I may get a chance to take him into the pits to see the tractors close up. I think that is part of the thrill of a pulling event for kids and adults alike. We were told it would be $15 for each of us. I was rather surprised by that so we respectfully declined and went back to our seats. By no means was I, nor am I now, mad that everything had an individual price because it is understandable to me. Some people just don't want to be in the pits, no big deal. Ultimately, we would have spent a similar amount of money at the ITPA event to see 4 real pro stocks, 3 real 8200 super stocks, and a number of minis through two classes, limited pros as we would to see the huge number of pulling machines from a national circuit pull such as a Henry.

With all that being said, is that a normal trend across the country where everything has a price or is it a package deal? Is this similar to state/county fair pulls versus pulls on either of the grand national circuits?

Pullers: Do you prefer to have fewer people in the pits so you do not have to spend as much time talking with fans? Worrying about tools disappearing or anyone "messing" with your pulling vehicle, or having to hear BS/tall tails (for instance)? Basically spend more time getting your vehicle and/or yourself prepared for the pull? Or, do you enjoy having the fans in unlimited numbers in the pits, as it is part of the experience for you?

Fans: Do you prefer to pay one price and get the "full meal deal" or would you prefer to "piece meal" your experience together?

Promoters: The one component I didn't mention earlier is that of liability. Is there an added cost for having open pits? What if a charge keeps most out of the pits? I assume it is different for each facility maybe based on insurance costs and experience.

If there was anything I missed due to my lack of knowledge, please forgive me. My reason for throwing this thread up is to gain more experience and learn from others what to expect. I just want to make my experience as well as that of my children the best I can. Thank you to all, especially the pullers who make this so much fun.

Re: Interesting Topic - Pit Passes August 09, 2010 03:05PM
This is an excellent topic. I personally think the pits should be open to all spectators at all the events.

Let’s take Louisville for example: Broadbent Arena is a mad house full of pullers and fans that are trying to get a close up look at tractors and to talk with the pullers. It’s as crowded and as exciting as any event and walking the pits is a huge part of the experience. The more spectators get to interact with the sport the more they feel attached to the sport. The personal attachment will keep the fans coming back year after year.

I became friends with some pullers simply because my father and I would see them year after year as we walked through the pits. That connection made us root for those teams. It made us want to follow those teams when we knew they were going out of town. It was the open pits that made pulling so great for me as a kid. Open pits is where kids and adults can marvel at the engineering that goes into these vehicles. Seldom do you get to see side shields off at events if all you get to do is sit in the stands. If you get to walk the pits you might just see what a 4-turbo 3-stage setup actually looks like. You’ll get to marvel at how all that is stuffed under the hood.

The on-track competition is great, but for me the pit conversation and the observation is just as enjoyable.

The more that fans interact and connect the better that event will be, and open pits allows that.

I’m a one price full access guy.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Interesting Topic - Pit Passes August 09, 2010 08:35PM
Ditto on open pits, but selling pit passes is good money for promoters , as some go for $35 dollars each. I think promoters like less people in the pits so they need less personnel to watch them and less ins problems. But they sure add to the show and every person in the pits have the potential to spend money on food, shirts, etc!

Re: Interesting Topic - Pit Passes August 10, 2010 12:21AM
I think open pits are a good idea. One price for full access. I do not mind talking to fans, letting them take pictures with the tractor or any of that. We all need to remember without the fans paying a price to see the show we will have no where to pull and have fun!

Re: Interesting Topic - Pit Passes August 10, 2010 01:14AM
just buy a pit pass when you get there, a pit pass will in most places also get you into the grand stands. just ask when you get there.

Re: Interesting Topic - Pit Passes August 10, 2010 02:22AM
Our insurance reads that only drivers and mechanics are allowed in the pits. If you read that form you sign about everywhere that is what it says. but how do we know that you arent? Charging for pit passes is really the only way a small county fair is able to have a sanctioned event (lucas oil or NTPA) just because the cost is so high and this helps offset it.. The previous poster is right though 99% of places allow grandstand admission with an armband. (or pit pass)

Re: Interesting Topic - Pit Passes August 10, 2010 02:57AM
Look at Mead Co. KY, a two day Grandnational event, 8 dollars to get in, and everything included. The Stands are full, everyone is involved, carry in coolers allowed, and one of the best shows you can go to, and never any promblems that I know of. Alot of promoters a fairs need to take a look at how brandenburgh operate and take notes, because the more fans you get in the stands the more money you can offer, the better the show can be, don't be gready, and the money will eventually come in by Numbers!!! Thanks brandenburgh and Meade Co. Fair.

Re: Interesting Topic - Pit Passes August 10, 2010 02:50AM
We enjoy meeting the fans and talking with them. That is part of the fun of it. Before we built our tractor we enjoyed meeting and talking to the pullers as well! As far as tools disappearing, rude people, etc, we haven't had many bad experiences. Most people are very respectful. I think one price should cover it all.

