LSS Results Sandwich September 11, 2011 08:27AM
Anyone have them. NTPA site doesn't show this class at either session.

Re: LSS Results Sandwich September 11, 2011 09:15AM
Dave, look in latest results

Re: LSS Results Sandwich September 11, 2011 09:17AM
Did but the LSS results for both sessions is blank

Re: LSS Results Sandwich September 11, 2011 10:12AM
The NTPA site is very confusing, why to much going on. Time for a redo. I tried to put up the results for Sandwich and it takes you to the general results page, not very user friendly.

Link to NTPA results

Re: LSS Results Sandwich September 12, 2011 12:00AM
Dick, Dave, et. al.:

Here's a direct link to the complete Sandwich, IL results.

There are two distinct issues that you guys are having with the site. Dave, you likely checked for the Light Super results on Saturday afternoon before the class was posted (LSS ran third). That put a blank results page in your browser's cache, which it has been reloading and reloading since from your hard drive rather than NTPAPULL.com. Clear your browser's cache and force it to load the new page. Saturday evening, my cellular internet connection at the Sandwich Fair was terrible and I was unable to upload Live Results. I got Complete Results uploaded when I got back to the motel, so if anyone checked those pages during or shortly after the event, they too got blanks. Same cure: Clear your cache and reload the page.

Dick: You can't link directly to the results page because the pages I produce are embedded in a "wrapper." Upside: All of the surrounding graphics, sponsors, widgets, etc. load once and keep my pages light on server and bandwidth consumption. Downside: The URL doesn't change from page to page. (You'll note that my direct link above is a bare-bones, results-only page.) That setup is not likely to be revised soon, although the path for drilling down to the results pages you want might be.

Jon

Re: LSS Results Sandwich September 12, 2011 12:45AM
I totally agree with Dick, way too confusing to find results.

Re: LSS Results Sandwich September 12, 2011 06:27AM
Greg:

Click on Results-Standings, then Latest Results, then the event whose results you wish to view. If you have a simpler path in mind, please share it.

Jon

Re: LSS Results Sandwich September 12, 2011 01:19AM
How do you clear the cache?

Re: LSS Results Sandwich September 12, 2011 06:32AM
The operation of clearing the cache varies from browser to browser.

On the latest edition of Firefox, click the Firefox button, then choose Options...Options... and (I think) Privacy, then click the link in the middle and check the Cache as one of the items to be cleared.

On the older Firefox, click Tools...Options...Network and Clear Now.

On IE, it's Tools...Internet Options, then the General Tab and Delete Browsing History button.

Also, your browser may be set to clear the cache if you simply close and restart it. Try that first and see if the correct version of the page loads.

Jon

Re: LSS Results Sandwich September 12, 2011 06:38AM
Jon, I obviously have no better answer. I appreciate totally even having access to results in timely fashion, but I am pretty computer literate and really struggle getting results especially in close proximity to actual pull.

Re: LSS Results Sandwich September 12, 2011 02:05AM
I was able to get them all here in Michigan Saturday and yesterday. JW

NTPA web site- My opinion September 12, 2011 11:54PM
While appreciate the effort and time put into the site I feel that it’s to confusing for the average user. I would like to see a results page that is associated with the schedule. Look for the pull you want to view and if the event has been run put up a link to the results. It would also be nice to be able to copy the results, not sure why you can't. Also for some reason the page keeps scrolling for me, not sure why but I have to chase items I want to view.

I think when running a web site you always need to remember who your end user is, most people just want to open a page and view the contents, they don’t want to clear the cache or download the most current “upgrade” or any other thing, they just want information that is clear, easy to get at and current.

On a side note nobody does a better job than the NTPA on live results, timely information and putting up the most recent results. Just wish it was easier to find and read!

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: NTPA web site- My opinion September 13, 2011 01:41AM
Could not have said it better.

Re: NTPA web site- My opinion September 14, 2011 01:44AM
I guess I'm not all that computer savvy so bear with me. Why should you even have to clear the cache? I've never had to do that before with any other results or information. I get updated points (I think anyway) without clearing it. Why does the blank page that gets stored in my browsers memory come up blank when it isn't any more while other pages that have changed show the changes when opened?

