A V8 in Superfarm? March 01, 2011 09:22AM
I am planning on building an 1155 massey into a superfarm. it has the 540 v8. i have been told the 3x3 turbo cant feed it and that the stroke is too short. but what if i take the 4.75 crank out and put in a stroked 5.5in crank and bore the cylinders from 4.25 to 4.40 which would put me at 639. would this give me the stroke to compete? im not looking to beat the ih's and jd's but would like to get them a little scared! any thoughts are appreciated because building a off colour tractor for this class is quite the challenge. Thanks!

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 01, 2011 09:44AM
Batliners have ran the V-8 in the superfarm class.

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 01, 2011 10:01AM
does anyone have a contact for them? i havent been able to find one email preferably

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 01, 2011 11:01AM
Batliners are from Flyod Knob Indiaian... best i can tell you..

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 01, 2011 11:16AM
Build a 4.1 limited pro or a light pro stock, you will make alot more power and will be better off in the end. Need a billet crank to even have a chance of it handling the torque it takes to compete in a superfarm. You wouldn't need a billet crank in light pro, you could spin it up and take some torque off the crankshaft. Just my two cents, but I have seen many guys throw alot of money at what your talking about doing, and could have had a pro stock for the money the spent on a superfarm.

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 01, 2011 11:20AM
AMEN

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 01, 2011 12:16PM
John Raymond from NY spent several years running an IH superfarm with the V8. He also spent most of those years putting it back together after finding out that it doesn't stay together at the top of the rpm curve.

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 01, 2011 12:51PM
Who had the 3208 cat in the limited pro on pulling depo? thought it was a oliver not sure what model tho... how does he run??

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 01, 2011 12:55PM
being a massey lover is tough when the only competitive class in the area is superfarm (im from canada, chatham ontario and the only classes in my area are 6-9 000 mod farm and super farm)

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 02, 2011 12:29AM
Calton Cope's Warpath was a super farm before it was a pro, I heard he gave up because the turbo was to small. If anyone would know about what your trying to do he would. Google "tractor depot" in Salem ohio.

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 02, 2011 02:03PM
Copes Massey was never a super farm tractor it has always been a pro

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 02, 2011 12:58AM
I bought Batliner's v-8 two years ago, put a 4.4 charger on it and put it in Crutchfield's original Brutal Force chassis that I purchased from Marty Harrell (Pure Country in North Carolina) and made a few passes the past 2 summers. The problem with the perkins v-8 in the superfarm as stated already is the crankshaft which has a large oil hole in the rear main journal area, too much torque and it will twist off at that hole. The billet crank should solve that issue. Next is the air issue, and if you decide to go ahead with the project, I would offer you the intake and exhaust manifolds that I have off Batliner's engine, they have had extensive work done to them. I also have contact information for Batliners, Cope, Crutchfield, and Luke Miller in Illinois that I would share if you are serious about the project. Tim Davis, Oxford, NY

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 03, 2011 10:29AM
Tim
is there any chance you will make more runs this year than years past? I think it would be great to see a massey run consistantly with nytpa.

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 04, 2011 12:21AM
It's not likely the Massey will be back together this year but hopefully we can have a good season next year.

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 04, 2011 02:17AM
What does the massey from Lacrosse run seen it a couple years ago in tohma

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 01, 2011 02:26PM
the answer is still----dont do it--dont do it--dont do it------its got heartache written all over it!!!

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 01, 2011 03:05PM
There is a Valmet engine for sale on the classifieds page... either that or a big Sisu. hahaha

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 01, 2011 11:13PM
by my math 4.4 bore and 5.5 stroke is 669.

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 02, 2011 12:54AM
The Batliners from Floyd Knobs IN, spent a hole lot of money over the years and had one of the best running v-8s around in superfarm but I think they just got tired of spending money on the V-8 to keep it going. They have now instelled a new in line 6 cylinder engine and have had much more succsess with the there tractor. They run a Massey Fergouson dealership in Floyd Knobs IN, you could Google it and probably get a phone number.

