Whats a good brand name for a Phase converter October 07, 2011 08:57AM
Hey i am starting a small shop what is a good brand name for a phase converter looking for about a 10hp phase converter

Re: Whats a good brand name for a Phase converter October 07, 2011 11:42AM
build one, that's what i did, works great all you need is a 3 phase motor and some oil filled capacitors (ebay) all the directions are available online it's super easy and a fraction of what one will cost you. Don't buy a static converter they are cheaper but cut your power by 1/3 you will want a rotary

build one another option October 08, 2011 03:36AM
build one
rewire a 3 phase motor,,
start it with another small motor with a old V belt between the shafts, no pulley needed. mound the both motors to a piece of ply wood. then get a belt that the "pony" motor sets at an angle. start the small motor put your foot on the ply wood it will spin the big motor, then turn the power on to the big motor.

takes and hour or 2 to make.

the capacitor thing would be nice if you wanted to put in the extra work.

Re: Whats a good brand name for a Phase converter October 07, 2011 12:11PM
Build your own for the cost of a 3 phase motor. you don't even need the capacitors if you use a small motor to get it turning before you throw the power switch. I been using mine for 6 years now. I got the instructions from ebay. They had instructions for simple built ones to ones the balanced everything for even cnc machines.

Re: Whats a good brand name for a Phase converter October 07, 2011 12:51PM
I use a Toshiba phase converter on my Bridgeport and love it. The above suggestions will get your machine running, but do not provide a true 3rd phase or programmable soft starts and stops, programmable load sensing/limits to protect the machine, jogging options, speed control, etc like a digital phase converter does. These options make the machine multi dimensional as opposed to just getting it running.

Re: Whats a good brand name for a Phase converter October 07, 2011 12:56PM
ronk is a good one. i would use a vfd,if you need to control speed you could

Re: Whats a good brand name for a Phase converter October 07, 2011 01:39PM
I put a phase-a-matic static converter on our silo unloader. The unloaders take two motors so we put a 3ph 10hp motor on in place of the 7.5hp single phase that was in place. We always had a problem with the single phase motors on this unloader so the converter and three phase motor mounted here works best, since we don't have to change more stuff over.

Re: Whats a good brand name for a Phase converter October 07, 2011 02:06PM
a little bit of advice,,,do your homework and buy the correct phase convertor. I had nothing but problems with the one i had. spent over $2000 for it and my machine had half the power of its rated output. ended up moving to a shop had 3 phase power and it was like night and day.

Re: Whats a good brand name for a Phase converter October 07, 2011 06:00PM
I have a phazpak phase converter. I have their rt 20hp model and I'm very happy with it. I can run both my bridgeport mill and 10hp lathe at the same time with no power loss. They are good people to work with and cheaper then most others. A good rule to kind of go by is get a converter that is bigger then what you need. Say you need 10hp, get a 15hp converter.

Re: Whats a good brand name for a Phase converter October 08, 2011 01:55AM
call ronk electric nokomis il 1 217 563 8333 great place been in the bus for a lot of years can make what ever you need

Re: Whats a good brand name for a Phase converter October 08, 2011 11:56AM
Many Variable speed drives can go single phase in three phase out . It will give you soft start and speed control of the motor but any controls on the machine need to be single phase . Don't buy a drive with a bypass section you won't be able to utilize it . Correct sizing is important , check local vendors . If you live anywhere near NY I can give you the number of who we use . Many states have rebate money availible from the electric company for the purchase and use of drives

Re: Whats a good brand name for a Phase converter October 13, 2011 12:21AM
also how much was your 20hp phazpak phase converter? I am comparing prices to see whats also economic for my shop, but I agree I would like to get the right converter the first time and thanks to everyone of you answering question they are very helpful

Re: Whats a good brand name for a Phase converter October 08, 2011 01:24PM
rotary phase converter out of joplin mo make a nice one for a fair price.I have one on my 5 hp lathe and it works great and is quite.www.rotaryphaseconverter.com he's a good guy to talk to also he'll make sure you get the one you need.

Re: Whats a good brand name for a Phase converter October 09, 2011 03:02AM
I install CNC equipment for a living and if you are installing CNC equipment i would highly recommend "phaze perfect" digital phase converter. I have seen that brand in the field time and time again without issue running very sensitive edm equipment. If you are running manual equipment make your own like others are saying. I am running a static phase converter for my mill in the garage for hobby shop. for $50 and not having a motor drawing power while my mill is sitting idle it fits the bill.

Re: Whats a good brand name for a Phase converter October 09, 2011 11:38PM
Not trying to be smart but have you checked with your electric company about 3 phase power? I spent a fair amount of time investigating phase converters and such only to find the local electric company would install 3 phase for a minimum of cost and hassle. The final cost was $85.00 a month for 5 years, my bill is rarely under $200.00 per month anyway so the cost runs concurrent with my regular bill. Just a thought.

Re: Whats a good brand name for a Phase converter October 10, 2011 01:47AM
Most any VFD can do this, but you need to size the VFD correctly. You have to know the full load amps of the motor you are going to use to calculate what VFD you will need. Here is the formula: motor amps(FLA) x service factor(SF) x 2= output amps of VFD needed. If you only have 230v single phase available you have to figure it at 230 3-phase amperage, because if you input 230v 1-ph you get 230v 3-ph. 10hp example: 28 x 1.15 x 2 = 64.4 output amps; which puts you in the 25hp VFD range. Then you can only run 1 machine at a time. If you buy a rotary phase converter, you can size it so you can run more than 1 for less money. Kay Industries in Indiana also make a good phase converter and are very knowledgeable, 800 348 5257. Any way you do it, it will not be exactly like true 3-phase power. The cleaner you get the 3-phase power, the better the motors will run, they will hold speed better, run cooler, & be more efficient.

The best thing to do is talk to some of the phase converter people and tell them what you are wanting to do. Most likely they have been down that road. If they have ask them for names of customers that are using their product in your application, and see if you can contact them directly. If you call the customer direct, they will tell you what type of a job it is doing good or bad. Ask them "If you had it to do all over again, would you do it the same way?"
I can answer some of your questions as well.

mike
260 489 6033

Re: Whats a good brand name for a Phase converter October 10, 2011 05:23PM
Phase perfect!! I have 3 in my shop now, as 3 phase is NOT avail. We run welders sometimes 24 hrs (miller 452) with no problems...
[www.phaseperfect.com]

Re: Whats a good brand name for a Phase converter October 10, 2011 05:26PM
Phase Perfect will run electronics, CNC, etc... Watch some of the other converters, they may have a bastard leg which electronics don't like...

Re: Whats a good brand name for a Phase converter October 13, 2011 12:17AM
just wondering what size of perfect phase converter you have? and how much its going to run me?

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,750, Posts: 229,901, Members: 3,334.
This forum: Topics: 37,088, Posts: 226,003.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM