Travel plans for Louisville February 10, 2012 05:03PM
I am sure there has been discussion on this topic in the previous months but I wanted to make sure and give everyone a heads up about the bridge closure. The Sherman Minton Bridge on I64 from Indiana to Kentucky and vice versa is closed for repairs. Those traveling will need to take 265 to 65 and cross on the Kennedy Bridge. A guide of suggestions of things to do in Louisville is posted on the blog!
Miles Beyond 300
Thanks for reading and safe travels to Louisville!
Miles

Re: Travel plans for Louisville February 11, 2012 01:42AM
Miles,

Very nice review of Louisvlle. I thoug I'd add some food to your list:

Louisville has some really good BBQ. Mark's Feed Store and FabD are both good, but my hands down winner is Smoketown USA BBQ. All of the local joints are head and shoulders better than the chain places like Famous Dave's and Smokey Bones, but Smoketown is the clear winner for me.

The owner's a little nuts (in a good way), and the place is a little strange, but it's well worth the drive from the Farm Show.

Here are a few reviews:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/smoketown-usa-louisville
http://www.activediner.com/smoketown-usa-bbq/restaurant/louisville/ky/us/reviews/816742

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Travel plans for Louisville February 11, 2012 04:25AM
I caught the KC BBQ episode on Diners Drive-ins and Dives the other night and have craved a good BBQ place ever since. Thanks for the recommendation we will have to check that place out.

Re: Travel plans for Louisville February 11, 2012 05:08AM
Been to Marks Feed Bag several times and would recomend it to anyone.

Re: Travel plans for Louisville February 11, 2012 05:55AM
Smoketown has become a pilgrimage for the Lively household, great food, interesting dining area, and entertainment from the owner--he is a character!

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: Travel plans for Louisville February 11, 2012 09:00AM
This is a great topic. Always looking for something to do besides the farm show. Great blog Miles we will definitly check some of these out. We did the Jim Beam tour a couple of years ago it was pretty good and not to far away. We have also done Louisville Slugger and really enjoyed it. Keep the ideas going.

Re: Travel plans for Louisville February 11, 2012 10:32AM
Several other distilleries close by, Notably Wild Turkey in Lawrenceburg and Makers Mark in Loretto. Check their websites for visiting hours. If you're adventurous you could drive to Bowling Green to the Corvette Museum, the plant is on shutdown at the moment for re-tooling. Right on 65, cannot miss it.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: Travel plans for Louisville February 11, 2012 12:25PM
Charlie-

Thanks for the reply! If you have a specific type of food you are interested in let me know and I will do my best to give you a suggestion. Additionally, there are tons of awesome places to go visit in the Metro area that I did not include on the blog. If you have other ideas let me know and thanks for reading the blog.

Miles

Re: Travel plans for Louisville February 12, 2012 12:35AM
Thanks Miles I made a copy of your blog to take along and I will see which of the things the guys want to check out.

Re: Travel plans for Louisville February 12, 2012 02:15AM
Was just wondering what the ultimate Louisville Dish is and the best place to get it? thanks

Re: Travel plans for Louisville February 11, 2012 04:31PM
The Makers Mark tour is so much better!!! You should check it out if you try any of them. Also Famous Dave's BBQ in Southern Indiana is by far the best BBQ around.

Re: Travel plans for Louisville February 12, 2012 04:18AM
If anybody is looking for really good "Buffalo style" chicken wings, I recommend a place called Scooters Sports Bar & Grill(I think thats what its called, correct me if im wrong) just around the corner from the Ford Plant. They totally remodeled the place a couple of years ago. Being a Buffalo native, these wings are as good as it gets.

Re: Travel plans for Louisville February 12, 2012 01:18PM
Dan, I can't believe you are cheating on the queen city like that! Shame on you for saying "these wings are as good as it gets", that's almost enough to get you booted out of the Buffalo areaSmiling. I'm a huge wing fan so I'll try and check out Scooters.

amnima, Famous Dave is pretty good for a chain, but I honestly believe that it doesn't hold a candle to Smoketown or some of the other local BBQ joints, I hope you get a chance to check a local BBQ pit out and support the local businesses. The tractor pull is almost getting to be an excuse just to drive down and get some ribs from Smoketown. I haven't gotten the pulled pork or anything else, I'm just hooked on the ribs.

