cutting tire with plainer January 01, 2012 01:58PM
anyone ever do this?

Re: cutting tire with plainer January 01, 2012 02:47PM
Yeah, you just gotta make sure the tires are clean. If there is any dirt on the tires, it will dull the blades even quicker. I started cutting a set of tires like this and the junky planer I was using burnt up within about 4 cleats, so I just used a rubber cutting disc on a grinder. I have heard many people have had great luck with a planer though. They must have been using a nicer planer, because I was using a cheap @ss Harbor Freight one and it burnt up really quick.

Re: cutting tire with plainer January 01, 2012 03:00PM
Yeah, get a decent quality electric planer like a Dewalt, and order extra blades and it should last for years.

Re: cutting tire with plainer January 01, 2012 10:41PM
Sears belt sander and ruff sand paper worked good too!

Re: cutting tire with plainer January 01, 2012 11:26PM
used a makita power planer, but get the carbide blades, hss blades will dull too quickly! only issues are the center of the tire where lugs intercept! planer drive will prevent you from getting in tight due to interference with the opposite lug! still much quicker, and less smoke then a grinder!

Re: cutting tire with plainer January 02, 2012 12:15AM
I agree with what Jim said. I have used a old B&D unit that still works good, gotta use the carbide blades for sure!!

Re: cutting tire with plainer you knew this was coming! January 02, 2012 03:53AM
Me an Ole use a chain saw!
We got de ideaer when we was at the county fair and saw that guy cutting animal figures on tree stumps with a chain saw!
We do wear our pullin helmet, cuz the kickback can be kinda severe when using the chain saw onna tire!
Lars was the first to try the chain saw thing for us, and he was a tryin to "Plunge cut" the first bar, and let me tell ewe,when that sucker kicked back, the only place for the saw to go was straight back out the plunge cut hole. kicked Lars aboot half ways into the next county.
He was a knocked out so cold we hadda get some moonshine from Harvey Sutclaimens still over onna creek. Oneced we got him to come to, we went ahead and drank that gallon of moonshine and didn't see our wives for tree days. Onna forth day the swelling in our eyes went down enough we could just see them thru our squinting eye lids.
So then a week after Lars' accident we went to a cuttin the bars offa the tires with a smaller chain saw.
You just run the chain across the top of the bars while running the saw wide open and kinda just wear off the rubber. Keep youre mouth shut! That rubber'll fill up your mouth fast, and let me tell ewe, that stuff is hot commin off the chain saw bar! Taste bad two. A tad better than lutefisk I must say, but not all too good.
We did try a buzz saw hooked up to the A John Deere, but them dang 30.5's is heavy. Took 4 of our wives to hold one tire up so's us guys could do the aiming and feeding it in. They got upset doing all the heavy liftin, so they got mad and quit. So we hadda figure something else out.
We can do this chainsaw trick with the tire mounted onna tractor.
We did try hanging the riding mower from the tree branch onna tree swing, and leaving the tire onna tractor and starting the tire spinnin and lowering down the riding mower onto the tire. Worked OK till the wind came up and made it hard to keep steady on the tire. seems no one wants to stand and hold the riding mower in place while we are mowing off the tires.
We heard about a guy over by Ogden using a planer head out of a big table planer, so we tried that, but getting that bench up top of a tire and moving it around to trim off the tire was pretty hard work, and the ladies were still upset about the buzz saw thing, so we gave up on that.

Re: cutting tire with plainer you knew this was coming! January 02, 2012 11:39AM
Sven you make my day! Cant wait to get serious and talk about yosemite sam again. P.S. ryan wants you to write his college paper

Re: cutting tire with plainer January 02, 2012 05:13AM
yes, have done it several times buy a good planer (dewalt ,milwalkie,) and carbide tooling, i have done the tops and the fronts to do the front grind a 45 degree bevel on the end of your tooling and leave it stick out of the end of the drum about an 1/8 in. you wont be able to put the guard back on when doing the fronts, works pretty good

Re: cutting tire with plainer January 02, 2012 06:16AM
i bout a dewalt from lowes would they have the carbite blades?

Re: cutting tire with plainer January 02, 2012 10:44AM
Yeah, blades are available online. Get a couple sets and they are reversible.

Re: cutting tire with plainer January 02, 2012 12:01PM
still laughing about sven comment that was better then a midget fight

Re: cutting tire with plainer January 03, 2012 12:41AM
As above clean well, we use a course scrub brush with lots of soapy water.
We also apply the soapy water before each pass it helps to keep things cool and prevent melting rubber onto the blade.

Re: cutting tire with plainer January 03, 2012 01:35AM
MENARDS "TOOL SHOP" BRAND BELT SANDER AND THE COARSEST SANDING BELTS YOU CAN FIND WILL MAKE SHORT WORK OUT OF GRINDING TIRES. THE "TOOL SHOP" BRAND IS CHEAP ENOUGH THAT YOU CAN BUY TWO SANDERS FOR THE PRICE OF ONE OF THE EXPENSIVE ONES. USE ONE SANDER TILL THE BELT RUB SURFACE BECOMES HOTS. LET IT COOL DOWN AND CONTINUE SANDING WITH THE ALTERNATE ONE. THE "TOOL SHOP" BRAND ALLOWS YOU TO GET CLOSER TO THE TIRE CARCASS.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,779, Posts: 229,957, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,040.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009