Ceramic coating on pistons November 19, 2011 03:35AM
I have a few questions on having my pistons in my 407 ceramic coated. My class is 466 cube, 3000 RPM, 3LM-466 turbo, 10mm A pump max. Since water injection isn't allowed, things get kinda warm in a hurry inside the engine. W/ the setup I'm working on building now, I have to have my pistons cut a fair amount, which is gonna take a fair amount of material off them, material that would normally absorb that heat. I didn't have any problems w/ the pistons in my last engine, but that was a different setup.

So, my questions are, one, who in my area (northeast Nebraska) can ceramic coat pistons? Two, what does something like that cost? Three, is having them coated really something I need, or is it for more extreme situations? I haven't really looked into this very hard just yet, but I need to!

Thanks in advance!

Re: Ceramic coating on pistons November 20, 2011 02:29AM
One company I was going to send stuff to if it ever got that extreme was Swain Tech coatings. They aren't local but they do have standard pricing for most items and it's all posted on their site. It will at least allow you to shop and see what's available and how much it'll set you back. [www.swaintech.com]

Re: Ceramic coating on pistons November 20, 2011 04:22AM
Go to moorepower.com as they are in Nebraska and know what to do.

Re: Ceramic coating on pistons November 21, 2011 02:08AM
BLACKSTACK 1206. A GOOD PLACE TO TAKE PISTONS, MANIFOLDS, HOUSINGS, ETC. IS TRAIL COATINGS IN PAPILLION NEBRASKA. PHONE # 402 932 7821. BASICALLY IN THE HIGHWAY 370 AND 72D STREET AREA BETWEEN PAPILLION AND BELLVUE. VERY REASONABLE PRICING.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND CERAMIC COATING OF THE PISTON TOPS AND EXHAUST VALVE FACINGS AT THE VERY MINIMUM. IT CAN LOWER PISTONS TEMPS SEVERAL HUNDRED DEGREES AND GETS THE HEAT REFLECTED INTO THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD WHERE IT IS NEEDED TO GET THE OL' WINDMILL SPINNING FASTER.

I HAD PISTON MELTDOWNS WITHOUT CERAMIC AND WITH CERAMIC, BUT, THE CERAMIC PISTONS DEFINITELY WERE MORE DURABLE AND THE DIFFERENCE IN DAMAGE WAS SUBSTANTIAL, INDICATING THERE IS A LIMIT, BUT, THE CERAMIC PISTONS TOOK WAYYYYYY MORE ABUSE. ONCE YOU GET YOUR TEMPS SET ACROSS THE BOARD, WHERE YOUR ENGINE IS HAPPY AND LIVING, YOU CAN EXPECT THEM TO LIVE 5 - 10 YEARS, UNLESS YOU HAVE A MAJOR MALFUNCTION SOMEWHERE ALONG THE WAY.

Re: 466 ? November 23, 2011 12:09PM
Hey Blackstack why stop at 466 when the rest of the group is running bigger engines than that, or at least the fearless leader is anyway.

Less than 466 November 23, 2011 12:38PM
Because I read the rules, I know what they say, and I'm gonna play by the rules. I'm in it to have fun, not for a trophy at the end of the year.

Now, I won't make any comment regarding other's engines in our group. I'm not on the tech crew, I'm not the one under their engine w/ the oil pan off, taking measurements. But it begs the question: How do you know? Do you know something I don't? Have you seen the insides of their engines? Who are you, what's your name?

Re: Less than 466 November 23, 2011 03:21PM
Now thats a good post, thanks Blackstack1206

Re: way more than 466 November 23, 2011 04:22PM
Someone hands you a gift and you ask questions REALLY!!!! I guese you like putting all that time and money into your "407" and then getting it handed to you by a rule abiding tractor. Instead of asking who I am and how I know maybe you should be on the tech crew and start getting someone else to look at them other than BLACK CROW because they might be one of the other ones with a big engine. Think about it.

Re: way more than 466 November 24, 2011 12:30AM
This must be mstpa. Put the protest money heigh enough that no one will put up the money. Then every one knows there only a few on the board could check one. Then who knows if the results would be reported as it checked out.

Re: way more than 466 November 24, 2011 01:44AM
Hey sounds like someone wants a cheap look. My comment is if you want to know then put up the money and take the chance that your right then 500 dollars isn't to much to put up to have someones (or your own) engine taken down to find out. Now if your willing to accept a puffer or a pan only check then a couple hundred might be acceptable. I personally surpport the rule something like MSTPA put in this year to clarify their present protest rule and the one thing you have to have is a honest (And I mean a Honest to the bone) committee to check this. It also has to be a committee that checks and reports back only the necessary infor that applies to the protest and that is if the vehicle is "Legal" or "Illegal" and that is all that is needed to be told. Sorry Blackstack 1206 this needs to be a new thread, didn't mean to take it in a different direction but had to comment.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2011 10:49PM by farmall puller.