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 02, 2011 01:33AM
Call Jarod Fink Darlington Wisc. has a 640 MF pro farm 3x4 intercooler runs and competes very well, check Badger State Tractor Pullers web

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 02, 2011 01:42AM
Yup, you are right. 4.3 x 5.5 would be 639.

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 02, 2011 01:50AM
Hey 3688sf, my hats off to you. Trying to be different and try something new. Love the spirit and the willingness to try it. Go for it.

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 02, 2011 03:34AM
I think to get the Perkins 540 to perform in SF you need to concentrate on spinning it. I think people concentrate on torque in the class because they're convinced that they need to be as close to 640 as possible, and for their engines - they probably do.

I think the Perkins 540 can spin faster than an IH or a JD and can only perform with a 3x3 if they have smaller cubes, more fuel and water and flow it faster.

My uneducated 2cts.

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 02, 2011 06:35AM
i think you hit the nail on the head with that one.

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 02, 2011 11:55AM
I think that's true of most V8s in pulling, you need "get it upstairs" to make them run good. It's why you almost never see a V8 in a 3000 RPM class. Whereas a straight 6 would make good torque at that range, V8s don't come alive unless you are north of 3K. So if an I-6 SF spins 4500 RPM (as an example), would it be safe to say a SF V8 needs to turn 5000-5500 RPM?

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 02, 2011 01:17PM
I have been following the Batliners for years and know for a fact that the V-8 will not compete in the superfarm class. If it was possible then they would still be trying. The problem with the V-8 is that the stroke is not possible and the torque curve is not it the right area for the superfarm turbo. While yes it is true that if you give the V-8 RPM it will run with the best of them. Carlton Cope has proven this, but to get that RPM with the V-8 big air is needed. The 3" turbo for the superfarm class will not support big RPM and when you go for that low end torque on a V-8 the crank twists off behind #8 cylinder and rods start putting holes in the sides of your block. This is mostly the reason they went to the 8.4 Sisu engine because the factory stroke is I think 5.7". In my opinion if you are going to spend the money on a superfarm then do it right the first time and go with the Sisu. It will be cheaper in the long run and produce less headache. Also the Batliners were able to put the Sisu engine into their current chassis that had the Perkins V-8. I have the contact phone number for the Batliners and will PM you this information if you like.

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 02, 2011 01:27PM
so if i go with the sisu then what rearend can i use? does it have to correspond with the engine? im new to all this and havent got my rulebook yet. its the ntpa rules. what sheetmetal would i have to run, i want to run 1155 sheetmetall or run new massey metal.

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 02, 2011 01:40PM
You should look into pulling with S.W Ontario tractor pullers I think they have a good starter class for you .
I think its 510 cubes or smaller,that would be your "cheapest" option.I think theres a link on this site to it.

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 02, 2011 01:44PM
thats the org i will be pulling with. that class has a very small purse though and i want to build a sf because i love the class and because i want to be able to cross the river and hop in some ntpa events

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 02, 2011 02:10PM
23sf hooks in the thumb(TTPA) as close as 20 minutes from the bridge

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 03, 2011 01:56AM
Looks like you are at least getting some constructive feedback here!!

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 02, 2011 02:46PM
It really bothers me that so many of you think that just because one person could not make something run that it can't be done. I think that a 640 or maybe even a 540 perkins could be made to run in the superfarm class very competitively it just takes a little different combination than the six cylinders. The problem with too many pullers is they want to be able to pick up the phone and order there cookie cutter six cylinder parts and not go the extra mile to design purpose built pieces. Yes the perkins will need a billet crank but most top superfarms are running them anyways. Go with the v8 but have your wallet ready because which ever engine you decide to use building a competitive superfarm isn't cheap. I know the little 3ers catch a lot of slack on here but that class is brutal on parts with the low rpm and high torque they put out.

