Hauler Question January 23, 2011 07:05AM
I'm looking to get a different truck to pull my gooseneck trailer. I'm currently using a pickup. Is or has anyone used a med-duty truck, like a GM C4500,C5500, Ford F650, F750, International 4700 crew cab? Has anyone ran into problems with these size trucks? Opnions? What kinda fuel mileage?
Thanks

Re: Hauler Question January 23, 2011 07:44AM
dave i was in same situation my pick up was geting old and just wasnt reliable to take on those 300 mile road trips anymore i didnt want to spend 50000 for a new pick up so i went to my local freightliner dealership and bought a lease return for 18000 tandem axle with a bunk 515 hp 10 speed trans,you dont even know the tractor is back there fuel is about 7,8 mpg you dont have to have your foot in it and i use it on the farm also to haul grain,works great!

Re: Hauler Question January 23, 2011 07:47AM
I know a guy who has a 4500 Chev. Burnt a piston in it last year because he had a mod and 2wd on the trailer but all in all its an alright truck. Not sure what the fuel economy is

Re: Hauler Question January 23, 2011 08:30AM
I went through this last year- decided to quit using (abusing) my dually to haul around 30k of tractors and trailer. I bought a FL70 Freightliner with a 60" sleeper, air ride/air brake and a C series Cummins. They can be found cheap. This one had 190,000 on it, so should last forever for the 2-3000 miles a year that I will put on it. I sold the gooseneck and bought an older drop deck trailer with a beaver tail and ramps, so now I don't have to worry about safety or legality. The truck is tagged and insured as an RV for a total of $400/year. Worth every penny to me to keep the miles and abuse off my expensive dually.

Re: Hauler Question January 23, 2011 09:27AM
Same thing here, stopped using pickup and bought 6500 kodiac,c-7 cat. Gets 12 mpg and is a lot safer then pickup. Also had semi but some places were hard to get into.

Re: Hauler Question January 23, 2011 12:41PM
A semi with a sleeper is nice, but I could see myself using the med-duty truck with a crew cab more often. It would mostly pull a flat bed gooseneck to the pulls or pull a stock trailer a couple times a year. Don't have a grain trailer. I might take it to work once every couple weeks to keep everything fresh. I am at the point of trading my truck in for a new one or getting a larger truck.

Re: Hauler Question January 27, 2011 02:36AM
try alan babelle he has a nice chev with low miles he is thinking of selling

Re: Hauler Question January 23, 2011 12:43PM
We have an 06 4500 GMC four door that we have used for the last two years and it has worked very well. We liked it well enough that we bought another one with a small living quarters on it. We do have the four door truck for sale if you might be interested. It was on this sites for sale page.

S'no Farmer

Re: Hauler Question January 23, 2011 12:49PM
S'no Farmer.. I seen your truck and its a Very sharp truck. My wife and I both looked at your ad several times, but I'm not going to B.S. you, its out of our price range.

Re: Hauler Question January 24, 2011 01:08AM
No worries, just wanted to mention it to you. If you find one in your price range it should work very well. We used the one we bought with the living quarters to take a trip to FL pulling a 48' trailer with two cars plus a bunch of other stuff and it worked great. These trucks feel much more solid than a dually when pulling a big load even though the drivetrain is the same as any GM product (they do have heavier rear axles) with the Duramax.

S'no Farmer

Re: Hauler Question January 24, 2011 12:48PM
How did u have it licensed? Do you have CDL's? Thanks! Good Luck this season!

Re: Hauler Question January 24, 2011 03:50PM
Holman brothers use an IH with DT 466 and toterhome built on it and seem to really like it.
I liked my 400 Cummins !!

Re: Hauler Question January 25, 2011 11:29AM
We just had regular truck tags on it and yes I beleave you should have a CDL but we didn't. The new one has RV tags and we don't need a CDL.

S'no Farmer

Re: Hauler Question January 25, 2011 11:45AM
Has anybody ever looked into a hotshot truck. Used ones seem pretty reasonable. They have living quarter right in them. Some even have sink/shower. wondering if it would be hard to RV one.

Re: Hauler Question January 25, 2011 11:04PM
Don't see many hot shots around anymore. The ones I have seen were just dually pickups. The Med duty trucks they are talking about above are much safer when hauling. Bigger than a pickup, but yet smaller than a semi. To be considered an RV there are a list of items and you need so many on the list to be considered an RV. Some guys have been really creative.

Re: Hauler Question January 25, 2011 11:50PM
I have a 1973 peterbilt with a single axel with RV tags
I would like to sell
It gets abought 10 mpg and is a very sharp truck
lots of chrome
big pipes
60" flat top
air ride

And a 37' enclosed trailer if interested

Re: Hauler Question January 26, 2011 02:08AM
how much for the truck Brian?
That is a 903 cummins correct?

Re: Hauler Question January 26, 2011 04:29AM
There is pictures on pulling depot for sale page
$11.000 for truck
Yes it does hav a 903 that runs very good and a 13speed and 411 rear with air ride

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,752, Posts: 229,904, Members: 3,335.
This forum: Topics: 37,090, Posts: 226,006.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM