Timing gears August 15, 2012 07:37AM
What is the best material to use to make timing gears, have the capabilities of making them. just mot sure what material to use.
Thanks for any input!

Re: Timing gears August 15, 2012 08:53AM
8620 and have a good heat treater.

Re: Timing gears August 15, 2012 10:14AM
If you have to ask what material, are you really "capable"?

Re: Timing gears August 15, 2012 11:32PM
22 year old tool and die apprentice working for a shop thats all cnc oriented, our own heat treating ovens, and wire edm machines with a boss that doesnt care if i work on my own stuff after hours. i will get the job done. had a few materials in mind, just wanted some peoples input that had experience in this area. Thank you black bart for your input!

Re: Timing gears August 16, 2012 07:48AM
If you don't have a gear hobber or fellows shaper, good luck. The tooth profile is not straightforward. Been a while since I was around CNC controls though, maybe they have gear profiles built in now...

Re: Timing gears August 16, 2012 08:17AM
Thats what the wire machines are for. way more precise.

Re: Timing gears August 16, 2012 08:18AM
and good software

Re: Timing gears August 16, 2012 01:33PM
You could definitely make a gear with a wire edm but as others have said it will slower than a gear hobber or shaper. You could also make the gear from 4340 but when you heat treat 4340 it will harden all the way through and this will cause the teeth to be brittle and possibly break. 8620 would be better but as someone else said it is harder to heat treat. Is does not have enough carbon in it to harden so you have to add carbon to it by heating the gear in a carbon rich enviroment for hours. This is usually done by heating in a sealed inconel box that is filled with natural gas. After the carbon is absorbed into the surface of the steel, the gear is hardened by quenching it. This causes the high carbon surface of the gear to become quite hard to prevent wear but the core will remain much softer to give the teeth more strength. This is called carburizing and most tool and die shops will not have the capability to do this because most tool and die work is made from high carbon steel so you won't have to carburize. You just need to heat it up and quench it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2012 01:34PM by J&R Machine.

Re: Timing gears August 16, 2012 09:07AM
for the people out there that dont know how to read i dont think he was asking how to make them but anyways 4340 would also work and it is not so hard to heat treat and the wire edm will work for the gears as long as it is a strait cut gear it just is not as cost effective

Re: Timing gears August 16, 2012 10:05AM
Would Hyper have what you need??

Re: Timing gears August 16, 2012 11:33PM
Thanks everyone for your input. and not building for a red one.

Re: Timing gears August 17, 2012 12:12AM
Get a metalurgy book. Carburize with ground up charcoal in a stainless box wraped whith stainless. Tool and die shops do this all the time in small furnaces.

Re: Timing gears August 17, 2012 05:03AM
make sure the small gear is twice the width.

Re: Timing gears August 17, 2012 06:29AM
stock is 1.25 wide for both?

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,948, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,033.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009