Re: Interesting Topic - Pit Passes August 10, 2010 02:52AM
As a puller, it's a pleasant experience to be able to talk to someone that's looking over your machine, unless you are pressed for time getting ready. It's fine if you have plenty of space in the pits, but if it's a confined area it can be a little too crowded to maneuver through the mass of humanity and other tractors.

As a fan, such as at Bowling Green, it's a great opportunity to not only admire the engineering and see the latest products from vendors in the pit area, but also to get ideas for the tractor I pull. So at an event with such a high caliber of competition and plenty of room, open pits or "the full meal deal" is a no brainer. Although the reserve seating there is really just a ticket hike, it's understandable to prevent people from roping off a whole section of bleachers a week ahead of time.

On a related note, I've been to some places that charge the pullers for a pit pass, but get that much of a discount on their first registration fee. That's okay with me, since I'm not really paying more, it's just spread out a little bit. Another fair charges for the pit pass then again for the registration with no discount. To me this is just asinine. It drives away pullers. Nobody ever made money just pulling a tractor in the long run, but I don't think anyone likes being ripped off, especially when they (the pullers) are the ones putting on the show.

Re: Interesting Topic - Pit Passes August 10, 2010 04:29AM
What I dont like is that I have to pay to get my family to watch me pull. We get 4 passes with the tractor. So, 2 drivers and their wives get the passes. Then I have to pay to get my kids into the pull when we are there helping put on their show. When you have 4 kids it adds up fast. Especially when you have several pulls a week.

Re: Interesting Topic - Pit Passes August 10, 2010 04:45AM
Pulling isn't all that fun if you don't have spectators in the pits wanting to talk or get pictures. It certainly isn't a money making deal for most. JW

Re: Interesting Topic - Pit Passes August 10, 2010 05:43AM
I enjoy having folks in the pits checking out the truck, asking questions etc. But I do not like it when they refuse to get out of the way as you are trying to get to or off of the track. I've had some teenagers and 20somethings refuse to move out of the way when they see you coming and give me that look that says "go ahead and hit me, I dare you". That's when I wish they would keep the fans out of the pits.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2010 07:49AM by HorsinAround.

Re: Interesting Topic - Pit Passes August 10, 2010 06:46AM
I agree with HorsinAround. It would be nice if more pulls did things like the local circle burners. They have an open pit before and after the races but during the races the pits are closed. This gives the pullers time to do what needs to be done but also a social time so that the fans feel the whole experience.

I also do not agree with pullers/immediate family having to pay to get into the pull. We are there for the show. I also realize that some people take advantage of this too.

Re: Interesting Topic - Pit Passes August 10, 2010 09:15AM
Whoever comes in the truck should get in for free to the pits. Everybody else should have to pay either regular ticket price, or maybe a few dollars more to get into the pits. Or something like that.

Re: Interesting Topic - Pit Passes August 10, 2010 09:26AM
Good topic.I pull with two different state associations and we always have open pits.Its fun to visit with the fans and have them take pictures of your puller.When I go to national level pulls to watch I love to go to the pits to take pictures and look things over.I'm always respectful of the pullers and their equipment.

I have trouble understanding the NTPA-Outlaw pull at Jeff City,MO.For the past couple of years the south pit around the grandstand is open but the north pit is closed.Why is this? The pits at Macon,MO are always open no matter whom is putting the pull on.

Re: Interesting Topic - Pit Passes August 10, 2010 10:35AM
We love to be able to go to the pits and see all the pullers, we also know enough not to be in the way, or bother them if they are working on something.. Some people don't understand that.. a true fan is respectful, and in return the puller is respectful to the fan! And I agree with maybe a small fee to get in the pits, that is if you didn't pay 15 to 20 bucks to get in the pull!..

Re: Interesting Topic - Pit Passes August 10, 2010 10:41AM
Any time a fan wants a picture we ask for the camera and put em in the drivers seat, the smiles are well worth it. Pit passes are usually driver + one, and 10.00 dollars each after that. We had a couple pulls charge 20.00 and only the driver in free, that really adds up fast.

Re: Interesting Topic - Pit Passes August 10, 2010 11:42AM
I always look forward to walking the pits and seeing the the way things are put together, and talking with the driver To me it's one of the best parts of pulling to be that close to the equipment and have the drivers so accesible is great. I have found that if they're not busy most really seem like they don't mind talking. That being said $ 20.00 is a lot to walk around for an hour

Re: Interesting Topic - Pit Passes August 10, 2010 12:32PM
I like the open pit thing. The only time we have had trouble is at wisnor and the drunks steal the flashlights out of the back of the mule while its hooked to the tractor. Then u chase them down they claim its theirs. And when u ask them where they got the CIPC sticker they don't know.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,778, Posts: 229,951, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,035.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009