BBJD February 24, 2012 08:39AM
What does BBJD mean when talking about motors or heads.

Re: BBJD February 24, 2012 08:51AM
I think it means Big block like you see with car type V8 Engines

BBJD = Big block john deere

2 poor 2 pull :-(

Re: BBJD February 24, 2012 09:12AM
Yes, BBJD is a 531 cubic inch or 619 cubic inch engine John Deere from a 5010/5020/6030. Thanks for the good question, sometimes we get caught up in our own jargon and acronyms.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2012 09:18AM by Jake Morgan.

Re: BBJD February 24, 2012 09:26AM
So im guessing a 55 series BBJB head wont fit on a normal 466. Thank you for the info.

Re: BBJD February 24, 2012 09:32AM
No, & honestly if they interchanged they would be nearly identical. Both have all the ports on the same side. Both have parallel, vertical valves. If you saw pictures of both & didn't have any size reference, you probably wouldn't notice any significant differences.

Re: BBJD February 24, 2012 09:46AM
You are correct it will not fit on a 466. There is a significant size difference between a small block JD (404,466,7.6,8.1) vs the big block (531,619,10.1). The 55 series (ie: 7.6 liter) version of the small block in big block form is the 10.1 liter which was in 8760, 8770,8870 articulate tractors, so if you hear someone refer to a 70 series BB that is what they are talking about. The big difference in a 55 series or 70 series is in the cylinder head. They flow more air then the older series did. I am sure I missed something but hope it helps.

Re: BBJD February 24, 2012 09:28AM
Just please don't get the impression that the differences are anywhere near as much as between a small block chevy & a big block chevy.

Re: BBJD February 24, 2012 09:40AM
Just to be clear. U cant use a BBJD head on a 466

Re: BBJD February 24, 2012 09:46AM
The bore spacing on a BBJD is much bigger, hence the block overall is inches longer.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: BBJD February 24, 2012 10:46AM
Ok thanks. Im new to this.

Re: BBJD February 24, 2012 12:21PM
Jake just to be clear 619's NEVER came in a 5010,5020, or 6030 from the factory. The 619 was only ever used in 4wd's and forage harvesters. Yes it will fit and they share many of the same components but the 619 was never factory in a 2wd farm tractor.

Re: BBJD February 25, 2012 10:56AM
i beleive they did come in the construction grade 6030;s the (yellow ones) and they were 2 wheel drive

Re: BBJD February 25, 2012 01:36PM
no they did not, they were never in a 2wd tractor period

Re: BBJD February 26, 2012 12:36AM
Thanks correct, the 6030 came with a 531. I didn't include all the details in my original quick post, I just lumped the two engines together since they interchange and since the question was simply looking for clarification as to what BBJD stands for. Sorry If I confused anyone. So just for clarification no 5010/5020's and no 6030's (not any) came with a 619.

For those wondering, the 619 is a suitable replacement because the cranks interchange between the two engines and the rules allow for different blocks from the same manufacturer if the cranks interchange. When people talk about BBJD is could be either block, however 95% of the tractors going down the track have swapped out for the 619 block. In most associations you can only put a 531/619 in front of a 5010/5020/6030 rearend.

The crank interchange rule is why the IH guys take out their 414's and put in a 436/466, and the Ford guys usually toss the 401 infavor of the 456/474.

To "not smart",

I hope we didn't confuse you too much, it was a great question.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: BBJD April 04, 2012 09:09AM
Is a bbjd limited to those you mentioned, or does anyone run anything larger like a 12.5l?

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009