Dot compliance February 08, 2011 12:24PM
Ok guys what do you do? We have a pickup and a 40' goose we use to hall our mini and pit vehical with. I tried to do the DOT number with all the inspections and Hell forsaken paper work yearly phisical ect. ect. ect. I've let this slide and not sure I'm up for this anymore. I've seen guys register there stuff as an RV Ive seen guys do nothing. We cross state lines which make the issue even worse or risky of getting caught with or paints down. I'm just curious what some of you do if anything.

Re: Dot compliance February 08, 2011 02:10PM
If you are thinking of RV plates your state has a list of things required to be registered as an RV. After you meet those requirements and an inspection then you can get RV plates. Other than that you most likely are subject to CDL and DOT regulations as commercial rules apply.

Re: Dot compliance February 08, 2011 02:59PM
I have RV licens in Mo. which is fine but IOWA don't reckinise them they said I was a commercial carrier. Didn't get a ticket but a 1/2 hr lecture and told not to come through his scales again so I don't I go around.
Best thing to do is play dumb and go. MACK

Re: Dot compliance February 08, 2011 03:07PM
Iowa seems to be one of the harshest states. And I don't know why they won't recognize other state's RV plates? Many pullers have gone out of state to get RV plates on their hauler just avoid jumping through IA's hoops. What else did they find on your trip that didn't comply RV?

Re: Dot compliance February 08, 2011 03:17PM
Fuel and water containers were in sight(not DOT approver) 1 mile over my 100 mile radious plus alot of other things.
I O W A= I Otta Went Around MACK

Re: Dot compliance February 08, 2011 03:34PM
It's all about revenue boy's.......Gonna get alot worse before it gets better. Gov't wont be happy till no one is working and we are all standing around looking for a hand out. Can't afford to work hard or play hard anymore with all the rules and regs they want us to follow.........Don't comply send in a big check!!!!!!!

Re: Dot compliance February 09, 2011 02:48AM
I use a 1 ton ford van with car plates pulling a 24ft box trailer, works great and never slow down for a weigh station ever.

Re: Dot compliance February 09, 2011 05:55AM
I dont go through iowa but have a cdl got pulled over in MI with my semi that i pull a 48 ft hauler with . Had a farm plate on it the dot took my plate and red tagged me for it . Called the state to see what the law was told them exactly what i was doing they said my plate was legal asked to get it in writen so i wouldnt have that prob again thats when they said they couldnt do that for me . I figure they just want to buy another plate so they can take it again . atleast if u could get the rules in written you could try to follow them . i dont have a prob playen by the rules but when you dont know them its hard to follow.

Re: Dot compliance February 09, 2011 06:55AM
It's all about interpretation. Belive it or not you hardly ever get the same answer from 2 different DOT inspecters. They read the same book but interpert the rules different. I had a run in with dot over a bug shield on a truck with 900,000 miles on it. (shield was on since new and truck had 3 cvsa stickers from various states) This inspector decided it was to tall and made me take it off. Rule said it was ok height wise, but he said rule was written wrong in his mind. Keep arguing and have even more problems. This is just one instance but happens all the time. Big gov't is great...... HOPE and CHANGE!!!!!!

Re: Dot compliance February 09, 2011 10:01AM
I got pulled over about ten years ago with a little half ton truck with car plates on it. State pooper scooper made me scale the truck and gave me a ticket for being over weight. Just me and Moma in the truck. I was blown away. There's your tax dollars at work boys! Wife was so pissed at me for being "cheep" she wouldn't even look at me the whole way home Smiling

Re: Dot compliance February 09, 2011 11:05AM
richard rockefeller had the best deal on this i have seen, it may be in the archives from way back. His name on here is the policy peddler, look it up and see what the law he had states and it is a federal law holds up anywhere with the judge anyway.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009