Miles, Thanks for the great blog entry/travel guide, I'm planning on hitting a restaurant or two on that list. I'm trying to get back down to my Summer cycling weight, but I guess I'll start that after the Farm Show.

One last thing, as Bryan and others have mentioned, the Bourbon trail is defiantly fun to do. I'm a non-drinker (and I mean I don't drink a drop, I won't even eat chocolates if I know they have alcohol in them) and I thought some of the distillery tours were awesome. My wife and I did a few of them two years ago and the Heaven Hills tour was great, Jim Beam tour was a letdown, but I think they may have expanded since I was there. I smelled all the Bourbons and my wife sampled them all and we both gained a new appreciation for their differences (I swear some smelled like paint thinner and other like sugar).

I know chain food is always a safe bet, but I hope people also get a chance to hit some of the local restaurants and support local business.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Travel plans for Louisville February 12, 2012 01:28PM
Few years ago my dad and I went to Woodford Reserve distillery when we were down for a pull. A little smaller but a great tour and neat place to visit.

[www.woodfordreserve.com]

Re: Travel plans for Louisville February 17, 2012 05:10AM
We took Jakes advice and went to Smoketown USA and enjoyed it alot.The owner asked if I would post this note
Great Farmers, this is Eric David Gould i own Smoke Town USA and YES MY WIFE OWNS ME.
We are so appreciative that so many people are coming to us. and writing about us. Please keep coming we love good people.
SHALOM, the Jewiesh redneck.

Re: Travel plans for Louisville February 13, 2012 03:47AM
google maps shows the bridge will be open today at noon. is this true?

Re: Travel plans for Louisville- DO THIS ! February 14, 2012 01:15AM
1) Google "trafficwise.in.gov". 2) Click on "Louisville Area Traffic" small map in top portion of page. 3) Click in upper left corner "Sherman Minton Bridge". 4) STUDY this page which includes maps of suggested routes. 5) Safe travels & pulling !

Re: Travel plans for Louisville- DO THIS ! February 15, 2012 08:21AM
As of this morning, the Sherman Minton bridge is still closed. Just to let everyone know that hasn't been across the bridge on I-65, it is terribly rough!!!! I pick up in Louisville 3 times per week, and it's only getting worse, especially going north. And do take your time if you are travelling I-65 south to I-64 west for any reason, that's a right lane only exit with plastic pylons dividing it, and it's awful also. If you are just crossing the bridge on 65 south, I would recommend to stay in the left lane well north of the bridge as the right 2 get pretty wild during the day-there are a lot of morons down there. 1 last thing-in Indiana starting at the 10 mile marker and to the river, the speed limit is 55 mph. The state troopers watch that pretty heavy, and every morning I go through there, they have at least 1 semi pulled over, so beware they do pick on trucks down there! Safe travels and good luck to all the pullers! I'll be heading down tomorrow morning from Milwaukee with my blue tanker (says Wolf on it) to load Friday morning in Louisville, so be sure to wave with all your fingers, please! LOL

Re: Travel plans for Louisville February 16, 2012 12:46AM
I took your advice Jake and we went to smoketown. It was for sure best ribs i have ever had at a restaraunt. and you were right the owner is hilarious. It was definately worth gettin lost trying to find it Going back saturday Smiling Thanks again.

Re: Travel plans for Louisville February 22, 2012 02:05PM
Yes took our group there Tuesday night. We were a little leery on the outside but all was alright when we entered. Sitting at the next big table was Esden Lane among other pullers. Best ribs ever and the owner was a hoot!

Scott

Re: Travel plans for Louisville February 22, 2012 02:15PM
We also enjoyed Jake's advice! A little leery of the area the nav was taking us thinking there possibly can't be great bbq near here. But lo and behold awesome ribs and the owner was a riot. He said tell everyone and loves it when new patrons visit. He wanted to talk about hunting and he takes trips to the Dakotas for pheasant hunting. Very cool place and it felt like home dining when you were there.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,758, Posts: 229,918, Members: 3,336.
This forum: Topics: 37,093, Posts: 226,017.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM