best way to shorten axle shafts January 18, 2011 12:58PM
Is there a good way to cut off the ends of axle shafts without removing them from tractor? I have an IH 1066 with really long axles and need to trim them. Is this something I can do with a gas axe or am I just asking for trouble? Thanks for the help and thanks to Jake for an awesome website!!

Re: best way to shorten axle shafts January 18, 2011 01:14PM
If you have a chop saw in your garage, or shed, set that up, tape a broom to the handle of the chopsaw to act like a weight, clamp it on the axle, turn it on, and walk away.... make sure you cover up your axle seal area with wet cloth... and keep it wet.. Just to make sure you don't get it to warm right there and wreck the seal.

Also i've saw a cement saw used with a grinding wheel in it... both ways work good, and are fairly quick... You'll be surprised at how heavy the axle chunk is that you cut off...

Re: best way to shorten axle shafts January 18, 2011 01:14PM
Chopsaw is quick and easy

Re: best way to shorten axle shafts January 18, 2011 01:15PM
You can use a gas axe but dont get the axle seal to hot and burn it out. Do a little at a time. I prefer a portable band saw. It leaves a very clean nice cut. Good luck

Re: best way to shorten axle shafts January 18, 2011 02:12PM
I've heard that rotating the axle while you use the chop saw will get through it quicker. THe outside is hardest, so once you get past that it can really bite quickly. But I haven't tried it yet myself....

Re: best way to shorten axle shafts January 18, 2011 02:24PM
I have cut my axle's off twice with a chop saw. Like "chop saw" said, wet rag around the axle by the seal, cut slow, and I had to stop every 10 min. or so and use a grinder wheel dresser to the blade to take of a bit of the wheel, mine seemed to be glazing, maybe pushing too hard. Took me about an hour per side, must of not hurt anything, axle still working.

Re: best way to shorten axle shafts January 18, 2011 03:37PM
chop saw works great! i rotated the axles took bout half hour per side. and periodically ran a piece of strap steel across the blade to clean it. i have also cut axles with the tractor in gear. (that was at work i doubt that was OSHA safe lol!)

Re: best way to shorten axle shafts January 18, 2011 03:47PM
Yaa, up here in the nort, we use de cut off saw AND we turn the axle shaft at de same time!
We let the axle cool off when we back de tracter back up cuz we ran out of extension cord and de cut off saw a come unplugged.
We save up de axle cutting for de winter time, so's we don't a hafta worry aboot heat nun.
Nuttin else ta do up here besides ice fishin and sleddin' in de winter.
Oh, and keep da toes outta the way when the extra axle part falls off! Ole lost a toe last winter and he missed being on Big Joe Polka Show, and he had free tickets.
His wife took me to da show!
Den she hadda baby aboot 9 months later and it sorta looks like me, and a little like de mail man. De mail man is my brudder.

Re: best way to shorten axle shafts January 18, 2011 03:51PM
LOLOLOLOL, a little hard to read, but funny.

Re: best way to shorten axle shafts January 18, 2011 04:48PM
I think I just read a masterpiece....LOL

Re: best way to shorten axle shafts January 18, 2011 05:26PM
we used a thin cutoff wheel on a 9 in. grinder. works good. took about 15 min per side.

Re: best way to shorten axle shafts January 19, 2011 12:21AM
bein from da up nort mself, I had no problem at all reading that post!! Usually duing an operation like this we cut the cord off once or twice just because that's how we do things up here. Sorry to here that Ole had to miss Big Joe, I hope he didnt miss the one with Stash Bulanda or the Melody Notes, ya hey. Thanks for the replies, I forgot to mention I'm going to try this with the tire and wheel on as well. I'm off to the shop now, if I'm lucky the sparks will get to my accordion and the shed and all will burn down.

Re: best way to shorten axle shafts January 24, 2011 06:02AM
Have tried chop saw a couple times, found 6" cut off wheels and a grinder work much faster, blade is thinner so it
cut faster and alot less heat. takes a couple wheels but wel worth the time saved.

Re: best way to shorten axle shafts January 24, 2011 12:02PM
this REALLY isnt all that hard................... think about it even for a second.............. Heat WILL cause you a "pinching" problem sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo rotate the axle slowly and constantly and cutting with a chopsaw and it will be cut in just a few minutes................ I do it all the time.

Re: best way to shorten axle shafts January 24, 2011 02:42PM
How long is your extension cord?
We pooled ours together but only have a hunnerd feet. That is long enough, cuz we are tired chasing tractor that far! Much longer cord and we get too far from the beer!
Kinda nice with all the tractor runnin noise, and the grinder a runnin, we can't heer the wimmin folks whinin cuz we don't have our house chores done.
Since Ole broke his toe, we let him drive the tractor now.
Looks like the weekend commin up will be nice weather, so we may try and cut an axle or two after the stupendous bowl. If'n we kin walk then.
Last year we had a bit of a problem after watchin the stupendous bowl, we had drank way too much beer, and we went to cut an axle off a tractor, and got on the wrong side of the hub!
Lemme tell ewe, when that tractor tipped and the tire tipped the same way, ol Lester a started squeeling like a stuck pig, he was a stuck in there pretty tight! Lester tips the scales at the Co-Op at over 6 hunnert pounds, the tractor's a runnin and the tires is a tippin and we didn't know what tew do, so we called 911 and had 'em send the ambulance, well, they had been a watchin the stupendous bowl 2, and wasn't in much better shape than us, but between them, the fire department, and a bus load of nuns that was passin by, we got the tractor and tire off Lester. Luckilly nothing on the tractor got bent, so we let the ambulance take Lester.
Did yew know that ambulances charge by the pound?
Man was Lester's wife mad !
Glad we hafta have roll cages now, the driveway we use to cut the axles has a big tree with a low hanging limb, if yew aren't careful, that'll snatch yew right offa the tractor,
Yorgie Yorgenson used2 drive the tractors while we cut the axles, but he kept forgettinjg aboot the limb, and he would get knocked off 4 or 5 times an afternoon.
Well, after the 4th time one afternoon, he fell on the dog that was chasin us, and scart the dog and he went wild and bit his ear off! (Yorgie bit the dogs ear off that is), and he aint been right since. (the dog that is). So when we quit letting Yorgie drive, he quit commin around 2 help. He never brought any beer anyways.

Re: best way to shorten axle shafts January 24, 2011 06:15PM
gots to be careful wit da cuttin machine. my cuttin wheel got kinda pinched once. da grinder jumped backards one time at me and i'll be jiggered ifin it did'nt whack off part of me wee wee. i showed me wife Olga now she mad at me. she said the little feller was none too long to begin wit, now he even shorter than used to be!!

ollie,s home video? January 24, 2011 10:28PM
[www.youtube.com]
Would this ollie's family?

Re: ollie,s home video? January 24, 2011 11:40PM
Definitely looks like his last birthday party, but to be honest I don't remember much after the fight.........

Re: ollie,s home video? January 25, 2011 12:46AM
thats the first time I ever saw home movies of Fatboy and the Mondovi Mafia summer picnics

Re: ollie,s home video? January 25, 2011 02:08AM
it aint us cuz we aint got one a dose fancy lynx snow moater cars........well maybe fatboy does.....think? or no?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2011 02:11AM by Dave Pfund.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,766, Posts: 229,932, Members: 3,337.
This forum: Topics: 37,095, Posts: 226,025.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM