compression ratio September 09, 2013 06:29AM
What is a good compression ratio to be at for a 8500 3x3 466 limited pro.

Re: compression ratio September 09, 2013 09:46AM
14..5 was what a lot of guys were running a year ago. By the time you cut valve reliefs deeper for larger cam you will be pretty close to that figure

Re: compression ratio September 09, 2013 11:56AM
Use the old style 466 piston they have a lower ring set and will help keep heat off the rings, and lower compression use a .250 or .300 deep valve relief depending on cam and you will be right on.

Re: compression ratio September 09, 2013 12:46PM
Thanks for the helpful answers/suggestions. Will the stock piston survive the rpm and heat or is it better to look for some forged pistons.

Re: compression ratio September 09, 2013 01:15PM
per above and get rid of pyramid. it is for starting and hurts at rpm.

Re: compression ratio September 09, 2013 01:32PM
with a 3x3 charger we had a combination for dt 466 engine with dt 436 pistons cut off the top cut out the bowl cut valve reliefs and back to 16:1 ratio. found it to be super strong set up. If you start to get any bigger with the turbo you will need to decompress more. had a 13mm P pump 5 hole .028 injectors and also found going back to the .093 injector lines helped. we ran water 20 oz. in 15 seconds with that combo. worked well. keep in mind we ran this without inter cooler about 20 yrs ago. hyper head gskt and riverside camshaft. hope this helps. Floyd Isbell 570 637 1311

Re: compression ratio September 09, 2013 02:29PM
Thanks classified for standing for what this forum page is for. Just hope someone can give an answer about the stock vs forged pistons.

Needs help? September 09, 2013 04:00PM
Look, I ran a stock diesel piston out of an IH diesel 301 on alcohol for years at 70lbs of boost at 4500 rpm going down the track. They never gave me one bit of problems and I had an engine builder tell me that I would be ok with those pistons at 5500rpm. And I was at a 7.7 to 1 ratio. The pistons were over 30 years old. I would think you
would be ok as long as you don't turn it over 5500 and I think Skidoo is right on the compression ratio. That is my opinion for what it is worth.
Clark.

Re: compression ratio September 09, 2013 02:11PM
So what your saying is you couldn't figure it out either so you pay someone to do it for you then criticize those of us that ask questions learn as we go and have the backbone to do things on our own terms. If you didn't want to give out any TOP Secret info then don't reply there is no need to be a a--hole about it. In case you missed it there is room in this sport for everyone.

Re: compression ratio September 09, 2013 02:29PM
Top Secret be one of those "real pullers". That think there the best because they can out spend everyone else. Love beating those guys they usually cry the most. Since there money can't figure out setup's.

Re: compression ratio September 10, 2013 02:00AM
We have a 466 reliefs cut. 250 on a rotary ih and it starts just fine. Yet i see 466 light limiteds that need a can or two either to start. Why is that? Timing?

Re: compression ratio September 10, 2013 08:59AM
You can coat the tops with ceramic but as long as you don't run it hot without adding enough water the stock pistons will run you for years,.
running out of time and bad injectors will cause problems but that is with either piston. Billet doesn't mean better....

Re: compression ratio September 10, 2013 09:01AM
Thanks floyd, just didn't want to have short lived pistons.

Re: compression ratio September 10, 2013 04:03PM
What is a good way to lower compressionore than cutting the bowl and reliefs on pistons, and is there a rule of thumb of how much it will lower it or the way you cut them extra? Thanks

Re: compression ratio September 10, 2013 04:19PM
Put a thicker head gasket in is an easier way to do it. there may be a general rule of thumb, but that general rule will all depend on what bore and stroke you are now.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,782, Posts: 229,966, Members: 3,339.
This forum: Topics: 37,099, Posts: 226,047.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009