question on the 1206 that broke in half August 19, 2012 08:10AM
when that tractor exploded in Ca..is it pretty much destined for the scrap pile or can it be saved and rebuilt if not tore up too bad?

Re: question on the 1206 that broke in half August 19, 2012 08:21AM
Well depending on your checkbook it can be rebuilt. Gonna need a new speed transmission for sure, clutch (hopefully a SFI steel one) not sure how much damage to the back of the engine so might have to do a bunch of work there plus a few pieces of sheetmetal. Then if gonna keep pulling add a bunch of safety stuff to prevent that from happening again.

Re: question on the 1206 that broke in half August 19, 2012 08:35AM
thanks,I was just curious,never built/had a puller,I definitely know what I would do safety wise if I do build one

Re: question on the 1206 that broke in half August 20, 2012 12:20AM
any pictures of this mishap? everyone ok thats the main question?

Re: question on the 1206 that broke in half August 20, 2012 10:24AM
[youtu.be] Here is the pull. I got a question, is it me, or as the walk around pics show, did he just plop an after market HP Fuel Pump on a Stock tractor that couldn't handle it, thus the Flywheel/clutch exploding, sawing it in half? Just Curious. It looks that way.

Re: question on the 1206 that broke in half August 20, 2012 11:11AM
You can hear a plunger stick at about 200 ft...If he had let it kill it itself at the end he would have been OK..But he clutched it and the rpms went thru the roof which a stock flywheel and clutch wont handle..There was no blanket..Its a miracle someone didnt get killed..

Re: question on the 1206 that broke in half August 20, 2012 04:07PM
I'm no expert but I agree completly with the stuck plunger- stuck rack in the pump theory. Watched the video several times and it's pretty obvious when he clutched the tractor the pump stuck at full throtle and she exploded the fly wheel clutch assembly. Saw this almost happen at Pleasant Hill Ill. years ago, Junior Ray had a 1466 stick the rack in the pump, when he realized she wouldn't idle down he quickly pulled the air shut off. It smuthered it down a little but soon began gaining rpm's Jr finally bailed off to get back and let her go, as other pullers watching began stuffing hats, shirts anything they could find into the intake. The engine would slow some but soon begin gaining rpms again, this battle went on for awhile. Finally Bennie Mckinnon jumped up on the tractor after throwing his shirt in the intake along with a purse check still in the pocket clutched it and ripped it into gear and stall killed it. It was a miracle it didn't explode, at one time the engine was running so fast the crankcase breather tube was pouring oil out at about 40 psi. Everybody was trying to get away from it, scared the hell out of me.

Re: question on the 1206 that broke in half August 21, 2012 08:56AM
i just watched this video i am so glad no one got hurt. but am i the only one that thinks this wana be should never be allowed to pull again. when i see something like this where a tractor owner thinks only of himself and his 12 seconds of fame and not of the future of the sport let alone the spectators, not to mention his own well being. what always worries me is a brush puller like this injuring or killing someone with a real pricey lawyer and something like this could end pulling for all of us. the days of not thinking about safety are over its nothing like it was 20 or 30 years ago. when i saw those pics and that nice p pump and no blanket i thought whats wrong here. if you hurt someone how cheap would a blanket have been then.i know that ride is awesome but safety has to be a prioraty for everyone wanting to play in this sport.

Re: question on the 1206 that broke in half August 21, 2012 09:18AM
From watching the video of the explosion, and the follow-up video of the carnage, in listening to guys talking in the background in the second video, I get the impression that the guy driving the tractor was not the guy that owned the tractor, now what difference that actually makes is hard to say, whether the guy running it was less experienced than the guy that owned it, its hard to say. I do get the impression that the guy that drove it probably hadn't drove a tractor with that high horsepower of an engine before.

I would be curious to know whether or not the tractor was rebuilt, or if it was parted out.

Re: question on the 1206 that broke in half August 21, 2012 11:02AM
It doesnt matter one bit if he owned it or not ......................... ZERO safety equipment is still ZERO safety equipment. There is room for this same kind of thing to happen with the organization you pull with also Matt. To many people saying "We have never had a problem before so we dont need to add anything now." But your group isnt the only one.........

And to think there is another prominent puller who got on my case about pushing people who were building new stuff to include safety in there build. ............ little less whip , lot more carrot I believe I was told. Should get them to the track and help build the sport ......... What if this was this guys first trip ?

Re: question on the 1206 that broke in half August 21, 2012 12:18PM
I can't argue with that Keith, the lack of safety equipment alone should have made anyone looking at that tractor say "Look, this isn't safe, that tractor isn't gonna hook to the sled." Unfortunately, that's wasn't the case, this is what happened, and one has to move forward. And again, its a huge wake-up call to those of us that have seen this video, or read about this & other stories that are similar. What bothers me isn't the fact that this may get some concerned about safety, what bothers me is those that look at something like this, turn around, and say, "Oh, that'll never happen to me."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2012 12:51PM by Blackstack1206.

Re: question on the 1206 that broke in half August 21, 2012 02:23PM
Blackstack1206
I can't argue with that Keith, the lack of safety equipment alone should have made anyone looking at that tractor say "Look, this isn't safe, that tractor isn't gonna hook to the sled." Unfortunately, that's wasn't the case, this is what happened, and one has to move forward. And again, its a huge wake-up call to those of us that have seen this video, or read about this & other stories that are similar. What bothers me isn't the fact that this may get some concerned about safety, what bothers me is those that look at something like this, turn around, and say, "Oh, that'll never happen to me."
EXACTLY!! Beer

Re: question on the 1206 that broke in half August 21, 2012 03:04PM
I agree completely about the lack of saftey equipment. A steel flywheel, blanket, ladder bars etc. cheap compared to injury or death to the driver or even worse living with hurting or killing a spectator. My story at P Hill took place at a ITPA pull, tractor had a blanket and all the saftey equipment of the day, and a very experienced driver, still a hairy moment. You gotta think about what your doin, and what your tryin to do it with sh$$ does happen! I'm afraid that 12 is scrap, nice tractor but not that rare and that one not worth rebuilding.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,785, Posts: 229,971, Members: 3,340.
This forum: Topics: 37,099, Posts: 226,049.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009