Re: NTPA web site- My opinion September 14, 2011 02:19AM
Dave:

It's likely that no (or few) other websites you frequent have pages that exist before they have meaningful content. I decided to structure the pages I generate so that the links can be established at the beginning of the season (Grand National, By City, By Date, etc.) and will route you to an existing page, rather than give you a 404: Page Not Found error. Upside: No broken links. Downside: You can load a page "too early" and have it stick in your browser.

A technical aside: There is code that I can place on the pages that will cause some browsers to not store the pages in their cache, but the code is not universal and could be destructive (e.g., might work in Firefox but cause IE to crash). I figured the home office didn't need to take those kinds of phone calls (we've already had plenty of fun just getting the wrapper pages to load reasonably well in all browsers), so for now, you'll just have to keep clearing the cache.

As far as unifying the schedule and results, it's not realistic under current circumstances (i.e., schedule generated in Columbus using a site-resident widget, results generated from my PC using MSAccess+PHP). But circumstances can change. We'll work on it in the off-season.

Thanks for checking the pages. Oh, and have you seen the "Filtered" results under Results-Standings...2011 Results? You can choose class-by-class results by division, level, and/or state. Might be useful for pullers or crewmembers who want to review all of their hooks.

Jon

Re: LSS Results Sandwich September 14, 2011 01:18PM
I have been able to get results most every time I've checked. I'm willing to wait for the tractor to be unhooked from the sled though. Jon works hard at trying to get results posted and easily available [on his own time and dime for the most part] and then guys come on here and complain because they have to press a couple of extra keys once in awhile. Things have come a long way in the past year or so and unless you have the majic answer to a perfect site, quit your bitchin and be glad for what we have. Better yet, start your own results site for all orgs then be on call 24-7 so those results are fast, complete and totally up to date no mater what the time of day.

Re: LSS Results Sandwich September 14, 2011 02:02PM
I just read this entire thread and I didn’t see much “bitchin”, “and then guys come on here and complain because they have to press a couple of extra keys once in awhile”. Yes there were suggestions, comments, and constructive criticism, but it was by no means “bitchin”.

Dave was having problems viewing the results; I’m sure Dave wasn’t the only person that’s happened to, and he won’t be the last. He wasn’t “bitchin”, rather he was just trying to get the results and get his computer to work. Asking for a solution and an explanation isn’t “bitchin”.

As for my father, I agree with him that the NTPA results page could probably be streamlined/redesigned a bit. My father and I both know Jon personally and we both like and admire him a great deal (for those who don’t know Jon, he’s a very, very nice guy, he’s extremely intelligent yet still down to earth). I’m sure Jon is taking any comments for what they are, opinions/suggestions. I’m sure Jon would love to make some changes if he had the time and complete control over the page layout. I’m sure there are some things Jon would really like to do with the page if it were up to him. I’m fully confident that Jon will continue to improve the page year after year. In fact, some of those improvements may even come from suggestions/opinions.

I know that I’m always willing to hear ideas, opinions, and constructive criticism on how I can make PULLOFF.COM easier/better/more user friendly. I don’t take it personal if somebody isn’t completely satisfied with this page, but rather I look at the page and try to improve or enhance it. Unlike Jon, I’m not so bright so I’m a little more limited in my programming but I do my best to make that page as good as my skills allow.

As for Jon, I think he’s done an excellent job with the site and he’s done a great job explaining why the page does what it does.

Dave, (or anyone else) who needs to reload a fresh version of a page (any page on the web). First go to the page in question, for example: http://www.ntpapull.com/pullresults/2011-SwchIL-03-SSL-GN.htm then, once on the page:

To reload a page and bypass the cache:
Internet Explorer - hold the Ctrl key and click the “Refresh” button.
Google Chrome - Hold the Ctrl key and click the “Reload” button.
Firefox, Netscape Navigator - hold the Shift key and click the “Reload” button.
Safari - hold the Shift key and click the “Reload” button.

That should make your computer load the most corrent version of any page on the web.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009