Re: way more than 466 November 25, 2011 03:23AM
It takes a really big pair to put up the money and protest a tractor even if you are sure of it. It takes very little to sit behind a keyboard and tell someone you gave them a gift "anonimously". I applaud Blackstack for playing within the rules. If the class is being teched then that seems to be the correct choice. Not all of us feel the need to cheat to win.

Very well put November 25, 2011 03:37AM
Thank you, you said what I was wanting to say, but couldn't find a good way of saying it.

Re: Very well put November 28, 2011 02:29AM
ONE WAY TO LESSEN THE IMPACT OF POSSIBLY LOSING A $500 PROTEST FEE WOULD BE FOR SEVERAL PULLERS TO PITCH TOGETHER TO RAISE THE FUNDS. THEN; DRAW STRAWS TO SEE WHO WILL PLUNK THE MONEY DOWN. THENNNN..........IF THE PROTEST GOES TO THE PROTESTOR(S), THE PLUNKER THEN GETS A BONUS OUT OF THE WINNINGS FOR HAVING THE BIGGEST SET OF NADS...............THE OTHERS CAN ALL REMAIN ANONYMOUS AND WORSHIP THE MAN WITH THE NADS............

Re: Very well put November 28, 2011 01:32PM
Why can't we all just get along? Everyone get your tractor or truck teched and go pull. If you don't like the rules then go to another class that has what you want to run. Just a thought. And one is enough for the day.

Re: Very well put November 28, 2011 01:43PM
It's so funny in a sport of thousands and thousands of dollars that we have so much bickering about who is cheating and nobody ever has the balls to put up 500 or a 1000 dollars to catch someone!!! Money talks bullshit walks

This thread sure did take on a different course! November 28, 2011 02:29PM
Oh well. I did get some good input on who to call locally to get a set of pistons coated. I sure do appreciate the help!

Re: This thread sure did take on a different course! November 29, 2011 03:53AM
I have been reading this post and I find it comical that some one asks about pistons and the topic changes to over cubed engines, wouldn't it be easier to cube everyone that is in a cubic inch limit class so people wouldn't waste space on this page. Might be something to look at when the next rules meeting comes along, on the other hand some of the stuff posted on here makes for a good laugh so keep on entertaining!

Re: This thread sure did take on a different course! November 29, 2011 05:33AM
THIS THREAD, GOING FROM PISTONS TO OVER-CUBED MOTORS, IS A CLASSIC EXAMPLE OF WHAT GOES ON AT A RULES MEETING AND WHY NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THE HE!! THEY ARE VOTING ON. THERE'S UMPTEEN DIFFERENT CONVERSATIONS GOING ON AT ONCE. EVERYONE GETS STARTED ON THEIR OWN LITTLE SUBJECT, IN THEIR OWN LITTLE WORLD, AND THEN THE NEXT THING YOU KNOW, EVERYONE RAISES THEIR HEADS OUT OF THEIR LITTLE CIRCLE OF CONVERSATION, LIKE A BUNCH OF TURKEYS, AND THEY VOTE ON SOMETHING THAT THEY WEREN'T EVEN AWARE WAS BEING DISCUSSED. SO THEN; WAA LAA; A CHANGE GETS VOTED IN AND EVERYBODY SITS AROUND GRUMBLING THAT THEY REALLY DIDN'T KNOW THAT'S WHAT THEY WERE VOTING ON. SO THENNNN; SOMEONE MAKES A MOTION TO VOTE THE NEW RULE OUT, THAT WAS JUST VOTED IN (THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE IN EFFECT FOR 3 YEARS) BECAUSE THEY REALLY DIDN'T KNOW WHAT THE HE!! WAS BEING VOTED ON. SEEN IT MANY TIMES OVER A PERIOD OF OVER 30 YEARS. IT NEVER CEASES TO AMAZE ME. THERE'S NOTHING MORE DANGEROUS THAN IGNORANCE IN NUMBERS, ESPECIALLY AT A RULES MEETING.

SOLUTION: LISTEN UP AT THE RULES MEETING...............ONLY ONE PERSON SPEAKS AT A TIME. SAVE YOUR LITTLE SIDE DISCUSSIONS FOR THE BEER DRINKING AFTER THE MEETING.

Re: This thread sure did take on a different course! November 30, 2011 04:29AM
Interested to hear who you decided to use.. and how they turn out when you get them back...
Bryan

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,717, Posts: 229,825, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,083, Posts: 225,961.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro