SBJD Clutch Input Shaft Help January 09, 2012 12:33AM
I have a 4630 JD and it has the big clutch input shaft(1-3/4" 27 Spline). The problem is, the shaft is out and I can't get it back in. I have messed with it for a while trying to move it around and shove in it but nothing works. What has to be done to get it back into place? Thanks in advance!

Re: SBJD Clutch Input Shaft Help January 09, 2012 03:54AM
It splines into the front gear of the quad range. It should slip in unless the gear or the thrust washer it goes against has dropped down. Neither of those should be possible though unless something is wrong in the 2speed.

Re: SBJD Clutch Input Shaft Help January 09, 2012 04:58AM
I forgot to mention that the 2 speed and wet clutch is gone. I am running a 4620 bell housing.

Re: SBJD Clutch Input Shaft Help January 09, 2012 08:42AM
Well then I am not sure how your setup has been modified exactly. The original 4620 shaft would have slipped directly into the splines on the transmission top shaft. It is guided in by a bushing in the pto shaft that the trans shaft runs through. I am guessing your pto stuff is all gone. In that case you may have difficulty getting the shaft lifted up in the back to put it in with nothing to guide it. All I could suggest would be get a pipe to help push down on the front of the shaft to try to pivot it up enough to get it back in the splines in the back.

Re: SBJD Clutch Input Shaft Help January 09, 2012 11:20AM
Just wondering what you have for a clutch setup. We have a 4620 with a 3 disk crower in it. Removed all of the pto junk and had a custom input shaft and bearing support made for it. Clutch is great but takes some time and patience to get splines lined up for reassembly. Have learned a few tricks for getting it back together. On the clutch end I usually pull input shaft out and use it to line up all disks in clutch before I tighten down pressure plate otherwise it's impossible to get splinned. If one disk is even a whisker off it won't go together. Secondly, have bellhousing and back of motor as square+even as possible. Try barring your motor over while pushing it together too. Sometimes that will help to get it splinned also. Hope this helps.

Re: SBJD Clutch Input Shaft Help January 09, 2012 12:22PM
the hex shaft that goes into the lube pump is whats holdin you up, you have to hold your tongue just right, have patience with it. takes several tries and lotsa turning.

Re: SBJD Clutch Input Shaft Help January 09, 2012 12:39PM
Your 2 speed tranny probably has a coupler between input shaft and trans shaft. The coupler probably fell down inside. I have a similar setup. That's how mine works

Re: SBJD Clutch Input Shaft Help January 09, 2012 12:39PM
none of what you guys are saying is correct.. the tractor has been dried up in the bell housing meaning it has no HEX shaft any more and no 2 speed. the tranny pump is now being run off the top shaft. according to the picture it looks as thought someone has coupled the 4620 rear to the 4630 front. my advice is to shine in the bell housing with a flash lite and look to see if the thrust washer has fallen down between the top shaft front bearing quill and the housing. it will only fall a 1/2 inch and this will cause you not to be able to get the shaft back into place in the splines of the top shaft. if you are not successful in twisting and turnig and pushing inwards, then your only choice is to split the tractor again at the tranny and bell housing and retrieve the washer and install the input shaft that way. been down that road many times before with 20 series tracotrs.

Re: SBJD Clutch Input Shaft Help January 10, 2012 03:59AM
If the PTO stuff has all been removed there is no thrust washer! The thrust washer goes against the pto drive gear on the pto drivehsaft. Since it is said to be gone so is the washer. In stock 4520/4620 format the traction clutch input shaft splines directly into the transmission top shaft.

Re: SBJD Clutch Input Shaft Help January 10, 2012 10:22AM
Just rip it apart and you will know what you own!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,781, Posts: 229,964, Members: 3,339.
This forum: Topics: 37,099, Posts: 226,046.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009