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 02, 2011 05:45PM
Listen I'm just trying to help by giving some options. I love the V-8 as much as anyone else. The billet crank will not happen for a while because I'm sure Carlton Cope would be first in line. If you want to run the Sisu, the Batliners have a way to bolt it to the 1100 series Massey transmission and rear end. Also I'm pretty sure you can run updated sheet metal too. And again if you have a big enough wallet, tons or time, and an urge to beat your head against a wall for many years to come, try making a V-8 run and win in the superfarm class. If you do it successfully I'll be the first one in line to congratulate you on you accomplishment. And most likely when u are tired or out of money the Sisu will be waiting.

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 02, 2011 08:16PM
you can buy a billet crank for one right now. And I don't know for sure but I would think cope has one, there have been others made.

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 03, 2011 12:13AM
Who built the heads on Cope's tractor? , pretty awesome looking.

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 02, 2011 03:38PM
There are at least 5 or 6 guys that have tried it with little or no success!!!! Im one of the biggest mf fans you will ever find and i dont understand why anybody would want to go down this road at this point. im pretty sure that Brent Dixon already tried the long stroke small bore setup---but if you want to spend 30grand for a billet stroker crank--go ahead----getting it all to swing will be fun!

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 03, 2011 07:11AM
would it even be worth starting with this engine or should i just use the sisu instead. ultimately i wish there was a prostock class closer or even a LLSS where i could run the 354 or 365 on alcohol but im in a limited areaa.

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 03, 2011 07:56AM
If I were you I would be asking (call) someone who has first hand experience with the V8 Massey (like Carlton Cope/others) before going any farther. With the oil hole problem, you'd have $$$ (billet) in it before you got to the track to see if you could make it competitive. Perhaps they know someone who has had one on a dyno that could give you valuable input. Everyone has an opinion, but I like to hear them from someone who's been where you'd like to go. Personally- I don't think the engine will match the 3x3 turbo very well and will get under the turbo easy at the end of run. Smiling

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 03, 2011 09:42AM
Jarrod Fink has stock crank and more HP and tourqe than a ntpa SF no promblems runs good and is competitive and reliable. 6087763774

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 03, 2011 10:11AM
i would like to see it run. the best running one i have saw was the batliners. the sisu runs better.

Re: A V8 in Superfarm? March 03, 2011 10:13AM
pulls badger state and some isp

hey mark! March 03, 2011 10:26AM
Im not questioning Finks HP I have seen it run, but he is also running a 3x? (bigger than 3) and an intercooler im sure. So those varibles have to be accounted for!

Re: hey mark! March 03, 2011 03:15PM
Plain and simple, the V-8 will not win a superfarm class in today's Ntpa or Ppl. Why would u want to spend a boat load of money on the V-8 when it most likely wont win with a 3x3 turbo? The Sisu makes way more torque than the V-8 when running a superfarm setup. Why not spend the initial money on and engine that competes and can win. The first hook on the brand new Sisu motor the Batliners won their class with an NTPA setup against some very good running PPL tractors. Watch some of the YouTube videos and decide for yourself.

Re: hey mark! March 04, 2011 12:30AM
If you were to go with the v-8, you really need to do your homework on the crankshaft, some stock ones are better than others. If you were to go with the Sisu, you should know that the Batliner brothers are very, very smart men and very good machinists. The Sisu doesn't just bolt right up to your 1155 rearend, Batliners have a "one of" billet bellhousing that they created, it is quite the work of art. Bottom line, speaking from experience as I have a 640 v-8 all torn down right now due to a rod failing, if you want to be different, it will take time and money.

Re: hey mark! March 04, 2011 02:21PM
if you would like to be diffrent run a v8 if you would like to win some run a sisu. that is with a 3x3 .just my opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2011 02:22PM by IH.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,763, Posts: 229,924, Members: 3,337.
This forum: Topics: 37,095, Posts: 226,020.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM